Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Engravings  (Read 2834 times)

tinhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Engravings
« on: July 15, 2008, 02:08:39 am »

I'm not sure if any of you have gotten this far yet, but I just made a few engravings.. And they are described like in adventure mode!

For example:

"Engraved on the floor is a superiorly designed image of Kivish Geardips the dwarf and dwarves by Cerol Regor. Kivish Geardips is surrounded by the dwaves. The artwork relates to the accension of Kivish Geardips to leadership of The Esteemed Cloister in the early spring of 318."

Thanks Toady!

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Engravings
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 03:02:38 am »

Indeed. There's a new option in the init file to en/disable this.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 05:40:30 am »

Hi!

In general, I can only advice you to look thoroughly through the init file when a new version is released as it is a very good source for information on all the nifty new features.

Deathworks

Jades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jades.org
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 07:17:18 am »

Cool! I always thought it a little strange that you couldn't find out what an engraving was about even when the dwarf who made it was still alive.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 02:32:32 am »

Hi!

Since this thread has served its original purpose and has such a nice open title, I will try to hijack it to a new future.

So, how about sharing the interesting engravings you have seen in your fortresses during gameplay in fortress mode?

Currently, in their first year before caravan, my dwarves usually do only the symbol of their dwarvish civilization or their community or infos about the selection of their officials. No dwarvish historic events yet.

However, I noticed two "U" engravings: One showed how a human killed another human several centuries ago and the other showed a similarly historic incident of a cougar killing a human. I am still wondering why they don't engrave anything about their dwarven heroes and instead put up humans.

So, have you noticed anything interesting in your fortress' engravings?

Deathworks

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 06:52:18 am »

Also, i noticed it aint only engravings that tell you to what they relate to, also images on items you find (in fortress mode) can tell you to what they relate to. Wich is awesome and makes legendary mode even more fun (cause you can backtrack all this cool info). I absolutely love it all.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

ERoberts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 07:26:34 am »

quick egraving question: I want to build a Wall out of a stone block and then engrave it, how do I go about it?
It won't let me d->smooth it or d->engrave it, is there another way?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 07:29:26 am »

got a nice rendering of the founding of my little colony in my dininghall, it has travelling dwarves on it. traveling dwarves suddenly became more epic.

Sidenote: do not engrave busy passages such as, for instance, your 3-wide caravan entrance.
Dwarves will come from afar to gawk at them and combined with the annoying dropping of items when blocked causes masive littering...

I'm going to have to add waste disposal shutes to my diningrooms. 8)

edit: you can't engrave constructed walls...
it has been a requested feature to be able to engrave walls built from blocks.
(edit: in 38 that is, haven't tested 39b for this)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 07:31:23 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 03:18:34 pm »

Hi!

Well, in past versions, the solution to engraving walls was engraving the floor they were to be built on beforehand. That caused the engraving to stay in that tile and thus fake an engraved wall.

Deathworks

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 04:09:56 pm »

I think the "Oops, I accidentally deconstructed the wall with the masterwork engraving on it" might have had something to do with the issue.  Maybe sometime in the future we'll get an option to designate constructions as permanent so that they can be treated that way.  It would certainly make those complex towers easier.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 04:47:54 pm »

Hi!

Continuing the hijacking, I just had an interesting experience.

My dwarves are slowly engraving my fortress and thus far, they have been reluctant about historic events (okay, it's the first year of the fortress, so not much has happened there).

The first interesting engraving was about a human (A) killing a sasquatch (A) in 280 (current year 701). The engraver did not have any relation to sasquatches or humans...

A little later, there was another sasquatch engraving. A human (B) tearing off an ear of sasquatch (B) in 381.

After a repetition of the first engraving, I got another sasquatch engraving. Human (B) stabbing the torso of sasquatch (B) in 381.

And now, making this really interesting, I just got the following engraving: Sasquatch (B) killing human (A) in 281.

So, the dwarves have told a nice little story (okay, it is not sure yet how the battle between human (B) and sasquatch (B) ended, though).

Interestingly enough, no other historic events have been engraved except for the foundation of this fortress or ascension of the leader here (^_^;;

Deathworks

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 09:30:38 pm »

This is only a little necromantic of me.  I recently encountered this:

So the crazy little bugger is drawing pictures of himself.  Why he isn't drawing pictures of my other legendary engraver, I don't know.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 10:33:45 pm »

My current fortress has a lot engavings about its mayor, Momuz Moistenedlashed  (who btw. already rules for 6 years and always gets reelected).

They especially target his love for toyboats (which is so big that he often mandates their production :D) and his distate for flies.

Here the best 2 examples:
Engraved on the all is a well-designed image of Momuz Moistenedlashed the dwarf and a toyboat by Rith Etasdomas. Momuz Moistenedlashed is admiring the toyboat.

Engraved on the wall is a finely-designed image of Momuz Moistenedlashed, the darf and flies, by Momuz Idashmeng.  Momuz Moistenedlashed is surrounded by the flies. Momuz Moistenedlashed looks terrified.

Please note that the lower engraving was made by the mayor himself (Idashmeng = Moistenedlashed in dwarvish) obviously he used his engraving skills to display his own fears ;D

Another funny thing was in a fortress in DF 39f.
After a particular bloody fight against an undead Titan, which left 10 Dwarves dead immediately and another 10 dwarves die afterwards from their wounds, berserking other dwarves or just because they became melancholic, my engravers developed a particular morbid taste of displaying battles from the past where darves got killed.

The especially seemed to like a duel in a certain battle from 196, "The sieges of Attacking" as there are at least three diffferent engravings about this duel.
It was the duel between 2 dwarves,  Strodno Profaneooze and Nomal Gateworthy. Each of the engraving describes the destruction of another bodypart of Nomal Gateworthy, namely the crushing of his left upper arm, the crushing of his left lower leg and the ripping off of his head (the last one btw. as an engraving in my catacombs, sounds fitting as I assume that he didnīt survive with his head ripped off ;D ).

The engravers in my current fortress however (aside from aengraving the mayor) seem to like to create engravings in which Elves are killed. There are lots of them, and most of them are about the killings of elves by darves :D
I wonder what the elven diplomat thinks about it (who regularly confers with my duches in her throne room and her private quarters (which also have some of these engravings) ;D )

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 05:33:10 am »

Hi!

So the crazy little bugger is drawing pictures of himself.  Why he isn't drawing pictures of my other legendary engraver, I don't know.

Maybe I am too optimistic, but look at the dwarf's personality profile. Does it by any chance list that he is immodest? That he likes to compare himself favorably with others? That would explain a lot, wouldn't it?

Deathworks

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 07:45:01 am »

Hi!

Well, in past versions, the solution to engraving walls was engraving the floor they were to be built on beforehand. That caused the engraving to stay in that tile and thus fake an engraved wall.

Deathworks

This no longer works, building over an engraving now destroys it. If you build over a masterwork engraving you will get the message: "A foolish builder has destroyed a masterwork of <<Engraver McUrist>>
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: [1] 2