Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39b]Human swordmaster walks into a river and drowns  (Read 592 times)

Mud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[39b]Human swordmaster walks into a river and drowns
« on: July 15, 2008, 01:42:18 pm »

Not sure how or why this happened. Apparently the swordmaster was leaving the mead hall to eat, and there was a river in the way. For some reason, he just jumped into the river rather than walking to the bridge a few squares away.

Nazush Ebsas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [39b]Human swordmaster walks into a river and drowns
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 01:51:34 pm »

he didn't like the look of the sturgeon, obviously ;)

I started next to a chasm earlier and frogmen were running to the edge of it and diving off onto a cave crocodiles head, was hilarious.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 02:30:07 pm »

That doesn't sound like a bug to me. Land/water creatures get into fights and the ones on land can get pulled/knocked into the water. The sturgeon was evidently hostile and needed bashing. It's too bad the human couldn't get out, though. I guess climbing isn't yet implemented?

The topic here sounds like the opening for a really bad joke (eg. "A human walks into a carp fishery...").

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 02:52:26 pm »

Methinks this is probably related to the way carp and other non-fishable fishies are lethal to dwarves - either they get pulled into the water, or they dodge into it (and there's just no way back out).

Climbing would definitely help, or slopes instead of cliffs in land-water boundaries.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 02:58:59 pm »

Methinks this is probably related to the way carp and other non-fishable fishies are lethal to dwarves - either they get pulled into the water, or they dodge into it (and there's just no way back out).

Or charge at a target in the water, which might be what happened here.