Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Some Old Time Rock'n'Roll...  (Read 6236 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Some Old Time Rock'n'Roll...
« on: July 28, 2008, 10:26:15 pm »

I've noticed something recently, whenever the subject of musical preferences come up (not just here, by the way).  It seems the majority of people seem drawn towards some variant of metal.  Heavy metal, speed metal, thrash metal, some death metal, Viking metal, and all those other ores and deposits. 

Now, I know it's thematic (what with the dwarves and all), but what about the rock?

Metal's all well and fine, it's just...  Well, it's just not my preferred listening choice, and thus universally inferior.

I'm wondering if I'm the only guy around nowadays who still listens to the old stuff, like Aerosmith, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Pink Floyd, and various other artists. Hell,  even finding someone who's heard of Foghat would make me feel a little less isolated in my tastes.

So, "is there anybody out there"?  Or am I just a relic of a forgotten age?  If it's that last bit, I'll happily crawl back into my cave and listen to Deep Purple while chewing on some indistinct gristle and making sounds that seem like a cross between a hog and a chihuahua.  But if there's someone else who likes songs that still have a beat, but aren't quite so, well, aggressive, I'd like to know.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Some Old Time Rock'n'Roll...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 10:33:06 pm »

I'm wondering if I'm the only guy around nowadays who still listens to the old stuff, like Aerosmith, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Pink Floyd, and various other artists. Hell,  even finding someone who's heard of Foghat would make me feel a little less isolated in my tastes.

You are not alone!  Foghat, the Who, Grand Funk Railroad, the Eagles - all are in my playlist!  I could ramble on for hours about great music that isn't metal or less than twenty years old, but I have to go to work.  I'm sure this conversation will have moved by the time I get back, but I'll throw in the link to my rant from that music catagory thread back when.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 11:09:07 pm »

Sorry, but whenever I think of the word "rock" I hear that Rockstar song by Nickleback.  Since I never know when I'll hear the word "rock", I always keep cottonballs in my pockets, to stem the bleeding.
Shoes...

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 11:20:52 pm »

AC/DC kicks ass.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:41:33 pm »

I've overflown my deeper mental capacity with techno. :-\

(The good kind mind you)

But yes rock,definally.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 11:59:16 pm »

I've overflown my deeper mental capacity with techno. :-\

The only techno I can stand is Infected Mushroom. I'm not sure why, because many people try to assure me that there's techno that's better.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 12:41:34 am »

I haven't really listened to any "Old Time Rock'n'Roll", but I do prefer rock music to metal. I particularly like The Foo Fighters, Dream Theater, Muse, Pink Floyd, The White Stripes, AC-DC and Gorrilaz.

Other than rock, I listen to mostly techno and a variety of "alternate" genres.

OK I have a wide range of tastes, sue me.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 12:15:23 pm »

Well,techno and D&B,Stuff like pendulum,infected mushroom,Need for speed music(The old stuff),Midnight club titles.Yeah game music and that kind of crap.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 12:19:08 pm »

techno.

good

There was some nightmare writin's in that post, and I was afeared.
Shoes...

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 12:42:36 am »

Of course,metal heads are allergic to techno. :P
No offense but it is rare for a person to like both metal and techno equally.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 12:50:30 am »

I, personally, enjoy only music with acoustic guitars.

AND NOTHING ELSE.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 01:47:16 am »

What about techno-metal? There have to be some people out there who like both if a genre like that even exists.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 02:44:15 am »

What about techno-metal? There have to be some people out there who like both if a genre like that even exists.

Would that be... hardstyle? I was introduced to an electronic style called Happy Hardcore. Similar idea.

I like Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors (Take me to Andalusia, with fields full of grain...), Wolfmother, Incubus... as well as metal bands, electronic bands, classical composers, and everything in between (Trans-Siberian Orchestra springs to mind.)

I don't know how somebody could cling to one genre. I love metal, but if I listen to Ensiferum for three hours, I really don't want to hear more metal for a while.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 02:59:21 am »

(Trans-Siberian Orchestra springs to mind.)
I saw the Trans-Siberian Orchestra live.  I don't know who their effects guy was, but even as small a stage as they were on, that was one of the best shows I ever seen.  Fantastic music, crazy lighting effects, cool story-ish transitions, and this Vocal Off thing.  The only part I feel bad about (but don't regret) is that we were drunk as hell and heckling them.  Mainly by shouting "Igor!" until the lead guitarist couldn't ignore us anymore.

I don't know how somebody could cling to one genre. I love metal, but if I listen to Ensiferum for three hours, I really don't want to hear more metal for a while.
Tell me about it.  In the time I've been sitting here, I've listened to Pennywise, Don Felder, Alice In Chains, and the Rolling Stones.  I have a funny way of listening to music though - I'll get some new songs, listen to them over and over for a few days, then not touch them again for a year or more.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 07:38:23 am »

Hmmm, I'd argue that "industrial" metal (KMFDM, Nine Inch Nails) is basically that but it's a genre with which I have only a passing familiarity.

To the OP, I listen to Led Zepplin and a little Pink Floyd. LZ is my thrid favorite musician/band. The first two are a little obscure (and not rock) and Ive learned not to mention them because it causes people's eyes to glaze over.

I saw the Trans-Siberian Orchestra once as part of a project for a music 101 course. It was in Boston while at the time I was living in Connecticut. There was a blizzard two nights before the concert. On the way there my car skidded off the road and I nearly died. When I got to my friends house I found I had left the tickets at home.

We were able to get replacements at the event. The electric guitar really takes over that show though. It drowned out everything else.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."
Pages: [1] 2