Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does magma melt non-construction buildings?  (Read 1073 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Does magma melt non-construction buildings?
« on: July 03, 2008, 10:09:50 pm »

I realize that walls, floors, and the like are completely immune to just about everything you can throw at them (except a random unskilled child that happens to like removing constructions), but what about the "normal" buildings, like workshops and bridges and such?

I was wondering because I suddenly had an idea for an epic trap involving a river of magma and a floor region suspended by a support.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does magma melt non-construction buildings?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 10:38:51 pm »

I wish I knew, because that idea has some possibilities.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game you can play without even unpausing.

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 01:42:31 am »

only certain stones can withstand magma. Bauxite is the most common stone, otherwise your constructions are gonna melt (sometimes with some quite amusing results).

but yeah you can totally have your suspended buildings as long as the supports are of bauxite.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 11:30:15 am »

I thought Bauxite was the only stone which could withstand magma. It's that and a handful of metals right?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 01:46:05 pm »

only certain stones can withstand magma. Bauxite is the most common stone, otherwise your constructions are gonna melt (sometimes with some quite amusing results).

but yeah you can totally have your suspended buildings as long as the supports are of bauxite.

You misunderstand me. When a goblin walks over the floor, I unleash the magma and melt the support, dropping the floor (and the goblin) into the magma. This would be better (although harder to maintain) than simply putting a retracting bridge over the magma, because pressure plates can't be built on bridges.

Also, constructions WILL NOT melt, regardless of material. The point is that supports aren't constructions, and I'm wondering if THOSE will melt or not.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 01:50:17 pm by Untelligent »
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 02:04:46 pm »

aw my misunderstanding of bauxite comes into play. yes constructions are immune, however just attach a mechanism, which however needs to be of bauxite, onto the support. pull the lever and the support should fall along with the rest of the construction if it is indeed independent of anything else over the magma pool.

melting the support is too complicated. just use mechanisms to achieve the same effect. but yeah good luck with putting supports in magma.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 02:21:57 pm »

I had considered just dropping the thing with the plate, but having magma melt the support seemed more awesome. Besides, it's in the Dwarven spirit of vastly overcomplicating things to achieve a simple task.

I still don't think we're on the same page here, but it doesn't really matter that much, as I just realized that if I have no bauxite (which I don't), it would be very difficult to remove the lava from the room under the bridge after I flooded it to melt the support; if the floodgate can't close because of the melted mechanisms inside it, then I can't stop the flow of lava. I COULD get bauxite from the traders, but they're not very happy with me at the moment because I keep dumping the wagons in the volcano.

Maybe I'll start looking for a rediculously over-complicated drowning trap instead. I got a pretty good idea for one, actually. But that raises another question.

Do bridges over holes stop water from falling down/flowing up?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 02:33:58 pm by Untelligent »