Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Elves are sick and twisted  (Read 2686 times)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elves are sick and twisted
« on: July 09, 2008, 03:28:41 pm »

Yeah, hauling animals across miles and miles, letting them freeze to death in the process, and then trying to sell me cages with corpses inside? Death is too good for these.

I need to start plotting to imprison them all in some sort of unpleasant environment. What do you think: Suspended over magma, or standing waist deep in water?

Also: What's the best way to capture them?
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elves are sick and twisted
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 03:37:46 pm »

Yeah, hauling animals across miles and miles, letting them freeze to death in the process, and then trying to sell me cages with corpses inside? Death is too good for these.

I need to start plotting to imprison them all in some sort of unpleasant environment. What do you think: Suspended over magma, or standing waist deep in water?

Simply build your trap. Set your Trade Depot inside. Set up a floodgate in place of a door. Lower the gate.. buy their surviving animals, close the gate.

Activate trap. I reccomend the drowning; its slower and more painful.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 03:39:46 pm »

Well obviously the most fitting punishment for them is to trap them in water that will turn into ice.  Not sure on the best method though.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 03:42:28 pm »

Well obviously the most fitting punishment for them is to trap them in water that will turn into ice.  Not sure on the best method though.

Designate it as a pond, and then maybe have stairs leading up to the top of the trade depot, so that dwarves can manually buckethaul water up and throw it in, eventually filling up the entire trade depot; or freezing them.

Whichever comes first.
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 04:18:19 pm »

no, don't fill it entirely. At MOST fill it to 6/7. At 7/7, they can(And probably will) climb up. I'd recommend filling it 3/7-5/7 and waiting until winter though ;)
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 04:40:02 pm »

I remember reading that when you "temple of doom" wise drop a caged creature into magma then said creature is unaffected because said creature isn't actually in the cage, just stored in some different dimension or what have you, yet i also get offered frozen and thus dead caged creatures from the elves. How? Freaking sadists.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 05:15:42 pm »

OK, so if you have an outdoor trade depot, surround it with walls while the elves are setup, make a staircase up and pond designate.  If not, make so on the path out there is a similar setup with a retracting bridge over it to drop the elves into, then designate as above.  A quick way to get them to leave when you have the trap ready is to seize their goods.  Just be careful about not dropping them underground as the water might not freeze then. ;)

Oh, and don't forget to build a new trade depot or a new path to existing depot, you don't want to miss out on the dwarf and human traders.  You may need to keep these elves around a while before they freeze if you get a spring thaw.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 05:26:08 pm »

Wow, those elves are hardcore. Maybe those are Dark Elves? :)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 05:34:02 pm »

Hmm...I'm starting to think that encasing them in ice is the way to go. Obsidian is also tempting, though.

Elves don't do well themselves in the cold, right? Maybe I could just trap them outside in the winter?
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 05:36:55 pm »

That would be twistedly simple to do, actually. Just build a trade depot out in the middle of nowhere with most of a wall around it for a fairly long way, wait for the elves to show up, then complete the wall (from the west).

They're more likely to go mad/melancholy and murder each other first, though.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 07:17:53 pm »

Which in some way would be more twisted then killing them by yourself :)

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 07:51:08 pm »

I remember reading that when you "temple of doom" wise drop a caged creature into magma then said creature is unaffected because said creature isn't actually in the cage, just stored in some different dimension or what have you, yet i also get offered frozen and thus dead caged creatures from the elves. How? Freaking sadists.

I would assume Toady coded in that specific feature.

Frankmanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 08:33:31 pm »

I don't have this problem. It's been three or four years since an Elven caravan survived the surprising yet inevitable Goblin Ambush to actually get to my gates intact. There's something pitiable about watching a majestic, immortal race run willy nilly around the hillsides with a dozen goblins nipping at it.

Naarhak

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Blenders are fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 09:58:04 pm »

Ah, killing off Elves, there is no finer art in all of the Dwarf Fort world!

Personally I prefer the 'no reason' bridge thats lowered and (hopefully) crushes them all. But I recently ventured into making 'mines'. Basically, build supports with stairs leadin up 1 Z-level build 4x4 floors above the supports, hook the supports up to a pressure pad right beside it and wait, hoping to Armok that it wont be set off by something miniscule and unimportant (like a herd of mountain goat)

I hate Elves
Naarhak Caddemas, creator of the infamous new superweapon that is capable of destroying entire Civillisations!
The Pointy Stick!

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 06:50:09 am »

I don't have this problem. It's been three or four years since an Elven caravan survived the surprising yet inevitable Goblin Ambush to actually get to my gates intact. There's something pitiable about watching a majestic, immortal race run willy nilly around the hillsides with a dozen goblins nipping at it.

Goblins are immortal too.

Not majestic, unless you count flammable as a majestic quality.
Pages: [1] 2