Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349656 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1995 on: March 13, 2009, 06:14:48 pm »

Depends on how far from home you are and whether or not your supply wagons (animals, whatever) got out with you. Yes, you're closer to whatever supplies are showing up next, but it can still be rough without a decent supply line.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: March 13, 2009, 10:24:56 pm »

Retreating elves might still have leftovers.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: March 14, 2009, 12:36:15 am »

Elves will be a significant threat by the time the army arc is done. I hereby propose we eliminate them all before that version is released.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: March 14, 2009, 12:41:13 am »

Well then we have to root out the humans too because you can never be sure if they didnt inbreed with the treehugers .... especallly if the grow beards!
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: March 14, 2009, 06:16:04 am »

it's almost as if you'd have to have a temporary fortress type set up during the army arc.  how can your dwarven army perform without a steady supply of booze?  forage for prickle berries, now cut down those trees for barrells.  dig an underground path to the brook so that we can provide water to the wounded.  build fortifications, we need to hold this position until the reinforcements arrive.  you there, hauler, you're now the new standard bearer, since the old one took an arrow in the ankle.

it feels like mood spirals could defeat an army in addition to destroy a fort.

so excited!
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: March 14, 2009, 10:48:12 am »

I may be wrong but werent many fortresses made by invading armies as supply bases? (I could have just played too much Koei Warriors) That dwarven example seems like it would basically be the same thing.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: March 15, 2009, 10:05:26 pm »

Did Toady forget to update the development log, or am I just not seeing it?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2003 on: March 15, 2009, 10:08:38 pm »

There hasn't been much going on the last few days that wasn't the same as before.  I should have something tonight.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: March 15, 2009, 10:26:24 pm »

Oh, okay.  Just making sure that there wasn't a problem on my end.

Thanks for the speedy reply.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: March 16, 2009, 12:46:15 am »

I was more worried there was something wrong on Toady's end. Like, maybe he got burned down like a Buddhist monk or something.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: March 16, 2009, 06:16:35 pm »

it's almost as if you'd have to have a temporary fortress type set up during the army arc.  how can your dwarven army perform without a steady supply of booze?  forage for prickle berries, now cut down those trees for barrells.  dig an underground path to the brook so that we can provide water to the wounded.  build fortifications, we need to hold this position until the reinforcements arrive.  you there, hauler, you're now the new standard bearer, since the old one took an arrow in the ankle.

it feels like mood spirals could defeat an army in addition to destroy a fort.

so excited!

Mood spirals have happened in real life history. War is hell.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: March 16, 2009, 07:20:17 pm »

I was more worried there was something wrong on Toady's end. Like, maybe he got burned down like a Buddhist monk or something.

Ah yeah, I was thinking about the exact same thing, because of the lack of updates. I think that we are just "pampered" nowadays. I remember that Toady wasn't updating the devlog on a daily basis a while ago.  ;)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: March 17, 2009, 03:54:28 pm »

Interesting stuff!

Quote from: Devlog
As you might want to gather and treat the wounded without the benefit of tables or beds (due to resource constraints or otherwise), I went with an activity zone for the hospital. I've added a few options to activity zone placement to make that a little easier (they can overlap now, you can flow them out like rooms, and delete a single zone regardless of overlaps). This'll also be a good test for using zones for things like dynamic workshops (way) later if things go that direction, as hospital zones will need to manage several buildings. It might also be useful for some military applications for this release.

Groundbreaking.  This is pretty much the beginning of the "realistic rooms" side of all development right there.  Designating a "work area" for some purpose, then stocking it with furniture and equipment to do things.  Reminds me, appropriately, of Theme Hospital.

Also-
Quote from: Devlog
In any case, next up are the specific goings-on at the hospital. Unfortunately for the critters, this means repeated applications of (1) create a hospital zone and staff settings (2) debug-chop a dwarf (3) see how it goes.

Welp, I added some new code to the hospital functions.  Here we go!
EMBARK
DWARFS
CLICK "What's that dot in the sk- OH ARMOK MY LEGS!"
"Come quickly Dr. Urist, his bones need setting!"
"Huh, wuzzat?  Sorry, but these trade goods simply must reach the depot."
"WHY ARE MY BONES STILL BREAKING!  THEY'RE NOT EVEN ATTACHED NOW!"
Must've missed a pointer somewhere...

I recall the creation-myths of Hurac'an, who made the first sentient proto-men to experiment with his godly powers.  A vengeful dress-rehearsal, before he made humans for reals.  You think we're cruel?  Life really sucks in Toady's test forts.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: March 17, 2009, 03:59:03 pm »

Like when everything boiled up into bronze.  (brass?) (copper?)
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 148