Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pipes and fluids  (Read 3659 times)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pipes and fluids
« on: June 28, 2008, 06:24:23 am »

Ok heres my idea on pipes: Pipes could be 2 pixels wide and would be as long as you pick to be made from a 1 tile pipe to a 10 tile pipe, there could also be different widths for more amounts of water but if too wide dwarves can't pass through the tile.

The different types you could get would be: horizontal T junctions, horizontal corners, vertical corners, vertical T junctions, straight horizontal, straight vertical.

You could also add more complex things such as pumps, which would increase the pressure/ speed at which the fluid travel through the pipes, pumps would have differnet settings: weak, medium and strong, these would require different amounts of power, valves, these are like normal pipes but when off don't let fluid through, toilets, which you add a pipe carrying water to the input tile and sewage comes out the output tile, baths , pretty much the same but sewage doesnt come out and is used or cleanng dwarves, fountain same but are for decoration although occasionally a drunk dwarf might jump in,taps , where dwarves may fill buckets, drinking fountains where dwarves may drink, water shooters, these can shoot water and the distants and power depends on the pressure/speed of fluid coming through pipe, these can also be aimed at different angles to get different heights, and finaly fonts where dwarves can be baptised.

Of course magma could only be put through magma safe pipes and pumps ect. Pipes maybe attached attached straight to the output of screw pumps. And low quality pieces could leak, like if there is a pump pumping up 3 Z-levels to the leak it wouldn't spill very much but if it leads to your super high pressure water shooter then you might have a problem, especially in magma transportation / sewage disposal systems as spilling sewage everywhere makes dwarves sad.

The 3 new fluids I am requesting are : sewage , blood , and beer/ale.

This would be so fun I mean imagine using blood to squirt goblins into your pit filled with spikes which drains of inot your blood tank, oh the irony! Or pulling a lever and a nobles bath fills with sewage or even magma! And of course what church of Armok would be complete without fountains of blood and dwarves being baptised in blood, or at a party you pull a lever and beer/ale comes out of the taps, fountains and drinking fountains or you could be evil and make your dwarves drink sewage. And mad dwarves / darves in cults would drink blood.

Also please could you add an option to anything linkable to levers or pressure plates to default to on and dwarve cannabilism as when too many immigrants come they take to much food so my dwarves starve and I want my dwarves to eat other dead dwarves if they are really hungry or if they don't know its dwarf meat.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 06:35:40 am by alfie275 »
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pipes and fluids
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 06:26:17 am »

Explode Goblins using Boiled Ale!

Ubersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 07:20:11 am »

Also please could you add an option to anything linkable to levers or pressure plates to default to on and dwarve cannabilism as when too many immigrants come they take to much food so my dwarves starve and I want my dwarves to eat other dead dwarves if they are really hungry or if they don't know its dwarf meat.

What.

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 07:48:16 am »

you can already "sort of" make make pipes though not in traditional means...

although having booze, blood, and sewage as liquids could work...getting the collection/buildup of said liquids arnt a plausable thing...

Dwarves dump beer into pool of booze...Dwarves drown cause of poor judgement of thirstiness.
Smash me and I shall rise again, but not make stupid threads that get me muted.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 08:13:27 am »

Moin?... Err, I guess no, just another new strange person :).
I don't get the "could you add an option to anything linkable to levers or pressure plates to default to on".

About booze/blood... This would be nice.

Dwarven heaven fortress with fountains of ale!
Dwarven hell fortress with rivers of blood! Blood for the blood god!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 09:11:01 am »

What would you gain from having rivers of blood? I have this horrible image of a dwarf drowning from nicking a dragon's artery. And blood clots before it evaporates, so you couldn't have a blood tank without some deft exploting of the temperature system (which at the moment is rudimentary).
Also, a human has 8 pints of blood (dwarves and kobolds and goblins would probably have less, but who can say) and you'd be doing well to get half that much out of them in the heat of battle. I think the current sully system is not only softer on the processor but also more realistic. The only benefit you'd get is that, if you take down a foe by removing its throat, its pool of blood would spread underneath it. And I can live without that.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 03:56:11 pm »

What would you gain from having rivers of blood?

You'd have a river of blood. What better method for terrorising the enemy could possibly exist?
Arguments about how blood actually works not withstanding.

It'd be nice if the pools of blood that are currently used acted like traffic controls for invaders, encouraging them to take different routes.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 05:27:11 pm »

For a river of blood, just add lots of redroot dye and longland flour to a brook.
Though a blood as a warning sign would be a good way to get them to explore other options than walking en masse into the Ominous Corridor of Spinning Discs.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 06:29:23 pm »

They'd learn to avoid my 53 tiles up upright Iron and Steel spikes.  Pressure plate after that little bit triggers them. >:D  First guy through is fine, but the rest of his squad is generally unconscious, bleeding, paralyzed, and or dead.  Then the guy in front either continues or flees, if he continues, he walks into some normal weapon traps.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 11:34:15 am »

Well you would have to keep the blood moving with the pipes + pumps i mentioned.

Also, large pool of blood + 1 year = black pudding for the masses.

You could 'bleed' animals basicly the dwarve stabs it whilst its in a cage or a pit with spikes linked to lever and not completely kill it, wait till its got more blood, repeat.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 12:25:25 pm by alfie275 »
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 12:09:54 pm »

It would be good if you could make flexible pipes, like hose pipes. One end could be connected to a pump and then the someone could move the other end to different places to pump the water there.

I don't know what they'd be made of though - Rubber is probably unrealistic, though I think it might be possible to treat leather to make it waterproof.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 12:15:38 pm »

Leather would work.  Feels like it was used IRL at some point.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 12:46:37 pm »

You could 'bleed' animals basicly the dwarve stabs it whilst its in a cage or a pit with spikes linked to lever and not completely kill it, wait till its got more blood, repeat.
If religion is ever expanded, I want some kosher-style laws to make this worthwhile.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 01:02:46 pm »

If religion is ever expanded, I want some kosher-style laws to make this worthwhile.

A river of blood is cause unto itself

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 02:41:32 pm »

I would be happy if pipes could just be used for moving liquid.  Right now building a "pipe" for water to flow through requires a 3x3 space.  Having real pipes would reduce that to 1x1.
Pages: [1] 2