Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 49

Author Topic: Improved Farming  (Read 140738 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Farming
« Reply #600 on: August 19, 2010, 09:10:18 am »

Toady was talking about NPC villages.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 19, 2010, 11:27:41 am »

Quote from: AngleWyrm
My two cents is start with a 200-dwarf fortress:
1. How much farmland will it take to support it?
2. How many farmers/workers will be required to maintain it?

If you read dev_now and the latest Toady's answers from FotF (linked above), you can see that he's already thought about the space/dwarfpower a fortress would require for farming. 2/3 of population need to be farmers. You can either import food from outside and thus have less farmers, or you can grow your food all by your own in which case you need to dedicate 2/3 of population to farming.

Sounds about right  ::)

Yes, this is one of the things that somewhat troubles me about Toady's recent statements...

It means implies he's thinking in the same terms as the start of this thread - that the problem is that farming takes too little space or too little people, and not that the problem is that farming takes too little player decision time, or that food is simply an unlimited resource where the only function players need to think about is the proper ratio of farmers to non-farmers.

Of course, this is just trying to divine thought processes from the tea leaves of a couple statements.  Toady keeps giving statements that essentially state that he has "nothing planned yet" regarding any of the more serious stuff that I've been talking about... I can only hope he actually reads all this, rather than just glancing at the first few pages and assuming it was all a continuation of the same argument.

You guys know I'm still putting occasional additions to the posts on page 34, right?  I'm not just totally wasting my time talking to myself, right?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hammurabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 19, 2010, 11:40:51 am »

Currently DF farming is very unrealistic.  Tiny plots of land can produce huge amounts of food.  And a lone dwarf can grow a huge amount of food.  Here are some numbers I found on the internet.  Accuracy isn't the important issue here.
--------
At least 1.2 acres per person is required in order to maintain current American dietary standards.
Pre-industrial age, 60-70% of the workforce was dedicated to farming.
--------

Farm size
If a tile is 10ft x 10ft, an acre is approximately 200x200 tiles.    Even if the production per tile was increased 100x, each dwarf would need 400 tiles of farms.  I think the idea of large underground farms, mined out of solid rock is just ludicrous, even for dwarfs.  Are there any fantasy stories that mention giant underground dwarf farms?

Farm Labor
It just doesn't seem dwarfy for over half the fortress to be farmers.  I cannot see any fun in the game when half the workforce is managing the farms.  DF has never been accurate in the amount of work a dwarf could realistically do.  DF isn't a farming simulation.

If farms were made more realistic with labor and farm size, it would make farming much more difficult.  Farming would take much more thought to make it successful.

So where does this lead?  IMO, the conclusion I come to is that farming just needs to be scrapped.  Dwarfs need to import their food.  In literature, dwarfs mine metal and gems, convert it to tradegoods, and trade it for food and other items.   Farming, if included at all, could be on a very limited scale for some dwarf-only plants.  The produce could be used as one of the ingredients in dwarfish alcohol.

PS - I don't expect this to be a popular suggestion.  But it does fit in well with the villages that Toady is currently working on.  Dwarfs would need to import food from these villages.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 11:42:26 am by Hammurabi »
Back in 1971, Nolan Bushnell of Atari said, "All the best games are easy to learn, and difficult to master," a design philosophy now treated as instinctual by nearly every designer in the industry.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 19, 2010, 12:00:01 pm »

You guys know I'm still putting occasional additions to the posts on page 34, right?  I'm not just totally wasting my time talking to myself, right?

There's a post on page 34? :o

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 19, 2010, 12:07:25 pm »

Statistics on farms

Yes, that's largely the subject of the first 20 pages or so of this thread.  People keep coming up with different numbers. 

For 400 tiles per dwarf, a 200-dwarf fortress is 80,000 tiles.  That's about 35 embark tiles worth of surface area, or in a 4x4 embark fortress, basically a little over two whole floors if you emptied the entire floor out to use entirely upon farming.

That's possible, but generally just plain absurd to even consider.

So where does this lead?  IMO, the conclusion I come to is that farming just needs to be scrapped.  Dwarfs need to import their food.  In literature, dwarfs mine metal and gems, convert it to tradegoods, and trade it for food and other items.   Farming, if included at all, could be on a very limited scale for some dwarf-only plants.  The produce could be used as one of the ingredients in dwarfish alcohol.

Of course, you're using this as a reason why the "solution" should be "dont' even farm at all"... which is wonderfully absurd.  Of course! The way to improve the game is to start REMOVING components because the less things there are in the game that occupy the player's time and thought, the better the game becomes. 

After all, military is too much micromanagement, let's just remove all combat from the game.  This isn't a military simulator, you know.

No, this just proves what I was saying before: That the entire approach of "fixing" farming by making it take up more land and more dwarves fundementally misreads the problem that DF is suffering from.  The problem is that resources are a "free stuff button" (or that dwarves are a free stuff button), or rather, that in the presence of essentially unlimited resources, the player has absolutely no concern for their allocation, and absolutely no reason to care about the mechanics of the game.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 19, 2010, 01:05:37 pm »

But land and dwarves are resources.  One reason I really want to see larger farms is that it's simply too easy to fit en entire fortress into an extremely small space.

regarding page 34--don't think I've seen it and don't think anyone else has.  Have you considered starting a new thread with a well organized and maintained OP?

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 19, 2010, 01:14:02 pm »

Kotaku, I find it funny how you are a strong proponent of very detailed realism when talking about soils, nutritions, etc., but when someone demands using more "real" proportions of land and dwarfpower, you suddenly don't need realism at all.  :P
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 19, 2010, 01:24:41 pm »

Kotaku, I find it funny how you are a strong proponent of very detailed realism when talking about soils, nutritions, etc., but when someone demands using more "real" proportions of land and dwarfpower, you suddenly don't need realism at all.  :P

Realistic until it imposes on fun.

Having to dedicate two or more entire z-levels of a 4x4 embark is too much.  It imposes on the player's ability to have fun, as the entire surface of their fort will be farms with no room for anything else.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 19, 2010, 01:26:11 pm »

But land and dwarves are resources.  One reason I really want to see larger farms is that it's simply too easy to fit en entire fortress into an extremely small space.

But even dwarves are essentially valueless.  With how easy it is to replace any losses, people often just execute their dwarves for their own amusement.  Just go search for "Naming Bridge" in the Dwarf Mode Discussion Forum.

The only value in a dwarf comes from when one dwarf is more efficient at working than another, and that is because you can then have less dwarves (kill the excess) so that you can preserve the only number players really do care about: FPS.

We need to change the nature of the game by making resources actually worthwhile to the character, something they are glad to have, and something they are more cautious about wasting.  (Or as someone else said, you always need more of [X] whatever [X] is, so you have to be cautious of how you spend it.)  Even far simpler games than DF, like your typical RTS game, you have to be cautious about the expenditure of your resources because they aren't infinite, even if they are renewable.

Now with that said, don't worry, you'll probably have larger farms.  Just because larger farms or more farmers alone isn't a solution doesn't mean that larger farms can't be part of the solution.  And much of the choice in what crops you plant will probably be based upon the relative amount of land you need to till to feed your population.  (That Agave is a very slow grower with little need for maintainance, so you can feed your population with few workers and little need for fertilizer... but it takes massive tracts of land to plant enough of those to actually keep a fortress running, and probably too much to really be viable all by itself.)

regarding page 34--don't think I've seen it and don't think anyone else has.  Have you considered starting a new thread with a well organized and maintained OP?

That kind of defeats the point, though, doesn't it?  We're supposed to be putting the whole discussion on one thread.  When we start splitting this up into different threads, then people only read the main thread, and ignore the linked threads.  Believe me, this is more of the "Suggestions Rubbish Bin" than the "Suggestions Forum" for the vast bulk of suggestions.

I'm a proponent for realism when it can fit, makes for a good mechanic, and there is no serious downside to using realism. When realism is simply impossible to maintain, however, I recognize this, and admit that realism simply isn't possible.

I proposed Volume and Mass based upon making a hard defined tile size and types of stacks.  When someone mentioned time, however, I said that there's simply no way we could play the game in a scaled real-time.  (One frame would take approximately 1/4 of a second.  That would mean that even at 100 FPS, you are only experiencing gametime at 25 times, or it would take 322.56 hours of gametime (assuming continuous 100 FPS) per year... Or two weeks of continuous running.

More to the point, however, is that you are trying to cubby-hole me into being a proponent of "Realism for realism's own sake".  I argue for a better, more complex game.  If realism is achievable with that, it's all the better, because realism adds to verisimilartude, and that is one of Toady's major goals.  Still, I'm fully capable of recognizing when realism is not an advisable goal, and it is only a secondary objective.  The primary objective is changing the nature of how the player sees and interacts with the game, so as to make the game a more challenging, and hence, rewarding experience. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hammurabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 19, 2010, 01:40:14 pm »

Having to dedicate two or more entire z-levels of a 4x4 embark is too much.  It imposes on the player's ability to have fun, as the entire surface of their fort will be farms with no room for anything else.

The normal solution would be to import your food, like every fortress in history and fantasy fiction does.  You could build your own farms to fully support your fortress, but it would be a huge megaproject, which you'd do only if you wanted the challenge. 

Keeping the small pots and sole farmers we have now, but adding complexity with pH, rotations, etc is not fun, IMO. 

Back in 1971, Nolan Bushnell of Atari said, "All the best games are easy to learn, and difficult to master," a design philosophy now treated as instinctual by nearly every designer in the industry.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 19, 2010, 01:47:24 pm »

The normal solution would be to import your food, like every fortress in history and fantasy fiction does.  You could build your own farms to fully support your fortress, but it would be a huge megaproject, which you'd do only if you wanted the challenge. 

Keeping the small pots and sole farmers we have now, but adding complexity with pH, rotations, etc is not fun, IMO.

Sure it is, it has everything you've ever argued for in terms of "Interesting Choices", (provided you aren't arbitrarily moving your goalposts at the moment just to keep arguing), it's just that you don't realize it yet.  You'll love it as soon as you have it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hammurabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 19, 2010, 02:01:26 pm »

Sure it is, it has everything you've ever argued for in terms of "Interesting Choices", (provided you aren't arbitrarily moving your goalposts at the moment just to keep arguing), it's just that you don't realize it yet.  You'll love it as soon as you have it.

Kohaku, you've constantly shown that you don't understand what I mean by an interesting choice.  I'm not even trying with you any more on it.

Here's how I see a section of your proposal as it would be in the game.  Is this how you see it implemented?  Please correct my misconceptions.

I want to grow Plump Helmets
    • I check the pH level of the field, find it at 5.4
    • Wiki says Plump Helmets grow best at a pH level of 3.7, so I need to reduce pH by 1.7
    • Wiki says one sack of lime per 5 tiles will reduce pH level by 1.0
    • I have 40 tiles, so I need 13 sacks of lime
    • I issue some command to the game to spread 13 sacks of lime on my fields.
    [/list]

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
    • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #612 on: August 19, 2010, 02:05:26 pm »

Man, I think this issue was covered earlier in this thread at length.  Funny to see the exact same thing crop up again.

I think I should preface my statement by saying that I am a person who doesn't care about being able to do every single thing possible in one fort.

Personally, I think having realistic area requirements is not absurd in the slightest and wouldn't get in the way of fun.  It would just change the gameplay.  If you don't want to actively control farming, delegate the task out to surrounding lands, import your food, field armies to combat pillagers, and set up security.  If you want to actively farm, manage settlements dedicated to the task and be prepared to play Dwarf Farm instead of Dwarf Fort, which could be fun as well. 

Farming is the economic activity off of which all civilization is based off of, and land requirements are a big reason for why many conflicts occurred in the past, as well as how history unraveled in the way it did.  If we want a game that reasonably models the rise and fall of civilizations as well as management of a settlement, then farming should be modeled as realistically as possible.   

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #613 on: August 19, 2010, 02:28:37 pm »

Here's how I see a section of your proposal as it would be in the game.  Is this how you see it implemented?  Please correct my misconceptions.

I want to grow Plump Helmets
    • Wiki says Plump Helmets grow best at a pH level of 3.7, so I need to reduce pH by 1.7
    • Wiki says one sack of lime per 5 tiles will reduce pH level by 1.0
    • I have 40 tiles, so I need 13 sacks of lime
    • I issue some command to the game to spread 13 sacks of lime on my fields.

Oh my god, no.

At worst I see a control doodad that allows you to set the desired pH level and that dwarves will add lime (or whatever else) to the farm in order to raise/lower the pH level.
    You would still need to have that fertilizer-object in sufficient quantity for them to do anything, but you as a player would not have to say "use 13 bags of lime on this farm."

Also, the idea is for plump helmets to grow almost frakk anywhere, regardless of soil nutrients.  Sure, they'll need some.  But any non-depleted soil* will grow the most basic crops.

*Depleted soil only occurring from use as farmland.  It should be almost non-existent naturally.

Hammurabi

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #614 on: August 19, 2010, 02:52:16 pm »

Oh my god, no.

At worst I see a control doodad that allows you to set the desired pH level and that dwarves will add lime (or whatever else) to the farm in order to raise/lower the pH level.

Would this be more accurate:
    I want to grow Cave Wheat
    • Wiki says Cave Wheat grows best at a pH level of 3.7
    • (q)uery the farm, send desired pH level to 3.7
    • DF will assign jobs to spread the correct amount of lime on the field

Why not have the farmers *know* that Cave Wheat is best at 3.7 pH, and spread the lime automatically when planting it?  Or do you suggest that looking up the crop in the wiki and adjusting a setting is the type of complexity (or Interesting Choice) that farming needs?
    « Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 02:59:41 pm by Hammurabi »
    Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 49