Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Generic "Post your suggestions that you aren't really sure about" thread.  (Read 2914 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile

Quantum computers :D
Actually, a good suggestion would be instruments that do something and are also awesome.
Artifact adamantine axe guitars, anyone?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 09:22:39 am by Maggarg - Eater of chicke »
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

jspace

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

It does not HAVE to be rewritten. It would probably BENEFIT from a well-done implementation of threaded execution, but that's and advantage, not an essential necessity. Now, I just want to present you with reality for a second. Toady has said he is not the best programmer. That says two things: his code probably isn't structured very well, and (2) he has most likely been learning while coding. Given that the DF code probably is a huge pile of mixed pasta weighing in in the multiples of 100KLoC range, do you still think is is reasonably or even possible to implement what you're asking for? And don't ask for "but just add a thread for new stuff" - you will not gain anything from MT unless it is implemented thoughtfully!
I was agreeing with you. I think you're misinterpreting this line
It really is something that needs to be implemented right away.
I meant when someone sits down to begin designing/writing. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.
Quantum computers :D
Actually, a good suggestion would be instruments that do something and are also awesome.
I would equip my army with nothing but. I had another funny thought: bards. ;D They rock goblins faces off!

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

More random insanities than get naked and die of hunger...
Like Toady, I have no clue about multi-threading, so I'm going to respond to this instead.
A lot of the suggestions would be nice to see implemented, but I have to agree with Surma that most of them aren't really caused by misery. Just have them running in the background of certain dwarves (it would be kind of anachronistic in this setting to have a diagnosis), so an autistic dwarf would have miminal social skill growth but massive experience growth for jobs that include their interest, dementia would degrade the skills of elderly dwarves, manic-depressives would spend half their time not sleeping at all and the other unable to work etc.
Aren't phobias already in, with the "terrible vermin" thought? Or should some dwarves react to flies and goblins in the same way when miserable?

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile

I'm all for bard dwarf militiamen!
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile

I was thinking: what about concrete and adobe/clay?
If you think about it, concrete would be pretty dang useful, you could fill in a pond with no need for magma or cave-ins. concrete probably would be created from: small bits of rock and pulverized rock. both made either at the mason's workshop, or maybe a new, powered building.(Grinder?) It would also require lye in its production, giving lye a newfound use.(Look it up if you don't know)But, the problem would be figuring out how too use it. Would it act like a liquid? Would a dwarf mix it with water then pour it in with a bucket? Would it be a thing designated via build?

Adobe and clay a rather straightforward.
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Band with Rocks In.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile

I already know this has been suggested before (by me in fact!) but I don't mind bumping it again coz I don't hear much talk of it.

Dwarves making wagons, dwarves training horses/mules, dwarves learning to travel and market:

Two dwarven merchants and one horse and one packed wagon have embarked on a journey to sell  goods. They will return to your fortress in four seasons time.

;D

VeryBadThingsDownHere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Add new task: Forge armor suit.

I have a hard time keeping track of who needs what piece of armor and would love if I could just get all the pieces made at the same time.
Why don't you kids finish that barrel before opening a new one!?

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How about some way to adjust the 'bravery' level of civilians, so they still run from actual threats but don't constantly get distracted by non-hostile, non-dangerous wild animals.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile

I wish you could specify mass orders, like:
Steel sword x 10
Iron helm x 10

that sort of thing, instead of having to have great long lists.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to see the ability to build a powered conveyor belt like machinery. Combined with the mass dump option Toady has planned for the next release should seriously cut down on both gameplay hours and Dwarf hours taken up by hauling stone one by one. Just pop it on the conveyor belt and it gets sent to th end of the line. Of course there would still be a need to haul the stone to the belt, but the turn-around time from picking up the stone to dropping it off and repeating the process should shrink drastically.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love the "forge (or carve, or leatherwork) suit of armour option". It'd come in handy.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not to mention the same thing for clothing.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wish you could specify mass orders, like:
Steel sword x 10
Iron helm x 10

that sort of thing, instead of having to have great long lists.

Ever tried using the manager screen?
Pages: 1 [2] 3