Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cybersphere (Best MOO ever)  (Read 5212 times)

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cybersphere (Best MOO ever)
« on: August 15, 2008, 10:07:41 am »

http://cs.vv.com/game/index.html

Cybersphere is basically a MOO (Like a MUD) online.  It is based on cyberpunk concepts and ideals (High level of technology, corporate power) it has a highly developed system of medicine/injury/vehicles/the matrix (Like the internet!) and combat.  It's Role-play enforced and it takes a bit to get everything down (And a decade to learn everything) but it will suck you in if it gets a chance.  It also has clones and permanent death.  Clones are good and cheap.  Character generation can also be very very detailed.  I figure any people who can plat ASCII games can play this, give it a chance.

Also forums (unofficial but most used) at www.newcarthage.net

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cybersphere (Best MOO ever)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 01:46:41 pm »

Page Load Error. Did we perhaps Slashdo- er, Dwarffort the site with traffic?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 01:52:45 pm »

Jeez, did Michael Scott write the introduction text?  It's so...  Michael Scott.
Shoes...

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 02:25:37 pm »

Yeah, I think he's giving my imagination a little too much credit. It always goes back to people throwing sharks at each other.

Anyway, how ironic. I just had a craving for a Neuromancer/Shadowrun/Cyberpunk/Dystopian game.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 03:06:40 pm »

Best if you don't mind spending years doing nothing to increase your skills.

*coughs*

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 03:45:20 pm »

Holy crap.  I actually found this MOO completely by random back in like, 2001, and took a liking to it.  Then I finally tried making a new character and the tutorial was borked, so I couldn't complete it and actually join.  And the mods were dicks to new people.

Wow, memories of the internet revolution.  I'm amazed the thing is still around.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 01:16:34 pm »

Yeah, I think he's giving my imagination a little too much credit. It always goes back to people throwing sharks at each other.

Oh gosh.  Yesterday I was playing Dungeons and Dragons so I had my imagination overclocked, and it overheated really badly, and partially melted.  A heatsink fell off of it and hit the processor and now I can't do math.  It's gonna cost so much to replace this stuff, my mom's going to be pissed.
Shoes...

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 07:10:12 pm »

Oh gosh.  Yesterday I was playing Dungeons and Dragons so I had my imagination overclocked, and it overheated really badly, and partially melted.  A heatsink fell off of it and hit the processor and now I can't do math.  It's gonna cost so much to replace this stuff, my mom's going to be pissed.

Best snark ever

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 10:36:11 pm »

You think that's bad. I installed one of those new PhysX cards into my brain, and it fried. Well, my imagination still works, but I have to tie myself down with an anchor before I go to bed at night, or risk floating into space.

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 07:51:05 am »

I've always been a fan of Core 2651 (now "Core MUD"), which puts the player in a future space colony.  There's a player driven economy, free housing after level 3, a stock market based on raw materials, and you can even get a job as a miner.  With a work shift and everything!  A really good game if you like sci-fi themes.  Haven't played it in a while, so I guess it's changed a bit.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 07:54:35 am by wallish »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 09:17:48 am »

Core 2651 has been the same for years now. ;) ... Except for the updates here and there, but in essence, it's the same... It's a good mud, if you like minigames and socialization.

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 12:37:16 pm »

Core 2651 has been the same for years now. ;) ... Except for the updates here and there, but in essence, it's the same... It's a good mud, if you like minigames and socialization.

Yeah, decided to start playing it again.  They've made it easier for new players and added a few other things.  Apparently they're jonesing for area builders and quest makers.  The main coder made a toolkit for quest creation as well, and it's possible for players to build areas after they've bought some sort of automated drilling thing (which I don't remember being there before).  Should help expand the game, as one of the problems is the area is tiny compared to most MUDS/MOOS/MUCKS.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Core Mud
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 01:51:43 pm »

i did not like to sell blood to make money....the economy in core mud was based on siphoning blood from low players to sell at shops to high players...mining was ok but there was no exitement(risk) involved and the pay was lousy...and i did not like having a limited shift in which to mine...if i want to mine all day, let me mine all day.

I am enjoying Core Exiles a lot as a miner...better economy.  I'm a player-based-economy freak when it comes to muds and MMORPGs...
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Core Mud
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 03:30:45 pm »

i did not like to sell blood to make money....the economy in core mud was based on siphoning blood from low players to sell at shops to high players...mining was ok but there was no exitement(risk) involved and the pay was lousy...and i did not like having a limited shift in which to mine...if i want to mine all day, let me mine all day.

I am enjoying Core Exiles a lot as a miner...better economy.  I'm a player-based-economy freak when it comes to muds and MMORPGs...

Hmm, never heard of Core Exiles before.  Looks interesting.  Is the pay-for-privileges system broken at all?  In all the browser games I've played that had the "premium" system (OGame, Gladiatus, & Ikariam especially since they're all from the same company) end up revealing the need to pay really quick.  Oh, sure, you can play the game without paying for a thing.  But they're so crippled that it's almost like a level cap.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 06:15:46 pm »

Yeah, decided to start playing it again.  They've made it easier for new players and added a few other things.  Apparently they're jonesing for area builders and quest makers.  The main coder made a toolkit for quest creation as well, and it's possible for players to build areas after they've bought some sort of automated drilling thing (which I don't remember being there before).  Should help expand the game, as one of the problems is the area is tiny compared to most MUDS/MOOS/MUCKS.

I'm going to start playing it again soon, maybe tonight. Hope to see you there.
Pages: [1] 2