Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 101

Author Topic: Zombie preparedness  (Read 133725 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie preparedness
« Reply #825 on: October 25, 2009, 04:20:31 pm »

Well, the best place I feel is a school. You can lock down the place, certain areas have stronger doors and less windows, and upon entering a room, or the boarding house, you can immediately know where the exits are, and the plan for an emergency.

Also, I think that if it actually happens, which is less likely than we think, it would be realistic. That's why people put logic into a zombie apocalypse. However, the common movie steriotype has the zombies being artificially run off their brain stem, which doesn't require as much blood.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Angellus

« Reply #826 on: October 25, 2009, 05:23:20 pm »

I like the idea of water, yachts would be the best choice I think.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: October 25, 2009, 05:53:42 pm »

There are more generators in malls, you cant find a gun in a school and might not on a yatch, and both have less food then malls. But finding an uninhabited island would be awsome.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: October 25, 2009, 06:00:55 pm »

There are more generators in malls, you cant find a gun in a school and might not on a yatch, and both have less food then malls. But finding an uninhabited island would be awsome.

Go to the Caribbean.
Or the British Territories.

Nordic dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: October 25, 2009, 06:52:56 pm »

i have never seen a mall with a gun store.all ive seen is malls with fast food which expires quickly, a few overpriced movie and game stores,and some shitty clothes stores.a school would be preferable to nothing for an invasion,because of said reasons above and the fact the food will last a good month before expiration,and during that time there will be no shortage seeing as how they feed hundreds a day.generators are designed to last for generally 24 hours for hospitals and government buildings, and maybe 10 or so in places like malls.

in real life,you should already have a gun.even if it's a 120$ special .22, just get one,and preferably,go to your nearest shooting range and practice.ammo is expensive these days and some places are experiencing shortages,but a couple of boxes of .22 is still reasonable.
in addition,learning a useful hobby is good too. i myself am taking up blacksmithing, and i find it quite enjoyable.after i learn the basics and feel i am good enough i am going to take up welding and carpentry.all useful in a survival situation as well as in normal life.
This is a witty signature.all craftsmanship is of the highest quality.it menaces with spikes.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: October 25, 2009, 07:13:27 pm »

Generators that run on gasoline, crank generators, and all those types of things, plus the massive amount there will be in malls, would generate a lot more electricity then any place i can think of.

I don't see why a mall wouldn't have a gun shop. But I'm mainly thinking of the dead rising mall. (was that based on a real mall?)

"A" gun won't be very helpful. Have a group of 10 people? only have 50 bullets? GUNSTORE!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: October 27, 2009, 03:06:47 am »

Reading all this has inspired me greatly. Now, my zombie strategy is as follows:

1. Check if I'm not a zombie.
2. If not a zombie, find the homes of people you know actively prepared for the zombie invasion with ridiculous amounts of forethought and survival gear, beat the undead crap out of their likely zombiefied forms (or live forms, in the unlikely chance they are still alive and possibly amazed that there's still someone out there who isn't a dead thing).

Clearly, it is my best possible outcome for least amount of work. I don't value living in a zombie infested world to be too valuable, so even instant death by paranoid gun-owner is still a plus.

Angellus

« Reply #832 on: October 27, 2009, 03:15:17 am »

The zombies will die off, there is no way that they won't.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 27, 2009, 03:26:05 am »

Again, why would you desire to live in a world completely ravaged by genocidal monsters? It might sound simple, but any world that doesn't have functional society, internet, TV, heck, radio, proper water supply, electricity, or most of the other factors that seperates developed nations from the bottom of the ocean... it's not really something I find myself relishing.

So, back to the utility function. In the most simplistic of terms, 2/3 chance I die. 1/3 chance I end up in that situation. Either way, I profit. It's perfect. You guys get satisfaction preparing for an unlikely obsession. And the survivors get to benefit from your actions. Works for you too!

By the way, I still prefer my idea of enjoying myself in a giant orbital cannon / space resort for 1 person but hey, this is probably more feasable for now.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 27, 2009, 03:35:45 am »

Well, I like to think that if I survive a zombie massacre, I could at least create a stable foundation for our society to rise again. You know, so that we can get electricity, electronics, etc, without having to go back through the dark ages. I couldn't, and I know this. But it's a good idea, so that our society doesn't crumble completely. And all humans die. And the world thrives.

Then again, bring on z-day.

But honestly, I doubt the believability of Zolocaust, but it's a good thing to keep in mind anyway. I have no random weapon stash, but it's just a way for me to exercise my logic.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 03:49:00 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: October 27, 2009, 04:09:30 am »

I have two zombie plans.

One is more short term, and requires less effort. I am surrounded by fucking mountains. Get a group of people with guns, grab everything useful that won't slow you down, get a bunch of light weight trucks, and then establish some sort of safe haven in a place you'll be unlikely to encounter the undead. All while staying within range of a zone still rife with places to scavenge once the initial chaos dies down. Sweep the place once things cool down, gather up everything you'll need, and finally attempt to establish contact.

And one more long term, which basically follows half the outline of plan one, but the effort's pretty much doubled by the common sense tactic of countering zombie activity. "Go North". Go north and keep going north until you see no more zombies. In my opinion, I'd rather stay where I am, where by next summer, when the putrid rotting flesh floats into the air as the one hundred and twenty degree weather bleaches the exposed bones on the rotting pus bags wandering lonesome, they will be all the easier to simply tip over with the end of a stick, and watch them fall apart into some sort of goopy mass of...

I should go to sleep.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 27, 2009, 04:12:07 am »

simply tip over with the end of a stick, and watch them fall apart into some sort of goopy mass of...
Zombie?

Also, this is interesting. Have at it.

Angellus

« Reply #837 on: October 27, 2009, 06:31:51 pm »

I have two zombie plans.

One is more short term, and requires less effort. I am surrounded by fucking mountains. Get a group of people with guns, grab everything useful that won't slow you down, get a bunch of light weight trucks, and then establish some sort of safe haven in a place you'll be unlikely to encounter the undead. All while staying within range of a zone still rife with places to scavenge once the initial chaos dies down. Sweep the place once things cool down, gather up everything you'll need, and finally attempt to establish contact.

And one more long term, which basically follows half the outline of plan one, but the effort's pretty much doubled by the common sense tactic of countering zombie activity. "Go North". Go north and keep going north until you see no more zombies. In my opinion, I'd rather stay where I am, where by next summer, when the putrid rotting flesh floats into the air as the one hundred and twenty degree weather bleaches the exposed bones on the rotting pus bags wandering lonesome, they will be all the easier to simply tip over with the end of a stick, and watch them fall apart into some sort of goopy mass of...

I should go to sleep.
This seems to be the most safe thing to do if you cannot get onto the ocean or an island.

Wait! We should all go to australia when it happens! =D

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 27, 2009, 07:20:40 pm »

I have a long term plan designed for rebuilding civilization, or as much as I can. My zombie pack is:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Two different packages. The upper section is within a hiking backpack, framed. The latter is within a duffle bag, with my bow and arrows within a case and their quiver inside said duffle. All in all, they have a combined weight of 47 lbs. I've trained myself a bit so I can handle this weight effectively.

Even if I never have to use it, I plan to give the Kit to one of my kids and have him pass it on. Even if I die in whatever Apocalypse comes, the manuals should help society return more rapidly than how it progressed naturally, and it should help to keep society from descending too rapidly. I considered making my plate mail and chainmail part of the Kit since it would help to protect from a great deal of threats, but it was too heavy.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: October 27, 2009, 07:32:12 pm »

If probably be the first kid in his bunker with a spark gap radio calling more people in.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 101