Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: MUD Discussion  (Read 5967 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: MUD Discussion
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 05:14:23 pm »

I remember the time I left the city and kept walking through a sandstorm.  I walked right into the dust ocean.
Shoes...

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 05:23:38 pm »

I remember wandering outside the city walls right before the gates closed, and then I starved to death.

I just couldn't win.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 07:25:22 pm »

Well, my character was still alive, and I was able to use him. Shortly. He got lost in the Canyons of Waste a died of thirst. The name was too tempting. If anyone finds a bunch of items and some coins neatly arranged by a rotting skeleton in the middle of a deadly canyon, you win!

bobsedgws

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 02:54:00 am »

Personally, I'm surprised no one has put up this link:

http://www.topmudsites.com/

Quite self-explainatory, but yeah, one of my favourite muds was SOI, or Shadows of Islidur, based on Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. It's very RP intensive, and most of the PC's are very down to earth, so to speak, heck I once had a city-worker (basicly a street cleaning person), and there were at least 2 others PC's I knew who did the same. You can read more about it if you feel so inclined at

http://www.middle-earth.us/

However, you won't see me around cos my flatmate is an admin for it, and quite paranoid about him getting into trouble for IP sharing or something crazy like that.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 10:51:53 am »

Okay, the following is a MUCK, not a MUD.  The difference is that the code is extremely minimal- there are no mobs, few objects, no levels or 'classes' per se, and it's pretty much pure roleplay.  The point is to take in interesting character and tell a story with those of others, so if you only go on MUDs to have some fun levelling and finding treasure so you can buy more spells and so forth, it's not for you.

So why might you be interested?  Well, first, you can play any character you want.  Seriously.  Anything.  Have an old [D&D/Call of Cthulhu/Paranoia/GURPS/etc ad nauseam] character you want to dust off?  Go ahead.  Have an idea for a character from your favourite comic book, TV series, movie, novel or whatever's universe?  No problem.  Just have a really cool idea for a zombie pirate/robot ninja/alien-cyborg-leopard-squid-centaur barkeep?  Fine.  Anything short of god-like power levels is allowed.  Over time, I've seen characters as diverse as human scholars and hive-minded swarms of sentient carnivorous moths.  I still don't know what the hell some of them are.

Second, the system is extremely fair and well-balanced- no character type is 'better' than any other.  Every character has a stats sheet but these are pretty much used only when something cannot be resolved by player consent.  In case that fails, there is a friendly, fair and sensible roleplay staff to adjudicate.  The degree of success or failure of magical feats is rolled by the MUCK and a few other actions- mainly navigation- are handled by the system, but everything else is roleplay.  What you can actually do is limited only by imagination, roleplaying, and how much you're willing to risk.

Third, the world is, as you'd expect, pretty diverse.  Players are welcome to contribute, and anyone who is seriously interested in getting involved in an aspect of the setting can do so.

Finally, the atmosphere is pretty casual and friendly, with people generally being happy to help and none of the "Didn't you read the tutorial?" attitude, as well as not too much text-wading being required to get started.  Trolls are generally weeded out quickly- the official player policy is simply "Don't be an asshole", and it's enforced.

The link:
www.twisted-kingdoms.net
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

CatRambo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Cat's Website
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 01:18:19 pm »

Heya folks.  One of the other Armageddon staff members pointed me at this thread since we've had a couple of new players recently as a result of it.  I don't want to spam or seem advertisey, but I did want to provide to some resources that might be useful to people wanting to try out the game. One of our biggest weaknesses is the learning curve associated with the game and the notion of roleplay for new players and we're always trying to make it easier for new players to get hooked.

One of these is our list of Helpers, longtime players who have volunteered to help out new players, who can be reached by e-mail or IM.  http://www.armageddon.org/intro/helpers.php

Another are the discussion boards, which are reasonably lively: http://www.zalanthas.org and include an Ask the Staff forum.

And finally, there's a lot of useful stuff here: http://www.armageddon.org/intro/

I've been involved with the game for about a decade and a half (I'm Sanvean on there) and I think it offers an experience that rivals any pay to play text game around there, but I'm really biased. :)  Anyhow, it's a volunteer effort, a labor of love, and we are ALWAYS happy to see new people joining the ongoing story.

best,
Cat
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 01:28:20 pm by CatRambo »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 09:40:54 pm »

I totally linked this when signing up.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 09:23:03 am »

Oh god, Sanvean made it to DF.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 03:29:05 am »

Only ever played one MUD, I think it was called Medevia or something similar, all I remember is that you could summon dragons to fly you somewhere or just tell them to fly you in a specific direction like north or south, I summoned one and flew north then realised I didnt know how to make it land or change direction. after about 10 minutes of franticly trying various commands I flew over an ocean, an hour later I just closed the window as the ocean hadn't ended and I couldn't land to log out. Other attempts at exploring by foot or on horseback all ended with me getting maybe half a mile from the city encountering an enemy and getting my ass handed to me.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 03:32:32 am »

Medievia was pretty fun, too bad it's gotten itself into a lot of trouble over the years.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 10:38:46 am »

Started playing armageddon, so far my most awesome act has been picking up a jugand filling it with water.How brilliant am I??? Also how did you lot make money? Other than failing to break into crime I mean.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 11:01:06 am »

You could go shank someone in the labyrinth, just watch out for the guys who want your cuirbouilli sleeves.
Shoes...

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2008, 12:25:05 pm »

Well, I've actually completed a job for another PC before! I had to gather some obsidian, I actually made quite a bit by my standards. Just try offering work, or asking for it.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 02:11:10 pm »

Noone ever tried Discworld MUD?
It's based on Terry Prattchet's Discworld series of books, though you don't need to have read any of them to enjoy the game.

It has a wonderful parser that totally ruined any other mud for me. You can type commands such as "get balls except yellow balls from second sack", instead of working with id numbers or very specific syntaxes. I also love how there's no need to eat or drink anything at all. Even though there's more than plenty of food and booze around.

The game is quite combat-oriented, though there is a lot of room for crafting, exploring and generally being a pleasant chap. Players can only kill or be killed when they register as playerkiller, so it's safe to wander around, mostly. Assassins have to go PK once they pass the 'Run', though. A final test after which they can complete contracts set on other player's heads.

Levels are based on the skills you gained relevant to your guild, so  it's really just a level-less system. A wizard can live by the sword if he wants to, only casting spells for defense and portalling around. Some guilds have some sort of player-run system, though if you don't want to bother with politics you don't have to at all.

The world is rather large, having a giant overworld based on the official Discworld Mappe, with quite a few large cities on it. There's about 5 or 6 languages you can learn to speak and write, some being exclusive to certain guilds. Travel is often done by asking a wizard or priest for a portal or passage, witches tend to just zoom around on their broomsticks. There's a 'map' command that shows you the immediate surroundings anytime, anywhere. And with some direction skills, you can navigate using inworld maps and even mark your own places on them.

Warriors get lots of commands to track people, make people soil their pants with a warcry, go berserk and chop heads off.
Thieves get to steal the shirt from under your coat and sneak around all over the place. They can legally steal up to a certain amount inside Ankh-Morpork, the biggest city, since their Guild is official and pays taxes to the government. Anything outside the city walls is free for the taking though, barring local laws.
Assassins get to mix poisons (anyone can do that, though accessing the poison labs is rather tricky) and take out contracts on other players. Various sub-guilds have their own methods.
Witches get to be female-only, brew healing teas, fly around on broomsticks, make objects think they have a new name, make illusions and throw swarms of bees and stuff.
Priests get to pick a God to worship and use said God's rituals, imprint said rituals onto objects so other people can use them, and pray.
Wizards get to remember spells such as portalling, throwing firebunnies, changing people into frogs, crafting illusions, enchanting weapons, scribing spells onto scrolls for others to use, and so on...

Most commands and all skills can be learned by anyone, though a few abilities are exclusive to each guild.

Only available race is human, but nothing stops you from just saying you're a dwarf.

If you'd like a tour, just look for 'Rhodan'. I'm a wizard, so I can easily take you to all the pretty places. Ever wanted to know what a dwarf mine in the middle of a human town would be like?

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2008, 03:50:26 pm »

I used to enjoy the free trials of Gemstone too. I've played Medievia on and off for maybe 7 or more years now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3