Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 349216 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #630 on: November 23, 2008, 06:26:21 pm »

Quote from: Tormy
Quote from: Jetman123
What about evil regions that have rivers of blood?
That would be a bit "too much".  ;)

Quote from: Toady
it might happen when I do the liquid type expansion that's sort of a prereq for having terrifying areas with rivers of blood and all that

Ha! ;)

Ok I shut up.  ;D :-X

----

The question is, will this change anything during worldgen ? It's no use for collossi to be invincible if they die before.
God, it sounds deeply stupid.
Anyway you got it.

Here is Toady's answer to this question:
Edit: Just thought of a question. Are any of these changes going to have an effect on the world gen combat? Perhaps even let megabeasts not suck during world gen?

Eventually, but the Combat Arc is more likely for that.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 06:36:19 pm by Tormy »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 23, 2008, 07:04:16 pm »

Alright this took so long that I kinda got lazy... (I do everything in one go or not at all...). I also didn't have a ruler... >.> or patience

This is in response to something someone mentioned earlier

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 07:09:00 pm by Neonivek »

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 23, 2008, 11:02:04 pm »

What the heck indeed.

Also. . .wow.  If I had a way of giving you real candy, I would do so.  As it is we must make do with imaginary candy.  Have some imaginary candy.

ps - my 'what the heck' (unlike yours) doesn't have to do with it taking two hours to draw, but rather is a response to its general awesomeness.  Just so that doesn't get misconstrued.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 23, 2008, 11:05:35 pm »

Perhaps Toady could include an "Edible" tag for materials that allows the material to be eaten on the spot so when you kill the Pinata monster his Candy blood can be eaten

Also Yay :D

ivegotgoodabs

• Bay Watcher
  • Horo
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 23, 2008, 11:16:23 pm »

there'd better be colloids. I want jelly monsters and foam hair and aerosol monsters

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 23, 2008, 11:24:58 pm »

there'd better be colloids. I want jelly monsters and foam hair and aerosol monsters

Are you trying to assemble a team of hair care products?

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 24, 2008, 12:39:47 am »

If beards get added, you'll need them.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 24, 2008, 02:45:15 am »

Is world generation going to be modified to incorperate the new material and wound system?

For instance, the new scarring system will take the whole "Giant tried to molest a town 200 years ago and got his nose chopped off" thing to many more degrees of precision, while the new material system will totally revise the way fights are going to have to be simulated.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 24, 2008, 10:57:52 am »

I would think it probably would, and I'm looking forward to it.

Also argh, only just fixed my damn DNS issues -_-
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 24, 2008, 04:14:21 pm »

I wonder what this will mean for dwarven food-problems

if any organ will be extracted while butchering, and every organ is cookable, it would finaly be possible to run your dwarves not only on a suitable amount of meat, it would also mean very variable cost, so they never get bored of it.

on the downside:

butcher workshop gets cluttered
food-stockpiles will need even more space than before
miasma plague because not all organs can be cooked in time

not very realistic: entire fortress would be able to survive from just 3-4 kittens a year, as long as every organ provides a complete meal
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 24, 2008, 04:59:12 pm »

not very realistic: entire fortress would be able to survive from just 3-4 kittens a year, as long as every organ provides a complete meal

I do love me some cat brains and liver...
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 24, 2008, 07:01:16 pm »

Idea.

Creature with an outer layer of hard, temperature resistant material.  Middle layer tissue with a low static temperature.  Inner layer of alcoholic liquid with a low boiling point.

Living bombs.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 24, 2008, 10:00:54 pm »

wow, that's a great idea.  I think we should call them cats.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 24, 2008, 10:28:35 pm »

Well there are quite a few issues to solve or complicate food if you can eat entire aspects of a creature

1) Dual Purpose materials: Do you want to EAT the chicken skin or craft with it?
2) Rotting
3) SIZE!: Goodness what is with this cat feeding the whole fortress? Small Livers should mean small meals
-Size should make cooking more important as a method to string together small foods that would barely feed a single dwarf and turn them into large filling dishes. Sausages!
4) Inedible parts: A Polarbear's liver is so Vitamin A drenched that it is downright poisonous
5) Use for Butchery Skill?: Perhaps the level of butchery should determine how much meat you get from an animal
6) Animals eat: Yes this helps too!
7) Cooking is less efficiant: Cooking often seems to multiply your in stock food... Is that how it works in real life?
8) Eating when not hungry: Dwarves should be able to eat even when they are not hungry such as during parties or because they are simply have a love of food.
9) Travel on their stomach: Needing large supplies of food to move dwarves across the map is a great way to go around it
10) Sustain Yar Settlements: New settlements to survive, whome have not had the time to make sufficiant farms, could require sizable food donations.
11) Blight, drought, and other food absorbers: Sometimes you simply cannot find food
12) Disease: Specifically that the food harms those who eat it... Diseases that cause food to deplete goes with the above

Some things I think shouldn't be an issue is however
1) extinction: Except in places with very sensative ecosystems... a small fortress shouldn't manage to extinct the forest... Even then why shouldn't we be able to send hunters outside the boarders of our fortress? I mean Civilisation sites do as it is anyhow. This especially applies to Fishing...
2) No suitable farming anymore: There should be options for dwarves who unfortunately cause their soil to become toxic... Even if that means sending people outside of the available area to find rich soil

These arn't suggestions (except the last two things) just possibilities for ways that food doesn't become overabundant even with the new organs as food.

Actually I was looking over the raws and apperantly there is an option for a tamed animal to be eaten as it is... Though I think it currently only applies to Vermin I think technically in the future it could apply to other animals... Giant Chocolate bunnies is becoming a real possibility.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 25, 2008, 06:48:03 am »

I'm thinking that dwarves probably won't eat most organs uncooked unless they are starving, or insane. Organs could be ground into sausage, fed to carnivore pets like dogs and cats, or converted into strange and wonderful products at the alchemist's workshop.

Maybe civilizations can also have taboos against eating certain organs. (Defined as entity ethics?)
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 148