Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 342827 times)

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1365 on: January 04, 2009, 06:56:33 pm »

Toady also stated that it is very likely that the templates will change untill the release so its a bit of wasted time to make Hypthtical mods now if the Templatecode changes anyway to 50%.
Hypothetical mods are hypothetical.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: January 04, 2009, 09:48:31 pm »

Question for Toady: If I make a creature with steel skin and kill it, then make some high boots out of its leather, will they be just as good as regular steel high boots?

If you make a creature with steel skin, its skin will probably go to the smelter instead of the tanners workshop when you butcher it (assuming you can kill it)

According to Toady(a few days back) steel skin is still a skin, so it goes to tanners then leather workers.  The example he was using was actually jewel skin.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: January 04, 2009, 10:43:35 pm »

I think he also said that if you desired, you could order it to be melted.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: January 05, 2009, 06:54:42 am »

Why would it do that? It would have the properties of steel, but it would still be leather. The game doesn't allocate which materials should be sent to where based on its inherent properties, only by the tags you allocate it by. Thus, if you tagged the steel-skin material in the raws to be skin, it would be tanned in a tanner's workshop.

You didn't say "made of 'steel-skin material'", you said made of steel.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: January 05, 2009, 02:41:15 pm »

Unless you think me and penguinofhonor is the same person.... my answer to your statement is: ???

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: January 05, 2009, 03:21:52 pm »

Unless you think me and penguinofhonor is the same person.... my answer to your statement is: ???

Also I umiman who cannot tell a lie state that Neonivek is the greatest person I ever known.

You are? somehow I guess it was obvious.

Also thanks for the compliment

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: January 05, 2009, 03:44:19 pm »

Latest dev notes highlight: a dwarf with boiling gold blood. I really can't wait to see how THAT turns out!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: January 05, 2009, 04:41:01 pm »

Note to Toady: Though I know you are used to snow, please remember to not use your back too much while shoveling the snow. It can lead to painful conditions if done improperly. And while it might help you understand how to apply long term stress injuries to DF, we don't need you to model them with first hand accuracy. :(
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: January 05, 2009, 04:46:21 pm »

I think Toady putting Repetative Stress Injuries into Dwarf Fortress may be a above and beyond what I think he should be doing.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: January 05, 2009, 05:14:32 pm »

Huh, well, at least now I know where the massive snowstorm that hit Idaho came from.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: January 05, 2009, 05:15:07 pm »

Huh, well, at least now I know where the massive snowstorm that hit Idaho came from.

From my icy black hole of a heart?

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: January 05, 2009, 05:16:28 pm »

Happy Birthday Toady's mom!  :D
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: January 05, 2009, 05:41:32 pm »

I have a question that's been bothering me for a while.

Will chain mail use the same strength value that plate mail does?
i.e. Shear strength for piercing and slashing, impact strength for blunt.

I imagine that the rings that make up a mail sheet would behave differently than a steel plate. Piercing attacks on mail would likely exert tensile strain as it pries the rings open. A slashing attack would likely be converted into an impact. Blunt attacks probably wouldn't damage the mail at all, but it wouldn't absorb much of the attack, either.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: January 05, 2009, 05:45:32 pm »

I have a question that's been bothering me for a while.

Will chain mail use the same strength value that plate mail does?
i.e. Shear strength for piercing and slashing, impact strength for blunt.

I imagine that the rings that make up a mail sheet would behave differently than a steel plate. Piercing attacks on mail would likely exert tensile strain as it pries the rings open. A slashing attack would likely be converted into an impact. Blunt attacks probably wouldn't damage the mail at all, but it wouldn't absorb much of the attack, either.

Well Blunt and Peircing effect on Chainmail is a bit odd in the sense that Chainmail can deal with both of them (Not as effectively as Platemail... but what can?).

A Chainshirt however (which is effectively one layer of chain) does however have those weaknesses you described perfectly.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: January 05, 2009, 05:52:28 pm »

Chainmail isn't rigid, and so isn't good at stopping the sheer force of the blow. It lowers pierce damage somewhat, and converts a slash to a blunt hit if it manages to hold together, but it's hardly good for stopping a heavy axe or hammer hit, as that will easily crush your bones even if the mail itself is not harmed. I don't know about the usual ways of wearing or constructing chainmail, but I usually see it as a sort of a robe made of tiny metal rings.

I suspect the armor itself will govern these things. As will eventually be the case with other items. For example, when hitting someone with a "normal" weapon like a sword, the material's resistance to compression will define whether or not the weapon gets damaged, while a scythe or sickle will use tensile strength for those purposes because the manner of attack is different.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 148