Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Murderspears the Disemboweler - Goblin Evictors for Hire (Cheap)  (Read 2178 times)

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile

While my vote guided fort is (very) slowly going on, I going to run a second fort to fill my time. This one will be a Goblin Fortress Assault game, where I set up a war camp in the mountains above a heavily populated goblin camp. The goal is to wipe out all the green skins, then take apart the fortress and sell the obsidian.

Plan 1 involves a combination of catapults and melee champions. Fool proof.
Alternatively, I was thinking of flooding the fort with water. Another fool proof idea. Let's make that plan A.

-------

You'd think being an unprofessional adventurer would be easy. You'd be wrong. Running around the untamed wilderness alone is hazardous at best, and more often deadly even for the well prepared. No matter how much fun it is, you'll never get over the fact that running around abandoned cities and haunted necropoli in a team if one is basically an adrenaline rushed suicide.
It's better to work in teams. Large teams. Like 200 or so. Well that's my newest plan. But it turns out getting a small city to join you on quest isn't easy.

Despite my add, I've only got seven barely acceptable beards to sign up for my project. None of them now the difference between a hammer and mace, but that's the best I've got. I'll send them forth as scouts. Maybe they can get the ground work done.
I've given these scouts oracle stones, the only magical items I have ever found in my lonely adventures. They'll let me keep an eye on the "scouts" and direct them.
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Murderspears the Disemboweler - Goblin Evictors for Hire (Cheap)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 01:34:04 pm »

Sign meh up as SILVERUS, MAGNIFICENT BASTARD. And a dude. (Feel free to cut the magnificent.)

Or... If this ain't a semi-community fort, I'll just spectate and sorry for the inconvienence.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 01:42:08 pm by Xotes »
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 03:37:53 pm »

*interest*
Even the avatars expire eventually.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 03:59:34 pm »

Burning Beer Barrels! Those incompetent fools allowed their waggon's hitch to break while sneaking past the goblins.
It came to a gentle stop, but unfortunately right behind one of the goblin towers!

Incredibly, despite the noise, none of the green skins awoke from hibernation, so this may not yet be failure. The scouts didn't reach the intended camp site, so I'll have to improvise. The camp shall be set up beneath the enemy's very feet!

Tunnels to bring reinforcements in will have to be dug.

The Lost Unkempt Camp has been established!
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 05:54:45 pm »

Evicting the goblins may be easier than I originally anticipated. On the First of Felsite, all the above ground pools dried up. Instantly. (Note to self: When the prospectors tell you that an area is hot, they mean it.) This explains the indoor pool. It's actually a reservoir. Well, for now.
As my first form of attack, i shall have this reservoir stolen.

I expect this attack to occur during the summer, the hottest time of the year, when the brook has dried up. (It has started to already)

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 08:50:12 pm »

That blasted petrified wood wall is impenetrable from the outside. How have those filthy grots gotten so skilled at masonry? Back to Plan 1!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 08:54:42 pm »

You've tried mining through it and remove construction [z]?

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 09:10:57 pm »

You've tried mining through it and remove construction [z]?

Yep... Even tried "reclaiming" it first. Nothing.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 09:18:12 pm »

Hm... Well, don't give up now! Dig into it from below, and let the pump sort it out!

Hm... This would probably be a pretty high-casualty community game... If it turns into one, sign me up!

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 09:33:43 pm »

Unfortunately, the floor of the reservoir is also petrified wood. I suspect I will get the same results If I try to make a stair case to dig up and remove a floor tile. In any case, I'm digging an access tunnel to the surface first.

The Initial Scouting Party Miners have struck petrified wood! I wonder if it's the building material that made the reservoir impenetrable?

A bit later, during mid-winter, then cut right into Magnetite! Saves me the trouble of sending in iron myself.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 10:12:34 pm by the_taken »

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 11:03:24 am »

Well, time to outfit the troops, it seems...

Idea here. If you use some marksdwarves to keep the top level pinned down, you can build a huge goblinswatter over the top of the tower, pull a lever, and send it crashing through the flimsy constructions!

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 11:30:53 am »

I'm not sure how she did it, but Unid figured out how to pierce into the reservoir. Several months late, but nonetheless completing my first successful attack.

Petrified Wood requires carpentry, not masonry, maybe?

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 01:23:31 pm »

((Hm... Try ordering a wall building with the block it left behind, see what skill it needs. Don't forget to cancel it though... Anyhow, that's pretty nice, maybe you can pump the stuff into the top by deconstructing a higher wall.)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 01:28:53 pm »

It requires masonry.  There is nothing arcane or mysterious about petrified wood, it's just the name of a rare stone type.  It is neither indestructible nor wood.

However, no skill is required to remove it.  Same as with any other construction.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 01:37:10 pm »

Obstinately, yes. I mean, I've come across and built with the stuff before. But it's either Taken didn't wait around long enough for someone to come along and do it, or goblin walls require some kind of unique method. Won't kill to be sure about it.
Pages: [1] 2