Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Great Rescue of Kikrost Stockadewet, mayor of Racksplatter  (Read 970 times)

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile

Wow. This was an epic journey. I just had to share it.

So Kikrost was miner, like all my starting mayors. Somehow or another, he ended up trapped at the base of a waterfall. I'm not entirely sure how...I assume he was drinking from the well above, and fell...though I think that would kill him. It may have been when I channeled out the brook. I don't know. What I do know, though, is that this happened a long time ago, and I only noticed it 15 seconds after I booted up my save.

And I'm not exaggerating. Literally 15 seconds after I booted it up, one of two things would happen. The poor sap would either starve to death...or he'd slip, fall into the water, and drown. I tried everything. I sent my second miner down, but even after disabling all other actions, he couldn't get to him. I tried to get the mayor to mine himself out, but alas, he was "Hunting for Small Vermin", and canceling it seemed to cause him to fall into the water.

He was stuck...doomed to die. I kept Ctrl-Alt-Deleting it closed, rebooting, and trying different methods to rescue him...nothing worked...tried this a good 10 times.

...then I realized I had access, 15 z-levels up, to my fort. I couldn't build staircases fast enough, but if I could get him some food...

I booted up yet again, this time setting a dump zone off of the waterfall, and then put a meat barrel on dump status...and prayed. Down 15 z-levels it fell, onto the ground next to the good mayor, and unforbid it. I was afraid he - or the barrel - would fall in, but he was able to devour a delicious Mule Meat without dying. Ecstatic, I designated some area to be dug, and he began doing it! Water was chasing him, but never rose about level 2/3, and he ended up bursting free on the other side of the mountain, drenched in water, and looking for a stout drink. He got it.

Man.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Rescue of Kikrost Stockadewet, mayor of Racksplatter
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 07:21:38 pm »

I would've built a floor path leading out to where he was, on the fifteen z-levels up thing, then deconstructed the one touching the cliffside, dropping it on him, and dropping the deconstructor off of the cliff.
Shoes...

Boomer

• Bay Watcher
  • EXPLOSIONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 04:30:12 pm »

Epic Rescue! After sending a starving mayor some food, he digs himself free of a watery grave! Film at eleven!
"Damn, I just noticed that this was post Nr 1500, and I had nothing memorable to say...I will go and play with the carp now."

~Akroma

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 10:48:56 pm »

Leaving him wondering why he didn't do this hours earlier when he first landed down below! ;)
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 06:17:22 am »

I booted up yet again, this time setting a dump zone off of the waterfall, and then put a meat barrel on dump status...and prayed. Down 15 z-levels it fell, onto the ground next to the good mayor, and unforbid it. I was afraid he - or the barrel - would fall in, but he was able to devour a delicious Mule Meat without dying. Ecstatic, I designated some area to be dug, and he began doing it! Water was chasing him, but never rose about level 2/3, and he ended up bursting free on the other side of the mountain, drenched in water, and looking for a stout drink. He got it.

Man.

Haha, awesome! :)