Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: DwarfHeightmap 1.2 - a program to import heightmaps into Dwarf Fortress  (Read 44681 times)

Mullog

• Bay Watcher
  • Why do my dwarves die???
    • View Profile
Re: DwarfHeightmap - a program to import heightmaps into Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2008, 01:43:31 pm »

Epic.  You are a king.

Oh, no. Your program is the king!
What changes are you planning btw?

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2008, 02:03:58 pm »

Refactoring of code, possible (limited) editing of existing world_gen.txt maps, sliders to set world minimums and stop the infinite reject problem, support for more than just 24bit images, and stuff.  After that, I'm likely to go back to the language generator I never finished.

-Angry Lawyer

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2008, 03:21:33 pm »

Edit:
Here you go

Ah sweet. Just genned a world on your template, the whole place is surrounded by haunted mountains. Too cool.

Neat.  Though I was sure that I had specified savagery values using a different "texture" than the terrain, whereas that one looks like it used the same one.
Here's what I used:

Temp and rainfall were vertical and horizontal linear gradients, and elevation was a circular one.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2008, 04:33:36 pm »

I nulled out most of the minimum values, that may explain the difference. I'm impatient  :D
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2008, 05:26:29 pm »

I nulled out most of the minimum values, that may explain the difference. I'm impatient  :D

Oh, that most certainly had an effect, but the savagery shouldn't have ended up in rings like that.

Anyway, I'm toying more with GIMP's tools to see if I can "midpoint dispace" my savagery and other values so that they're less paternistic.  Doing pretty well so far, I even added some randomness to the height map (did a spread of the pixels so that light and dark gets a little fuzzy, and then did a motion blur on that almost simulating erosion (it's a "zoom" blur, where it pushes things around out from the center)) which made some near-shore islands.

Used the above bmp (the spiraly thing) for volcanism and didn't end up with enough volcanoes.  Weird.  Anyway, that was the only rejection type before it got a world that went into history gen.

World done.  Hmm...not enough savagery.  Only a couple smallish purple areas.  Sigh, megabeats were dead (mostly, it hit that 80% number) by year 300 or sooner.  Hmm...
*Ditches the world and tweaks some more*

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2008, 06:53:30 pm »

Oooh, I figured out what it is.  Purple areas (and blackened) are EVIL, not SAVAGE.  No f*ing wonder.  DF still does the evil calculation on its own, the painting system can't effect it.  Interesting how your [evil] ended up only on mountains (and no where else).

Now, time for more fooling around!

Found my volcano problem.  After I added an offset of 40 (first value I tried after 0) I got no rejects.  Seems a little odd, as the bmp I imported was nearly all white (visual perception--GIMP says the upper half of the spectrum is 66% of the pixels, top quarter is 22%).

Edited the bmp so the top 1/4 was 42% of the pixels.  Still not enough volcanoes.  82%: STILL not enough.  100%: STILL not enough volcanoes.  0%: not enough, as expected.  Looks like DHM's volcanism painter isn't working right.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 07:19:53 pm by Draco18s »

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2008, 02:09:30 am »

One way to check - open the genned map in DF's map painter, and switch the view to "volcanism only" - if everything's smooth colour, you know my program's in need of a bugfix.

-Angry Lawyer

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2008, 03:18:19 am »

If anyone knows where to find height/temp/rainfall maps of cappadocia(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappadocia), I'd be very grateful.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 03:19:58 am by Fourth Triad »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2008, 03:38:07 am »

One way to check - open the genned map in DF's map painter, and switch the view to "volcanism only" - if everything's smooth colour, you know my program's in need of a bugfix.

I did a randomized map and imported, they did show up (variations and such) but I still had to offset volcanism by ~30 or it wouldn't gen.

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2008, 03:43:01 am »

Isn't there a way to controll good/evil areas in the same way. i want a gradiant that goes from good ->Neutral -> Evil
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2008, 04:00:05 am »

Isn't there a way to controll good/evil areas in the same way. i want a gradiant that goes from good ->Neutral -> Evil

Not that I know of.  I wish there was, it would solve so many headaches I had with my craterworld.

On a side note, I got bored.

Thanks goes to Nargus for making the depicted critters and to Linden Labs for Second Life's ability to snapshot depth maps (if at horrible resolution).

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2008, 04:34:37 am »

If anyone knows where to find height/temp/rainfall maps of cappadocia(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappadocia), I'd be very grateful.

I'll write up a tutorial on how to get hightmaps at some point.

-Angry Lawyer

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2008, 09:13:32 am »

Draco, you're awesome. I've always wanted a fort on a dinosaur. I'll try something like that after I'm done with my current one.

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2008, 11:15:45 am »

Jim Adkins laughs at your feeble attempts at world generation.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ha ha ha ha ha.

-Angry Lawyer

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2008, 02:11:19 pm »

Hey Angry Lawyer, could you post the init for the UK map pretty please?
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10