Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legendary faster than mining?  (Read 1171 times)

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legendary faster than mining?
« on: August 23, 2008, 04:57:44 am »

Not sure if its faster but its damned fast to get a legendary clerk if you have your record keeping settings set to highest precision.
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary faster than mining?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 05:08:33 am »

I received pretty much the same thing with my clerk. I just gave my legendary miner/ex mayor a permanent job as a treasurer and he became a legendary clerk in just 2 seasons or so. I think it doesn't really matter, though. They update records pretty fast as it is.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 09:40:37 am »

Que up a lot of jobs in the manager (and I mean a lot)  And you can get leg organizer pretty quickly as well.

And Seige operator is SUPER easy, just wind them up, and let em go.  Takes longer, but you don't have to even touch em.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 12:23:24 pm »

Yea, asfar as i'm concerned i think its all way too fast.
How would one make dwarfs require more xp to level?
(Thinking about making a fortress wich can only have 1 dwarf per profession and it wouldn't be much fun if they reached legendary in maximum a year.)
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 02:41:33 pm »

The clerk/manager skill is even faster if you're doing a lot of mouse mining designation while they're working.  Apparently, input while designating stuff makes certain things act as though time is passing.  Keyboard designation doesn't produce much input, but mouse movement produces an absolutely huge amount of input messages in comparison.  (I don't think the erroneous time passage happens only once per tile, but rather once per mouse-movement message, which can happen multiple times per tile.  Keyboard input messages, on the other hand, generally occur only a few times per many tiles, when you do larger rectangles.)

It's certainly cheating if you do it on purpose, but it is possible that some people have been doing it without realizing it, and wondering how it is that there clerk is gaining experience so quickly.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 02:46:21 pm »

Huh. I always thought it was because people were keybinding the z-level-changing keys to , and . without rebinding the "go one step forward" key to something else and not realizing time was passing everytime they went down a level.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 03:17:26 pm »

No, no, no. Your clerk levels up pretty darn fast, mostly because he sits there and does work constantly until the stocks are how you want them. Unlike crafters, he gains experience constantly instead of whenever an item is made, and he does not stop working for a split second regularly to pick up materials.

Felix the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 06:15:50 pm »

Pump operator takes a little while longer but requires zero attention on your part. Good for getting attributes up on dwarves destined for the military.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 07:46:09 pm »

Pump operator takes a little while longer but requires zero attention on your part. Good for getting attributes up on dwarves destined for the military.

The job cancellation messages get very irritating quickly