Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: got regional prospector working (39+)  (Read 16079 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: got regional prospector working (39+)
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2008, 03:16:59 am »

Thats what I thought, but I tried enabling it in init (the section:

[EMBARK_WARNING_ALWAYS:ALWAYS]

You can change these to ALWAYS and NO.  More restrictive world parameter settings override these.  ALWAYS lets you see the features in the Local view during embark, and NO stops you from looking for features in the site finder (though if you really want to stop the finder, it might be better for you to generate worlds that restrict the use of this feature completely, in which case you don't need to change the settings here).

[SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:FINDER]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:FINDER]

- but I didn't see it on the map; all there was was this (really annoying) finder that took longer to find anything then it took to make the world (and didn't find anything, even though my only search parameter was low temperature and a bit of magma in a have glacial map where I can see volcanos bodering some of the glacial regions, so I know theres some somewhere)

Anyways, I tried asking how to get the (supposedly prospecter-like) aspects of the new version to work on the gameplay questions forum, but the answer I got (thus far) is that there is no such feature.

Anyone know how to get these 'regional prospector' features to work in the new version?

Edit: DOH nevermind...you have to change the FINDER settings to always.

DOH.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 03:18:33 am by lastofthelight »

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2008, 06:53:53 am »

It doesn't find adamantine, though.   :P

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2008, 07:38:49 am »

Sure it does; at least for me. (assuming the fancy L-script thing is the adamantine?)

What I am noticing is that the days of Magma in any form being in glaciers seem to be over, I've just generated 5 (mostly glacial) worlds, and though I see volcanos, none of them generate in a glacier, and no magma is seen within a glacier.

So either Toady removed them, or his utility isn't as useful as the Regional Prospector or...I dunno.

But if I can't get my damn lava glaciers I'm going back to a previous version and never ever upgrading again.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 07:43:58 am by lastofthelight »

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2008, 07:43:24 am »

make a custom level and set the nr of volcanos to 100
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2008, 11:26:34 pm »

I liked how the regional prospector always marked what everything was.  The site finder is cool, and it gives me a site, but I can't look and see just where the lava, just where the pools, just where the ect. is.  Regional Prospector would mark them out with squiggly lines and E symbols for adamantine.

Or... Does the new feature do this and I haven't figured out how to turn it on?  If the latter, please do tell?

EDITING:
Okay, sorry, figired it out from previous post, sorry for taking up space here.  For anyone else having the same question (in case you are as (insert insult) as I am): Under init file, there is a list of functions, just set them to ALWAYS as per the instructions... I love this new functionality!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 11:38:23 pm by Pickerel »

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2008, 02:01:53 am »

Either I am being stupid, or this functionality was removed from the most recent version.  When I looked at the init file, it didn't contain the listed entries.  Did I just generate a garbage world, or am I doing something wrong?

edit: Looking at stuff, I realised that I don't have the most recent version of DF.  I will now see if it works.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 02:13:30 am by Rockphed »
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: got regional prospector working (39b)
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2008, 12:22:29 pm »

Hmmm, try this version: http://www.filedropper.com/regionalprospector39_2

You, good sir, are a hero.  It works!

No it doesnt. Your link is dead, sir. I have been looking for a working solution to find a df 40d version revealer to no avail. I want a lava pit near a river by the ocean and a goblin tower. I hate it when I have to try hacks like these when the game doesnt provide. And not a single working hack during all day of browsing dead links and outdated software. ARGH!

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
Re: got regional prospector working (39b)
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2008, 02:03:52 pm »

I have been looking for a working solution to find a df 40d version revealer to no avail. I want a lava pit near a river by the ocean and a goblin tower. I hate it when I have to try hacks like these when the game doesnt provide. And not a single working hack during all day of browsing dead links and outdated software. ARGH!

The main functionality of RP has been merged into DF.  You turn it on in the init file:
Code: [Select]
[SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:ALWAYS]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:ALWAYS]

As for the future of RP, that's still up in the air.  I tentatively plan to release a version that does the magma highlighting like the .39f version did.  I have a partially working version of that, if you want to beta test it, leave me a personal message on this board with a email address that can accept a small zipfile attachment.

jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2008, 07:48:45 am »

I have been looking for a working solution to find a df 40d version revealer to no avail. I want a lava pit near a river by the ocean and a goblin tower. I hate it when I have to try hacks like these when the game doesnt provide. And not a single working hack during all day of browsing dead links and outdated software. ARGH!

The main functionality of RP has been merged into DF.  You turn it on in the init file:
Code: [Select]
[SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:ALWAYS]

Yes, these work fine, but the world generation and site finding is still, imho, done bass-ackwards. The game could evolve random regions into the chosen "must have" sites such as regions suitable for races to fill the minimum conditions, instead of complaining about the random output not matching the criteria. I mean, there are smart ways to go about this and still end up with good, natural, playable worlds that dont make it a royal pain to find a desired location and setting to start with.

I wouldnt go and set out to a region without challenging environment and rewards to match it.

Also, I think some of the game code could perhaps use some algorithmic optimization. -- Is there any way to contribute to it? Im majoring in math and physic and cellular automata and search algorithms are close to my heart.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2008, 08:42:59 am »

Also, I think some of the game code could perhaps use some algorithmic optimization. -- Is there any way to contribute to it? Im majoring in math and physic and cellular automata and search algorithms are close to my heart.
No there is no way. Open the read me text document and scroll all of the way down to the bottom paragraph and read it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2008, 10:03:56 am »

How do I find the adamantium in the world if the RP is in 40d now? There doesnt seem to be an option... Also underground river or magma locations are not shown on the map. :(

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2008, 10:12:03 am »

How do I find the adamantium in the world if the RP is in 40d now? There doesnt seem to be an option... Also underground river or magma locations are not shown on the map. :(
adamantium: other, only mountain regions
underground river: only mountain regions
magma: limited to volcanic areas
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]