Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I have a whole new respect for graphics creators  (Read 3009 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have a whole new respect for graphics creators
« on: August 19, 2008, 07:40:42 pm »

Took me all afternoon to scratch up some sub-par elves. Anyway, here they are, anyone want to take pity on me and give me a few tips?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tubi2b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have a whole new respect for graphics creators
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 07:58:14 pm »

ive never tried making custom graphics, but they look better than half the ones ive seen. The only thing i would change would be that it looks like the childs feet are backwards.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 08:16:39 pm »

Yeah, it looks awkward. Making it straighter should fix that, right now it looks like it's trying to brake on a slippery surface or something. Otherwise, this is a nice tileset. I can't give you much advice because I've got a very different style, except perhaps to remind you of the extreme importance of contrast when dealing with such small sprites.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 01:43:23 am »

Yeah, regarding contrast, I found it amazing how hard it is (for me) to find a shade of the color that I want that, without being garishly bright, actually looks like a color rather than a shade of white or black. Anyway, it got easier as I went along, and I now finally have a pack of domestic animals that I kind of like! Yay.

The mule and war dog still need some work.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 02:24:45 am »

the first of the second line is it okapi or quagga?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 02:55:10 am »

Haha, it's an appaloosa mule--said it needed some work. Though I guess it's not too far off from a quagga in species or color. I threw some spots on it because all my other animals turned out so...gray, but I'm thinking about changing it.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 03:55:05 am »

I've been playing around with tiles in DF and my, it looks a lot wierd, especially since there's some default colors like white sand and marble that don't mix so well with the colors on some graphics.

On the other hand, I've learned that engravings look a lot nicer with custom graphics :)
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 07:48:19 am »

Well its a good start I would say.. :)
Actually its impossible to make a good looking 16x16 tileset anyway, since all of the tiles are so small...
If you have at least 1680x1050 resolution, go for a 32x32 tileset imo. That will look much better.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 09:16:10 am »

Actually its impossible to make a good looking 16x16 tileset anyway, since all of the tiles are so small...
If you have at least 1680x1050 resolution, go for a 32x32 tileset imo. That will look much better.

Hmmmm.... how big are the sprites from SMW?
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 09:22:04 am »

Wait, do they have almost black bodies? How do they look on generic black background?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 10:16:05 am »

Hmmmm.... how big are the sprites from SMW?

SMW?  ???

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 11:48:16 am »

Super Mario World
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 06:26:10 pm »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 10:39:27 pm »

Wait, do they have almost black bodies? How do they look on generic black background?

I think they show up fairly well. Mostly in silhouette, though. Maybe I should make go for a lighter shade of blue.

Ahaha, yeah, that would be nice. I'm working with 1280x800 here, though. Stupid laptop. Maybe on my parents' computer...

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 06:07:31 am »

So I've finally started on what I meant to do all along, which was human profession graphics. I'm pretty happy with them so far. L-R: brewer, cook, farmer (drew him with a plump helmet, oops) herbalist, planter, woodcutter, peasant, child, drunk.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 11:52:13 pm by 1138 »
Pages: [1] 2