Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Linux: A fix for FGLRX + Wine = gibberish  (Read 1869 times)

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Linux: A fix for FGLRX + Wine = gibberish
« on: August 22, 2008, 01:51:36 pm »

Hi there- I recently upgraded my system, and I'm currently using an ATI card that doesn't have free / open driver support. ATI / AMD's closed FGLRX driver is notoriously terrible, and sure enough launching DF via wine garbled the whole screen. In case anybody else was bit by this there is a very simple fix:

1. Open a console in your graphical environment
2. Type: export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
3. cd to your Dwarf Fortress directory
4. wine ./dwarfort.exe

Basically, this pipes the OpenGL command stream over the X protocol. This is slower for graphics intense things, but has the fine virtue of working. If you're too lazy to memorize it, try using your Bash history. It doesn't set the environment variable permanently, and when you close the console it goes away.

With the new graphics tweaks I found that:
[PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:35]

and

[G_FPS_CAP:15]

let's me embark in a 6x6 area with magma and a river at 100 fps. YMMV.

Only tested in windowed mode. Also, if it isn't too slow, and your chip is supported, save yourself the pain and use the free / open radeon or radeonhd drivers.

autophage

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Linux: A fix for FGLRX + Wine = gibberish
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 04:23:47 pm »

I've had no problems running fglrx/wine for DF.  It does work better with Compiz disabled, though.

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 04:45:40 pm »

I've had no problems running fglrx/wine for DF.  It does work better with Compiz disabled, though.

It's been pretty widely reported for the last 3 versions of the ATI driver, and for distros that package that. I don't run compiz myself (KDE 4.1 + KWin - Effects). If it hasn't bit you, I'm happy for you (non-sarcastically and everything).

Are you using indirect rendering by any chance?

glxinfo | grep direct

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 12:21:42 pm »

Hey ShadesJS, I'm still have trouble with this and you seem to know what your talking about :) I've set the settings you said but I get redraw issues when I tab from these forums back to the game. It doesn't seem to detect that it needs to redraw other bits or some such.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Without partial print I get the normal screen being redrawn through everything problem.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 12:32:59 pm by Shades »
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 11:43:37 am »

Just FYI,

Apparently the (evil) closed ATI driver had fixed the Wine issues, so the above shouldn't be necessary. The new driver hasn't hit the Debian repositories yet, so I can't say for sure.

Back to praying for Open Source R600 support for Christmas. :) (I'm using and integrated chip now, and I'd like to buy a passively cooled R600 discrete card as my gift to myself.)

Shades: You were in the other thread-- But other than broad, "Here's roughly the steps to try" type stuff (that I've already said.) it's really a royal PITA to debug other people's graphics stacks under Linux. If I recall, it sounds like you've kinda sorta got stuff fixed.