Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any Suggestions For a Full Rebuilding?  (Read 1604 times)

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
Any Suggestions For a Full Rebuilding?
« on: August 16, 2008, 11:33:39 pm »

I am a novice modder, but I would love to make a full remake of DF. Any suggestions on what to do? I think I will download two more copies of the most recent version, that way I have a reference. I don't need suggestions on what to make, just how to make it. I also don't have anything I need direct help in, just need advice from the pros. Thanks!

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: Any Suggestions For a Full Rebuilding?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 11:46:53 pm »

You might try the modding guide to start with. When modding I always have a firefox window open with 5 or 6 entity lists tabbed so I can switch back and browse through them on a whim.

The easiest things to mod are entities (civs/races) and creatures. Now that you can also edit the world gen parameters, you can do all kinds of fun stuff that you never could before, like make an entirely frozen world where all the creatures are made of ice, or something wacky like that.

I always do a bit of modding at a time, gen a fresh world, and test it before moving on. This helps drastically to cut down on the debugging time when you've done something that crashes the game. The easiest way to mod: just do it! If you break your game just delete it and make a new one. Pretty easy.

Hope that helps!

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 12:14:24 am »

Thanks! I have already encountered my first hangup, I deleted just about everything in the raws, so the only thing in existence are dwarves. There are no creatures BUT dwarves. No weapons, clothes, ammo etc. The world genned fine, but it said No Trade next to dwarves in the Civ Screen. How do I fix this, because I certainly don't want this in the final game! Is it possible I removed a certain tag from dwarves by accident?

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 01:08:34 am »

They won't be able to trade with you if you remove the pack/wagon animals. You expect dwarves to haul all that crap on their backs?  ;)

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 01:12:07 am »

Personaly, I (being a puny excuse for a modder) would delete everything from the files themselves, leaving the txt documents there to be filled with my utter cleverness
Maybe dwarves have nothing to trade...and thus no purpose for living
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 01:17:54 am »

Good point Teldin.  ;D

Edit: I just tried actually making a fort, and it crashed the game, why? I am sure there is more than one possible reason, can anyone tell me what they think?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 01:21:14 am by magikarcher »

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 01:36:12 am »

There are a lot of reasons, more than likely having to do with not having enough creatures to fill the zones in. Make sure you also check errorlog.txt (in the same folder as dwarfort.exe), it will give you some explanations at why you crashed.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 01:39:06 am »

I think this is a bit much to do.  ;D  I have a tendency to be bit enthusiastic... Thanks for your help though! I am going to make smaller mods, like new animals and monsters.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 01:46:45 am »

I tried different total conversions. I've made a Forgotten Realms, Middle Earth t.c. and now I'm working on Fallout mod.
The main problem with these for me was that I was bored at some point and stopped updating them.
Finally you revert to the vanilla and try something new.

But now there's a Sean Mirrsen's modbase which allows easy modular loading of different modifications, and I enjoyed making components for it. You may try to start there, this way your mod won't be lost as "obsolete" and will forever remain in the modbase list for someone to use. Just check already existing things to avoid duplicating something that is already done and add your own stuff. Good luck with that.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 01:52:48 am »

Deon,

I tried downloading Modbase but it said I needed some program to do so. I think it is zipped with something my computer can't unzip. I just use the standard windows zipper, and my computer is only 1 year old. Technically the computer is only 5-6 months old because I completely deleted everything on it in March, then reinstalled Windows. So I should be up to date if that makes any difference on anything. Can you troubleshoot the Modbase thing for me?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 02:38:12 am »

Do you mean that you don't have Winrar? It's a free and most popular archivator.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 04:23:33 am »

In the same theme as this post, I am wondering if anyone done a bare minimum mod.
A mod where everything thats possible have been removed, leaving enough stuff to make the world generate and populate aka no errors but nothing more, one weapon called weapon, one bird called bird, one fish called fish, one controllable race called controllable, one megabeast called megabeast?

You get the idea. :P

Anyone? ^^
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 10:14:10 am »

In the same theme as this post, I am wondering if anyone done a bare minimum mod.
A mod where everything thats possible have been removed, leaving enough stuff to make the world generate and populate aka no errors but nothing more, one weapon called weapon, one bird called bird, one fish called fish, one controllable race called controllable, one megabeast called megabeast?

You get the idea. :P

Anyone? ^^

Yes someone make this please.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 03:36:53 pm »

That is a pretty cool idea.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 06:43:15 pm »

I'm working on this now, but it seems to crash fairly frequently so it'll take some more work. I think there are some issues with deleting most of the plants.
Pages: [1] 2