Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 46

Author Topic: Underground Diversity  (Read 136126 times)

vanarbulax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Top10 Underground Diversity Discussion
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2008, 04:21:51 pm »

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2008, 06:07:52 pm »

Yes, exactly like that.   ;)
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2008, 09:24:14 pm »

GCS: aren't the "baby" GCS just CS? And how does making the GCS intelligent affect the player? Also, spiders don't have any lore around them concerning domestication: they catch in webs and eat hapless intruders.

River Lairs: Would these be water filled? Would they be connected to the river already? If not: what has the !Carp! been eating?

---

These are both avenues that could be developed more into solid additions. However just making an inside carp joke has about as much impact on the game as making an inside elephant joke. The race of intelligent spiders is something I have been trying to work out as well, but they need to have a unique identity other than "is bad for you". Otherwise we gain nothing over the already well implemented GCS lairs.

Sprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2008, 11:12:18 pm »

The Ryth is an order of giant spiders that gained intellegence a long time ago due to the meddlings of an insane wizard.

They are spiders- thus they do not possess thumbs and thus do not build things or use tools.

However, they can dig with great skill with their large mandibles, and their silk can be hardened to form an effective wall.

They are burrowers- carving out tunnels and nests deep inside caverns, abandoned mine shafts and the like, spinning great webs much like their unintellegent cousins.

Each lair is controlled by a Broodmother, a massive spider capable of swallowing a man whole. Laying massive clutches of eggs at a time, the Broodmother spins a great web where she and her children thrive, grow, and wait... for when their lair is breached by some poor miner, the world will be their new home.

Occasionally, the Ryth come into possession of civilized creatures, sometimes when they accidentally breach their lair, and sometimes when they happen to 'fall' in through a sinkhole. These poor men and dwarves and preferably elves are kept in massive cages, forced to breed to feed the bloodthirsty Ryth.

In more technical terms, occasionally during worldgen, a Ryth nest will spawn on a map tile anywhere. An average Ryth nest contains:

One Broodmother Megabeast. Think of it like a giant giant giant mega cave spider of doom.

A whole bunch of large spiders. They function like ants, with various professions assigned at birth, ranging from soliders to workers to thieves capable of tunneling to the surface and stealing children, adults, and cats.

An even BIGGER number of tiny spiders. Not cave spider vermin, but spider hatchlings. Ryth take a long time to mature, and they don't always survive. The tiny spiders aren't dangerous by themselves, but a whole bunch of them will usually end up with the victim being eaten alive, piece by piece.

A few human/dwarf/elf slaves. There will only be one kind, based on what kind of settlement is closer. These are treated as livestock, constantly breeding, and being eaten by the Ryth. By the time worldgen is complete, these prisoners have lost all hope and will serve the spiders without question, with the exeption of the occasional rebellion. Which usually consists of one person trying to escape, and promptly being eaten by something.

The nests would contain a massive number of webs, but visible. These range from the massive web that the broodmother sits on, to solidified webbing forming walls and the like.

There are also glowing crystals/mushrooms everywhere which should provide light when the lighting arc is in. They could be harvested by dwarves to provide easy light sources.

On a scale of 1-10, I rate the difficulty of this encounter a 9.

The Ryth aren't AS bloodthristy as the GCS, but they come close. The caverns are huge, and thus you won't fight too many spiders at once, and the broodmother would be a pain to fight, (seeing as how she can swallow you whole.) but once artifacts have magical properties, a nice !!fire imp bone crown of resist webbing!! should keep you safe. Well, sort of.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2008, 02:24:00 am »

I've finished separating out water and magma specific suggestions. Water is pretty endowed, but magma could do with another suggestion or two. I thought about putting in fault subduction zones for an interesting twist, but these can be easily handled via the magma aquifer if it gets in.

Broke the list up some more, added color to some sections to make the wall easier to read.

Seeking ideas on flora, non intelligent creatures (maybe a semi or mega beast?), magma features.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2008, 04:05:13 am »

Branching magma pipes would be nice... So, instead of just the single tube, you have one main tube with maybe 2 or 3 smaller pipes that either end before the surface or rise out on their own. Actually, a wider variety of shapes for all the underground features would be nice...

For the megabeast, how about something that arrives from a different direction, such as rising out of the aquifer or the magma? A whopping great fire snake, water elementals or even a invasion of magma men, a la the chasm ambushes of 2d?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2008, 05:03:54 am »

Concerning underground flora, there could be a nasty fungus with an accelerated growth rate that rapidly fills all tiles it can get to (and block access). You could of course, chop it down with axes. Maybe there could be a "mother" fungus tile that, when chopped down, stops the growth.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

vanarbulax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2008, 06:56:31 am »

I'm surprised it hasn't been suggested yet but it doesn't seem to be in the list currently: Creatures made out of rock.

You can have rock titans as megabeasts and you can have smaller creatures which live "with" the rock. For example they might have an outer shell of rock and might even eat rock to get the minerals needed to form the large shell deposits. Obviously they would need to eat flesh as well, dwarves being the preferable light snack.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2008, 07:09:19 am »

Each lair is controlled by a Broodmother, a massive spider capable of swallowing a man whole.
Spiders don't have mouths...
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Sprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2008, 08:56:02 am »

Each lair is controlled by a Broodmother, a massive spider capable of swallowing a man whole.

Yes, but this is a fantasy world. EVERYTHING has mouths.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2008, 09:25:16 am »

Yes, but this is a fantasy world. EVERYTHING has mouths.
And roars frequently when chasing prey.

Ontopic, I would like to see more little things. Blocks of ice underground that reveal chainsaw axe wielding murderdwarves. Ash around a lone trapped spirit of fire. Just unusual underground materials surrounding something strange, weather it be good or bad.
 You could uncover the preserved body of a live ancient Dwarven champion, complete with masterwork armor and weapons who will fight for your fortress 'till the death. Artifacts preserved from age 0 in blocks of underground obsidian. Perhaps even uncover the Heart of Lorkhan. Whatever.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2008, 09:36:37 am »

Perhaps even uncover the Heart of Lorkhan. Whatever.

Morrowind; the only other game universe with cannibal tree-huggers!
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2008, 11:50:05 am »

Whoa! Nice....a rapid barrage of good ideas. I;ll be off work in an hour or so and update the list.

The trapped spirits of fire can answer one of my dilemmas....how to make bauxite a little more dangerous to mine.

Love the "Lost Champion" - It could be done sloppy really fast, but a good implementation would involve a few legends. He/She should also be decked out in exceptional+ gear (maybe an artifact weapon to boot). On that one though, maybe there is a chance every spring that the champion moves on to new adventures. Once history/legends unfold during play, it could makes some really badass legends.

In 102 Urist McFrozenpants slew a nasty dragon.
In 107 Urist killed 173 goblins, and destroyed their tower.
In 109 Urist disappeared without a trace.
In 476 Urist was released in Moaning Halls of Stupid Nobles
In 477 Urist was made Captain of the Guard in moaning Halls
in 481 Urist left Moaning Halls
in 482 Urist killed 124143 goblins.
etc
etc

utoh boss coming

Sprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »

Perhaps in the ancient ruins we discover, there could be engravings depicting the useage of new technology... for example, after discovering these engravings and having a philosopher go and 'study' them, you could learn how to build magical walls that radiate energy, harming anything nearby. Or something.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2008, 06:03:12 pm »

List updated. In true wiki style I have started to merge entries that are related to conserve space.

I noticed a large DF hole in the list : the chasm. (ha I love puns)

Any nifty ideas for the chasm-type features? I'd love to give it its own category

Edit: Noticed this new thread and invited the discussion over here. Someone mentioned un-mine-able crystal formations a few pages back. Maybe we could work out a really good entry from these.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 06:17:24 pm by Othob Rithol »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 46