Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: War Dogs!  (Read 2808 times)

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War Dogs!
« on: August 11, 2008, 02:06:28 pm »

This may be kinda random, but I just  noticed that my wardog that took out a kobold thief now has a name despite still being 'stray'  I knew other critters could get named, but I didn't realize my critters could as well.  thought that was just awesome :)
Demon of Darkness

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Dogs!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 02:40:15 pm »

Wardogs do tend to rip kobolds apart, it's not uncommon. ;D
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 02:46:16 pm »

Heh, yeah. Your dogs can get names faster than your dwarves, even if said names are usualy 'One-Eyed, One Legged Walking Rations'

Taking advantage of the broad topic... I remember when I was first checking out the status screen for my war dogs, I saw the 'ready for slaughter' option for the first time, and cheerfully checked it off, thinking that they'd be ready to slaughter the enemy any time now...

Dog meat biscuts enojyed a brief surge in popularity.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 03:00:08 pm »

lmao  that's just a little whoopsie, huh?  I've got Mengosed the WarDog chained just inside the double doors waiting for the next sorry bugger to stick his head through.  wish I could craft some leatherarmor for him.  metal would realistically weigh him down too much, but I ca't see too much of a problem with leather...  I'd have the first wardog military ;)
Demon of Darkness

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 03:13:31 pm »

Who needs wardogs? I'm using tame polar bears instead. It was quite a treat seeing two polar bears rush a goblin snatcher.  :D And here i thought they'd just run away like everyone else.

Now if i could only catch a female in my current fortress, then we'd be in business.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 03:16:41 pm »

I have wardogs chained to the entrance on the inside of my fortress but none of them have ever lasted long enough to get names. They're the first to get shot to pieces by goblin attack squads :'(

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »

I have wardogs chained to the entrance on the inside of my fortress but none of them have ever lasted long enough to get names. They're the first to get shot to pieces by goblin attack squads :'(

How do they get shot to pieces? They're inside!

Anyways, my experiences with war-dogs usually go well, just chain them close to the entrances and let them rip apart any thieves. Keeps them out of the way of goblins as well...
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 05:06:42 pm »

I have no idea, but I usually get the message 'Stray War Dog (Tame) has been shot and killed.' instead of 'bled to death' if I recall correctly :) The chain is a little way back from the 3-wide ramp I have set up for the wagons so that's probably why.

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 06:11:09 pm »

Wardogs are extremely handy to have around. They reproduce quickly, can do some damage, and are delicious. These days I always make sure to bring at least five with me.

Here's an amusing trap for your entrance hall:

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 07:29:18 pm »

Recently, I started in a haunted are with a large river. Of course, my guys were kinda stupid with the wagon, which stopped right in front of the river. In five seconds, a war dog is dragged under, and the river turns red.

Of course, it wasn't the dogs blood, but rather about 10 carp or so that dared attack him.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 07:33:46 pm »

Dogs are your anti-carp. But I gotta say, I like that dog trap. Release the flesh eating dogs of war!

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 10:12:16 pm »

Wardogs are extremely handy to have around. They reproduce quickly, can do some damage, and are delicious. These days I always make sure to bring at least five with me.

Here's an amusing trap for your entrance hall:

Interesting :) . But how do you place your dogs in the holes behind the doors?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 10:29:40 pm »

He pits them from the top. Nice trap by the way.

Wardogs are always handy to keep around. Just don't get attached to any of them as they usually are something along the lines of a one use missile where they either die or get seriously wounded after attacking one thing (that isn't a kobold or a groundhog).

I use them to saturate my defense so that no dwarf is unprotected at any time. I also have a mod with war spiders, which are weaker than dogs, but have webbing to trap creatures. Really cool when a spider webs a goblin, then the dogs rip it to shreds.

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 10:41:42 pm »

I give em all to one dwarf who I only train a little bit for survival, that way, if he goes bezerk because all of his dogs are dying then he will be easy to finish, actually the dogs usually do the job for me :P

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 11:08:06 pm »

He pits them from the top.

That's what I thought. I suppose that means you have to deactivate your other dump zones when you dump dogs, or do dwarves automatically pick the dump zone the closest to the cage?
Pages: [1] 2 3