Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pissing off the elves  (Read 1537 times)

jpalan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Pissing off the elves
« on: August 21, 2008, 10:10:41 am »

So, elves got upset about the tree-felling, apparently they were trying to say that things may get violent. That's nice, so I ordered my legendary woodcutter to cut down every single tree in the entire map. Fortress entrance has a grid of 5x5 weapon traps, with each of them 10 weapons. It would be somewhat ironic, if the hippies attack and then the wooden corkscrews at the entrance gives each of the elves a new asshole. Well, at least they get a closer and more personal touch with their precious trees. ;D

But no attack yet. Instead, they ask me to cap the tree-fell to 100. Which brings the questions: which one is the better way to piss them off: to grant the request and keep on cutting the trees or deny it and keep on cutting the trees?

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Pissing off the elves
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 10:28:50 am »

Careful...
If they saw the traps while in your fortress they WILL bypass them when they come for a visit.

Best to rebuild them every time they come by to trade.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 10:59:41 am »

Better way of the two is deny it and keep cutting. If you accept, they'll be happy for a short while and just be whiny afterwards.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 11:55:12 am »

Due to a recent overhaul of the diplomacy system, I think it's no longer possible to piss off the elves enough to make them siege you (although it was possible to make them send sieges and ambushes in earlier versions).

Fortunately, the ability to drive the elves to war will be coming soon, maybe even before the end of the year if we're lucky.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

iskurthi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 12:18:19 pm »

Due to a recent overhaul of the diplomacy system, I think it's no longer possible to piss off the elves enough to make them siege you (although it was possible to make them send sieges and ambushes in earlier versions).

It is in fact possible to make the elves siege you, but you have to really work at it. Once I'd gotten sun berries and whip vine seeds from the local elves, I set about deliberately ignoring their whining about trees, nodding reassuringly every time their diplomat came with his ridiculous quota and proceeding to keep logging however fast I needed to.

They did eventually send a pretty pathetic assault group that was no match for the fortress defenders. This was followed by their diplomat showing up next spring with a "you know that thing where we tried to kill and eat you all, yeah, you know, we're going to look back on that and laugh one day, so, how about we just forget the whole unpleasant mess ever happened?"

They may eventually get annoyed enough to send a decent sized assault force...

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 01:15:17 pm »

Well, I'm trying some creative ways to piss them off. Opportunity hit me when an elven diplomat came to warn me about the ridicilous amounts of trees I've cut down.

The throne room where the meeting was held had a lava moat, so I just deconstructed the bridge. Thankfully, I was able to keep the duke and the mason on the right side.

Then I did some creative channeling on the floor above.

I think the statue was a nice touch.

Now, if this doesn't piss them off enough, I don't know what will.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 03:39:21 pm »

Dono if you can now.I think he was vital to the whole pissing off grand master plan.

Still... Satisfying.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 04:23:41 pm »

Oh, I thought that actually managing to kill a diplomat was one of the best ways to say "Come get me!" Is anyone sure about this? I might just let the diplomats live in the future then..

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 07:43:29 pm »

no diplomat iirc means that you just can't make peace
The great game of Warlocks!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 09:01:04 pm »

Kill all the caravans. Then make their bones into -elf bone amulets- and try to sell them to the next elven caravan. When they refuse, seize their stuff and kill them all. Repeat as many times as necessary.

I'm lucky: the dwarves in my current fortress are at war with the elves. Bwahahaha.

EvilCheerio

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats Candlejack doing h
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 09:07:07 pm »

Man, they started insulting me and telling me to cut down less tree's, if they ever send another caravan i'm totally stealing everything. My Engraver is already channeling my hatred of elves, possibly because of the tree's. I'm really beginning to hate elves, so they will not survive if they ever come to my fortress.
Delicious wine biscuits
 A real dwarf can survive on meals consisting of Wine, beer, and more wine.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 11:04:39 pm »

I installed my Trade Depot with a drown mechanism for a reason.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 05:42:20 pm »

I was hoping that stealing from their caravan every year would piss them off enough to attack me but nooooo
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus