Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Modding Sieges?  (Read 2099 times)

shackleton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding Sieges?
« on: August 24, 2008, 12:07:49 pm »

I've been messing around with the raw files for a while now, and I've come to a bit of a dead end. I've increased the dragon frequency, and I've made war between dwarves and goblins more likely. However, I want to make it so I get more goblin sieges, from an earlier population point, and larger in terms of goblin numbers also.

How do I make it so Goblin seiges come from population 40? And megabeasts?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Modding Sieges?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 12:16:55 pm »

Can't help you with megabeasts, but go to the goblin entity_default raw and remove [BABYSNATCHER] from the [EVIL] gob civ.

The gobs will no longer snatch babies, but when they used to send snatchers, you'll have ambushes and sieges instead.

Which means you might have an ambush/siege your second season running (If you have accrued decent wealth) and almost every season afterwards. It's fun for testing out your DF skills.

Good luck.

shackleton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 12:20:46 pm »

Thanks! Still, if you remove babysnatchers, do you still get all the babysnatched dwarves, elves and humans leading goblin armies?

I was hoping that there would be a file where I could change the arbitrary population=80 tag, or similar.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 12:45:29 pm »

The gobs will no longer snatch babies, but when they used to send snatchers, you'll have ambushes and sieges instead.

I thought ambushes were a feature of [BABYSNATCHER], not [SIEGER].  I seem to recall people mentioning that removing the former caused them to only siege your fortress ("vile force of darkness" and all that).

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 12:56:14 pm »

I thought ambushes were a feature of [BABYSNATCHER], not [SIEGER].  I seem to recall people mentioning that removing the former caused them to only siege your fortress ("vile force of darkness" and all that).

...yes, that's what he said.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 04:06:29 pm »

There was a recent thread about this of relavence. 

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=21550.0

One can no longer just remove the [BABYSNATCHER] tag: I did, and what I got was goblin caravans the next season.  You have to do as it advises and add some other tags to goblin, removing some things, ect.  It's straitforward.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 10:59:39 pm »

Yeah, civs without the BABYSNATCHER tag will only attack you now if they're actually at war with your civ.

Best thing you can do is add in more races with the BABYSNATCHER tag. You won't get sieges more often, but you will get snatchers and ambushes and whatnot more often, as you can get some from multiple races at once.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 01:18:10 pm »

Clearly you missed my point.  I was asking whether anyone at war with you will ambush, or if they must have the BABYSNATCHER tag to spring ambushes.

Also, if an entity does not have AMBUSHER, SIEGER, or BABYSNATCHER, I wonder how they handle war.  Will they only send ambush groups goblin-style?  Will they do nothing?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 01:39:20 pm »

Ah.

If a race does not have either BABYSNATCHER or AMUBSHER, they will only siege. Races with the AMBUSHER tag will siege, but their attacking force will show up hidden, like a goblin ambush.

The default action is to do what goblins do in sieges, which is mob the front gate as soon as possible.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 02:02:06 pm »

If you're still looking for a way to mod sieges without removing or adding tags, try changing

Code: [Select]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:2]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:2]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:2]

From 2 to 1. Theoretically, it should increase their attacks while still allowing baby snatching and the like.

tarsier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 03:34:39 pm »

I did the above for Kobolds and they began their mischevious antics much earlier than normal... added some good early game spice.

However, since I removed [BABYSNATCHER] from my Goblins before I generated the world, Goblins are now peaceful with everyone... so they aren't sieging me, they're sending trade caravans to me.
Too bad... I wanted bloodshed, and I get companionship. :(
My only hope now is to steal from their caravans till they get pissed off.

Is it true that I can't re-add babysnatcher without having to create a new save or world?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 02:28:53 am »

If you want permanently hostile goblins without babysnatcher, you need to get rid of their ability to speak (that way they can't form treaties, thus are permanently at war with everyone).

To do this you have to edit their creature entry. Replace [INTELLIGENT] with [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_CIV]. All INTELLIGENT does is give them CAN_LEARN, CAN_CIV, and CAN_SPEAK, so replacing it with that just effectively removes CAN_SPEAK.

Doing this will make them siege you *constantly.*

I did it on one fort and had a siege every single season, completely overwriting the human and elven caravans (taking their place) and usually killing off the dwarven caravan, since they came at the same time.

If you wanted to be able to trade, you could change around active seasons and have them only come certain seasons, alloting the other seasons to the caravans. I believe you can get a caravan coming at the same time as the dwarven one, so you could have elves/dwarves coming at the same time if you wanted and give goblins spring/winter as their sieging times. It gives you 1/2 as many sieges, but being able to actually trade for half the year is kind of nice.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 02:32:21 am »

Why would it overwrite a caravan? Even other caravans don't prevent each other from coming... I'd modded in a number of new civilizations and then got three caravans in spring...
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 02:41:25 am »

i think it is becouse caravan don't come in sieges so they don't let them come ...
however i am sad that no speak means always war :( i wanted to make a nice race with no ability to speak ... i hope this tag will be splitted in more ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 03:40:40 am »

Well in my test world I was running to see if my modifications to goblins and my plant changes were working right, I ran the fort for 3 quick years and a goblin siege came 4 times once per season for the last year, and both the elves and humans only came once - in the 2nd year. 3rd year had nothing but goblins, and nobody else showed up. So either the sieges are taking their place, or the siege just prevents them. I think I still got the dwarves though... I seem to recall the liason being eaten by goblins. Unless maybe they came right before the siege, I didn't really look to see.

I just copied my save from late Winter and loaded up one copy with sieges turned off (in init) and got elves in spring. Turned sieges back on and loaded the other winter copy and when Spring rolled around goblins came without elves.

As far as the lack of can_speak, it doesn't actually set it to permanent war, it just has the same general effect. It simply makes them have the little red ------------- thing. They will attack other races during world gen, and if you go into legends it mentions that the reason for the conflict was their inability to speak or make treaties (or something along those lines). They still make peace on and off, but they just keep going to war again. After world gen they just attack attack attack, the same as if they had babysnatcher.

It's basically the babysnatcher political effects without the babysnatching :)
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
Pages: [1] 2