Is trap resitance a good idea?

Yes
- 8 (72.7%)
No
- 2 (18.2%)
Maybe (discussion)
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: [Trap Resistant]  (Read 1410 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Trap Resistant]
« on: June 26, 2008, 10:28:23 am »

Testing out the polls here.

Anyway, a simple thought:  Rather than (in addition to) the tag making things trap immune, add a tag that makes creatures trap resistant.  That way, megabeasts could be made that couldn't necessarily be taken down by a row of 10xdagger traps, but the gobbos would still be minced.

Possibly a damage reduction number (so if you make a trap with your artifact adamantine giant axe blade it would still pwn) or a resistance percent or something.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Re: [Trap Resistant]
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:02:33 am »

I believe this to be a decent suggestion.  Seems more realistic, anyhow.

In an ideal world, it would also specify what types of traps it was resistant to.  For example:

A giant wouldn't much be hurt by a mouse trap, and a mouse wouldn't much be hurt by a swinging stone designed to smack giants across the face.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 11:14:53 am »

This is a good idea, and shouldn't be too complicated to implement.  I suggest, instead of having a basic [trAP_RESISTANT] tag, have several tags, one per trap type, the way there is one tag per biome.  It would make the differentiation between creature weaknesses easier, and would be great for those modders who want to make their creatures weak to weapon traps, but not to cage traps, or something of the sort.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 04:19:25 pm »

It doesn't make sense to have traps do less damage than they should against certain creatures. I would prefer that trap resistance simply give the creature a chance of avoiding a trap or pressure plate. Trap resistance could be a numerical value, so that some resistant creatures are less likely to spring a trap than others, and the actual chance could also be modified by the quality of the trap's mechanisms. Eventually there could be a skill that allows adventurers to avoid traps as if they had resistance.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 05:50:04 pm »

I agree with Cosmonot, especially since you can create your own traps in the raws, and it'd be a pain to try to cross-reference raws to indicate which traps a creature has which resistance to.

Jiust give a percentage to TRAP_AVOID to indicate how good the creature is at dodging traps. Later we could also have TRAP_DISARM with a similar percentage, except that the penalty for failing a disarm would probably involve triggering the trap.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 07:26:55 pm »

I agree with Cosmonot, especially since you can create your own traps in the raws, and it'd be a pain to try to cross-reference raws to indicate which traps a creature has which resistance to.

Jiust give a percentage to TRAP_AVOID to indicate how good the creature is at dodging traps. Later we could also have TRAP_DISARM with a similar percentage, except that the penalty for failing a disarm would probably involve triggering the trap.

OK, this makes more sense, granted.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 07:55:59 pm »

I'm siding with Tylui here. Some things should be easier to hit with some traps then others. He elaborated on it enough already, so not much to add to it.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 08:03:55 pm »

I like this; I'd also like the option to have it linked to an attribute, so that (say) gobs of higher Agility would be more likely to avoid traps.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 01:42:32 pm »

I've been thinking about traps recently, and I agree with this idea, but also have a few more related suggestions to do with traps:

1. Traps should not always be 100% reliable; regardless of the type of enemy, a trap should have a chance to fail, depending on the quality of the mechanism and skill of the dwarf used to build it.

2. Weapon traps should need to be connected to some kind of power source to be able to attack repeatedly (for example, a giant axe blade could swing down and kill a goblin but some power would be needed to get it back up to swing again.) Weapon traps without power should have to be reloaded manually like stonefall traps.

3. The chance of a trap being spotted/avoided should depend on the location of the trap. For example, there are lots of ways you could hide a stonefall in a tunnel or constructed building, but how exactly do you conceal it in the middle of a flat desert? (and how do you get the stones to stay up there in the first place.)

I know this is a lot more complicated than the initial suggestion and would require more work, but I think something is needed to rationalise the way traps work.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 02:04:13 pm »

yeah, I'm just trying to think of some way to make the megabeasts not easily handleable by a row of traps.  I was disapointed that the dragon I killed died while chasing a kitten around the entrances to my fort.

smart kitten though...