Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 3Pannel Soul DF tileset  (Read 7898 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
3Pannel Soul DF tileset
« on: July 06, 2008, 03:11:26 pm »

The author of the 3 Pannel Soul webcomic has created a Dwarf Fortress tileset- heavy on graphics for tiles.

http://www.threepanelsoul.com/view.php?date=2008-06-30

Yay!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: 3Pannel Soul DF tileset
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 05:11:24 pm »

It looks like a carbon copy of Red Jackard's, but with less quality. Except the walls.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 05:24:31 pm »

what are you talking about? I can't see a resemblance to red jackard's at all...
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 05:46:24 pm »

The fact that different objects will share the same tile will make certain parts look rather strange in-game. People really should wait for better tile support before attempting stuff like this.

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 06:03:41 pm »

I'm using this now. It's pretty good other than some crossover wackiness (turtles look like gems, etc).
IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 12:01:11 am »

I could compare the two pictures side by side for you, but I dont really care enough. The other tileset has Red Jackard's dwarves, though.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 07:58:50 am »

Yeah, I missed the dwarves. Don't see a single other similarity though :P Ah well. I hate tilesets, so not sure why I am even posting here. Carry on...
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Boomer

• Bay Watcher
  • EXPLOSIONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 08:57:59 pm »

Red Jackard's was my favorite, as far as looks go. But i didn't want to use it as it oversimplified walls to all the exact same gray rock texture tile and I felt it overused images in place of things like letters and numbers.

This has walls someone actually worked on, and does not replace much of the other elements with images. Honestly, this tileset is what I have wanted this whole time and it is what I shall use.
"Damn, I just noticed that this was post Nr 1500, and I had nothing memorable to say...I will go and play with the carp now."

~Akroma

Markham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.boogatech.com
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 10:53:46 pm »

I found an image of the tile set in action.

Apparently the mined stone tile is replaced with a "chunky floor tile."

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 11:06:31 pm »

It looks quite ugly, but I always say that about graphical tilesets. I guess it's a matter of preference and practice, but I cannot tell what is happening in any heavily-graphical tileset. It's kind of weird since I always pictured Ian as the kind of guy who could get past the ASCII.

I guess that there's always a niche that a tileset always caters to.
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

Ixoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 12:43:14 am »

This isn't supposed to sound condescending, but ASCII is the niche, not graphical representations.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 12:55:56 am »

This isn't supposed to sound condescending, but ASCII is the niche, not graphical representations.

ASCII is a Graphical Representation, though.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 12:59:51 am »

True Torak, but many people don't see it that way, they see a flat letter instead of a flat dwarf and somehow...  a vital connection is lost :S  I've always had the imagination to bring my stuff to life regardless of tilesets.  I find that they have thier benefits and problems, much like ASCII
Demon of Darkness

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 01:34:03 am »

There are definitely some interesting changes here. Some of the tiles only look worse out of game due to his use of the transparency instead of black - that can be an improvement when it comes to inverse tiles. The use of cyan is a great step in toolsetting.

As for walls, I'm torn between his and the ones by Flying Mage.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 01:41:45 am by Red Jackard »
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 02:17:23 am »

I sometimes have trouble telling what the little graphic actually is, which is why I stick with the ASCII representation. My eyes are fairly bad, anyway, and my LCD runs at 1680x1050 -- making 16x16 too small for me to see well. The 1600x800 character sets are all I can comfortably manage to use, and I don't think any of the more graphical-looking sets work well with that resolution. I've gotten pretty comfortable with the ASCII look anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3