Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: None-Linear, Open-ended, Multiple Choice Games.  (Read 7022 times)

Revvy1911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
None-Linear, Open-ended, Multiple Choice Games.
« on: August 09, 2008, 05:02:43 am »

I have none to mind which is why I am wondering what the wonderful public has to offer. Any games that you can list, that has a story but enables you to do what you want making various choices good/evil. Different factions/jobs you can do, different ways to approach the game.. Generally games that are replayable. (A LA FALLOUT 2) However it can be any type of non-linear game like for example Liberty Crime Squad is by far one of the games i've been waiting for, for a long time.. IF there are more games like that where you have choices, can get in trouble by law, whither or not its a text-based roguelike or graphical I dont' care! Let me know where it is! etc etc then i'd be in heaven... And.. Go!

(Basically games where theres a world, or galaxy, and your free to do whatever you want to achieve your goals within the games limits. No Elder Scrolls games please  ;D)

Edit: I'll list a few to start

Space Rangers 1-2 http://www.spacerangers2.com/
Fallout 1-2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_2  (I doubt you need a link)
Eschalon Book 1 http://basiliskgames.com/book1.html
Smugglers 1-2-3-4 http://www.nielsbauergames.com/smugglers3.html
Liberal Crime Squad [!]
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 03:52:17 pm by Revvy1911 »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: None-Linear, Open-ended, Multiple Choice Games.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 07:45:09 am »

Liberty Crime Squad [!]

Liberal crime squad.

Also, I can vouch for the quality of LCS. It's an awesome game.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 08:54:41 am »

Geneforge: http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/geneforge/ All of Spiderweb Software's games are like this, but the geneforge series especially. There are three sides you can choose from, and if you want you can switch between them at the last moment. The final bosses are even set up this way: (you can choose to talk to them rather than attacking them.) 

Not to mention that there are about 15+ endings, and you can even win by talking people into destroying themselves.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 08:58:12 am by Gigalith »
Check out my books at O and H Books

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 03:13:55 pm »

King of Dragon Pass was a good game, altho not exactly open ended.

Revvy1911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 03:53:17 pm »

I've heard of the geneforge games and checked them out, they are the type of games I am talking about.. Keep more coming guys, I am sure there has to be a list of these somewhere.. At least we could use this topic for reference.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 04:00:18 pm »

Well, there's Oblivion.  It's a terribly boring and unoriginal game that butchered the lore of the previous games in the series, but it's open ended in that you can wander around killing things and picking herbs all you want, or you can complete a number of linear quests, like saving the world, whenever you feel like getting around to it, or you can refuse them and choose to do them later.  I guess you could say the game gives you allot of choices, but pretty much none of them actually matter.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Revvy1911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 04:28:32 pm »

No Elder Scrolls games please  ;D)

Oblivion is an -okay- game, but like you said, it gets boring too fast and the stuff you do have no effect what so ever on the world. Let's hope Fallout 3 dosn't suffer the same fate.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 06:26:50 pm »

Oh sorry, I missed that.  I've been following Fallout 3 and everything I've seen so far has made me think it's not going to be much better.  It seems like there will be some consequences for your choices this time, though the only example I've seen is that retarded blow up Megaton thing.  Everything else about that game looks so bad that a few choices with consequences really won't make up for it for me.

Hey, what about Elite?

There's also a PS2 game called Way of the Samurai that's very multi-linear.  There are like seven different ending depending on your choices, but the game is pretty short.  The conversations in that game were kind of cool too because you could choose when to speak as well as what to say.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 06:30:04 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 02:13:29 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Nonlinear_video_games
It has no fallout/elite/space rangers.

But you know what?! Guess which game is in the list? :)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 02:19:44 am »

Basically games where theres a world, or galaxy, and your free to do whatever you want to achieve your goals within the games limits.
Heroes of might and magic series.
Ultima series.
Elite.
Simcity series
Civilization I-IV (a world to conquer :))
GTA
Mafia
Transport tycoon (there're many others but I prefer the original one)
Freelancer
X series
Daggerfall (eh, no ES? Why? Buggerfall and Morrowind were great for me)

There're many others. You didn't specify a genre =).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 03:12:08 pm »

Mafia isn't non-linear.  It's got a large open world, but the game is very structured and mission based, and you go straight from the end of the previous one into the next.  Though that makes it sound bad I guess... Well it's very plot centric.  It's basically like a Mafia movie that you play.  Of course it's action scenes are more plentiful and over the top in order to have a decent amount of gameplay.

It's still a really good game, but definitely not non-linear.

Freelancer allows you a bit of roaming but the plot missions are totally linear and generally you just trigger the next one by getting a certain amount of net worth.  It's also pretty centered around the plot if you want interesting gameplay.  You can only have one ship at a time and all you can do without following the plot is trade and kill things to get more money and upgrade your ship.  You also can't really go anywhere too far away from the area of the plot.  Even places you've been before.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 03:18:17 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 03:18:06 pm »

I assume that any City Building game is 'Open ended' by definition. And since that's true, play Tropico. You won't regret wasting your hours trying to get your Communist islanders a respectable cigar industry.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 05:11:01 pm »

There's also a PS2 game called Way of the Samurai that's very multi-linear.  There are like seven different ending depending on your choices, but the game is pretty short.  The conversations in that game were kind of cool too because you could choose when to speak as well as what to say.
I enjoyed this game a lot! It's great cause you can beat it in 20 minutes but you are going to play thru it several dozen times.
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 06:12:54 pm »

nevermind. I'm stupid.  :D
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 07:24:22 pm »

By the way the term is nonlinear, not none-linear. :P

What about Evochron Renegades?  Seems interesting, though I haven't tried it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 05:06:27 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5