Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mining for fish  (Read 1723 times)

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
Mining for fish
« on: August 05, 2008, 08:24:58 pm »

Am I alone in that I was surprised to learn that you can designate river tiles for channeling?

As many of you may know, the tops of some streams, brooks, and rivers count as solid surfaces, allowing caravans, dwarves, and fortress to be built on the surface of rivers. What I didn't realize is that this surface can be breached with picks, turning the river water into the barrier that the average pond presents.

This little discovery hardly possesses much value, but I feel that I might potentially have never known about it for the rest of my days. So I decided to bring it to the attention of others.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Mining for fish
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 08:35:10 pm »

It's not "some streams, brooks, and rivers," it's just brooks that are solid surfaces. This is because there's no way to represent shallow water given the current fluid system, so it's a bit of a compromise between Toady and his creation.

And yes, most of us already knew this.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 08:38:23 pm »

It isn't completely useless information though. Waterwheels do not work on brooks, but channeling out the tiles lets the waterwheels work.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 08:41:02 pm »

And yes, most of us already knew this.
It's true. Sorry!

And yes, only for brooks. I imagine that when channelling, a miner is chipping away any larger rocks and pebbles to allow more room for drowning a water wheel.
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 08:44:24 pm »

I sure as hell didn't know that, for one.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 08:58:02 pm »

How I mine for fish?

Anyway...

That out of the way, I love channeling brooks. It's helped make some natural moats for a few fortresses of mine. Just find an area with a brook that splits up some sections of a mountain, channel out the brook between those sections, and plop down your bridge (obviously with some open water on both sides). Done!

Until you realize that the water freezes in winter... :'(
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 09:05:11 pm »

And here I was thinking you modded in a stone that drops fish when mined...

A darn shame.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 09:11:44 pm »

I seem to recall somebody tried that. The forum search is still useless, so I can't seem to find it, but I seem to recall some caveat or other--it could only drop vermin fish, or he had to smelt it first, or something. Much less climactic than such an achievement deserves.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 09:15:51 pm »

yah, me too.

Only I thought you mined frozen blocks of carp or something... shame.

Some MMPORGS are like playing that poor cheeserdwarf that has to go down the dungeon to haul out loads of rock just to get 5buckcent for each load. heh

edit: are you referring to fishy alchemy?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 09:25:59 pm »

And here I was thinking you modded in a stone that drops fish when mined...

A darn shame.

Grelphy pretty much got it right. Someone tried, but it ended up as a failure.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 10:58:18 pm »

The forum search is still useless,
I could swear it is worse

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 11:22:29 pm »

, or he had to smelt it first, or something.

indeed, you can make a reaction that lets you smelt anything.  i dont know if you can get actual LIVING fish out of it, but you can sure get the dead ones.  probably either processed or not, depending on the matgloss or whatever.

so you could easily make a stone that is smeltable into fish.  or you could make a reaction that turns any stone into meat.  it would be like the old stone-to-flesh spell.

Nomadic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 11:36:26 pm »

I wonder if you could mod a stone that is smeltable into a cage with a caged goblin wrestler...

I mean... for science and all...

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 11:43:14 pm »

smelt it first,

haha smelt.  That made me laugh.

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 02:57:15 am »

*a booming voice rings out* IT WAS I! I MADE THE MINEABLE FISH *then starts choking*

But ya i did that, was quite fun, made rock seems of fish, which could then be smelted from a rock called fish into a fish.. but it never worked quite right. you could cook with it and dwarves would eat it though.. i was trying to make like.. carp rock or something, that would smelt into a raw fish that then had to be processed. the idea was like, they are frozen underground and smelting them melted the ice, leaving behind an oddly fresh fish.

If anyone wants to try it was rather easy to do, just could not get the matgloss for the smelting to make an exact species of fish from a stone ;-;

EDIT: as grelphy said, ya it made a vermin out of em but it was semi usable. you can read about the issue on the wiki i think, where setting certain matgloss materials results in getting certain animals but they don't work right.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 03:14:57 am by nicholasneko »
Pages: [1] 2