Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tastefully arranged?  (Read 2128 times)

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
Tastefully arranged?
« on: July 10, 2008, 11:21:54 am »

I  noticed this thought while looking at my captain of the guard: "He admired a completely sublime tastefully arranged Statue lately."

I saw this thought for the first time just now, and I thought...why is it tastefully arranged? His only statue is in his office, which is set out like this:

OO+OO  O = Wall
OTcSO  + = Door
OOOOO  T = Table
       c = Chair
       S = Statue

That hardly seems tastefully arranged, but it could have been another statue somewhere around the fortress. So, does anyone know what makes the statue tastefully arranged?

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tastefully arranged?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 12:30:18 pm »

I don't know, does it need an architect to place said statues? (i guess not though)
Maybe it just relates to the quality of the statue in question.
Maybe he's of the opinion its tastefully arranged because the statue is situated in his room? (and has much oportunity to marvel at it), actually i think thats the most plausible answer, whenever a dwarf has much oportunity to look at a nicely made statue or something similar he expresses that with "tastefully arranged".
Or maybe he just appreciates that said statue isn't blocking any prefered walking route (freestanding).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 12:32:16 pm by Doppel »
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 06:57:55 pm »

Or maybe he just appreciates that said statue isn't blocking any prefered walking route (freestanding).

Something like this would be my guess. At least in the 2D version (and presumably in the 3D as well) statues that were up against a wall would block that wall, so it wasn't counted in the room value, for example. The corollary, of course, is that a statue up against a wall can't be viewed from all sides, so it's not well placed ;)

Ok, total shot in the dark there, but it makes sense to me ;D
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 07:26:45 pm »

I think it's generated by the statue's value only, no shamanism here please =).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 10:37:32 pm »

I think it's generated by the statue's value only, no shamanism here please =).

You mean no Feng Shui right  :P.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Ryven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 03:08:43 pm »

It's not the one in his room. Notice it doesn't say "He admired own..."

"Tastefully arranged" statues are in statue gardens.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 05:36:10 pm »

Yeah, maybe Ryven is right. I rarely make statue gardens so I don't remember this thought, this may be the cause.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 07:11:13 pm »

It's not the one in his room. Notice it doesn't say "He admired own..."

"Tastefully arranged" statues are in statue gardens.

Good point, so how is it in his office then? Or statues don't have the "own" prefix, i think i remember having an artifact grate built in one of my nobles room and i don't remember him ever admiring "own" grate. I'm entirely not sure though.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 02:09:30 am »

A tastefully arranged statue is accessible from all sides. If they say "admired a completely sublime, tastefully arranged statue", the first part has to do with the value of the statue itself. A poorly made platinum statue will suffice.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 03:26:39 am »

Hmmm...  I know I've seen the same thought by dwarves in my current fortress (Snakepainted), which doesn't have any statue gardens. 

The majority of statues are lining both sides of the Grand Thoroughfare, alternating with communal coffins.  You know, coffin - statue - coffin - statue - door - statue - coffin - etc, etc.  A couple have combined both functions: they're obsidianised dwarves.  ::)

There may be one or two statues that are accessible from 7 sides but there's definitely none that are viewable from all 8.

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 10:53:40 pm »

Coffin tiles are walkable, so they shouldn't count against viewable sides. That doesn't really help if those statues are up against the walls, however.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside