Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 148

Author Topic: The NEW Future of the Fortress  (Read 342831 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1380 on: January 05, 2009, 06:12:21 pm »

Latest dev notes highlight: a dwarf with boiling gold blood. I really can't wait to see how THAT turns out!

That experiment won't end well [I am thinking about the poor dwarf's lifespan to be more specific] I guess... ;D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 06:14:19 pm by Tormy »

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: January 05, 2009, 06:45:04 pm »

Latest dev notes highlight: a dwarf with boiling gold blood. I really can't wait to see how THAT turns out!

That experiment won't end well [I am thinking about the poor dwarf's lifespan to be more specific] I guess... ;D
Any experiment designed to kill a dwarf that successfully kills a dwarf is a successful experiment, that ended well, regardless of any other unfortunate side effects.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: January 05, 2009, 06:46:17 pm »

Perhaps later... what blood (And other organs while we are at it) is made out of will actually impact the creature far more significantly then it currently does.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: January 05, 2009, 07:16:15 pm »

Question for Toady: Will any of these body changes (other then poisons) have any effect on Vermin? Or are they going to stay pretty much unchanged?

Another way of phrasing that is: Will vermin get more specific body definitions with this release, or are they going to stay very simplistic? Right now the difference between a bluejay and a fire snake is pretty minimal.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: January 05, 2009, 08:06:55 pm »

Question for Toady: Will any of these body changes (other then poisons) have any effect on Vermin? Or are they going to stay pretty much unchanged?

Another way of phrasing that is: Will vermin get more specific body definitions with this release, or are they going to stay very simplistic? Right now the difference between a bluejay and a fire snake is pretty minimal.
It's been mentioned that he wants to allow for more complex vermin bodies, but doesn't want to get to the point of having to track wounds for individual vermin (IE, vermin remain simple things without individual parts that can be wounded, but they do get different properties depending on their construction - so an Iron Rat might be immune to the weak attacks from a kitten, for example, but it would still insta-gib from an attack that could hurt it).

Standard "If I understood it correctly" disclaimer.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: January 06, 2009, 01:16:10 am »

Once the molten or gaseous golden blood leaves the bloodstream, will it revert into solid gold? Gold tends to revert to a solid state in room temperature, if I remember my chemistry right.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: January 06, 2009, 02:58:06 am »

Gaseous gold is more likely to become a fine golden powder than solid gold - but yeah, since a "powder" is just a large amount of tiny solid gold specks, you can count it as a solid.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: January 06, 2009, 04:01:13 am »

Gaseous gold is more likely to become a fine golden powder than solid gold - but yeah, since a "powder" is just a large amount of tiny solid gold specks, you can count it as a solid.

Interestingly powders are treated as a special case of solids in the new material raws.  Check out the entry for bone.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: January 06, 2009, 06:22:53 am »

Wow. So the next version will contain a luxury creature that, during certain expensive parties, will be detonated to shower the room with gold?
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: January 06, 2009, 07:34:12 am »

Pinata?

Actually, if the dwarves could be made to vomit gold...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: January 06, 2009, 09:18:12 am »

Wow. So the next version will contain a luxury creature that, during certain expensive parties, will be detonated to shower the room with gold?

Sounds like a way to get a bunch of golden dwarven statues.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: January 06, 2009, 09:26:53 am »

Dammit Toady you silly man! It's ridiculous enough that beings have gold in a constant liquid state that functions as their circulatory system! Now once that liquid gold is violently released, instead of returning to its solid state as nature intended (which you insist is an error that needs to be rectified), it further heats into gas?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU :P
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 09:32:41 am by Patarak »

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: January 06, 2009, 09:47:09 am »

Dammit Toady you silly man! It's ridiculous enough that beings have gold in a constant liquid state that functions as their circulatory system! Now once that liquid gold is violently released, instead of returning to its solid state as nature intended (which you insist is an error that needs to be rectified), it further heats into gas?

One would assume the transfer to a solid state isn't instantaneous.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: January 06, 2009, 09:50:10 am »

I might be misreading you, but the gold blood isn't boiling into gas, it's already a gas -- blood doesn't even have to be a liquid anymore.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: January 06, 2009, 11:27:45 am »

Well In the bloodstream there is an certain preasure from the surrounding Material and the pumping pressure of the heart (That must be really storng and damn huge). If i remeber my Physics classes some years ago correct it is fact that with higher preasure the boilingpoint of an Material is also higher. The normal bodytemp of our dwarf would be then 2856 °C! I think this dwarf was half Magmamen!

Another idea is that the gold in the blood of the dwarf replaces the normal Haemoglobin but does this as molecule with very instable Bonds. Now exposed to an nonbenefital milieu it comes to Explosiv and exothermal reactions.

I know that dont makes much sense but heck we have Magmamen and Spirits of fire!
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 148