Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tower on a lake, also Han Solo traps  (Read 1098 times)

LostEnder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tower on a lake, also Han Solo traps
« on: June 23, 2008, 07:44:12 pm »

So, first post, etc. I'm pretty new to DF, but have a good handle on the mechanics and controls, I think.

I've been trying to build a glass tower on/in a lake, which is damn near impossible insofar as starting locations are concerned.  So I gave that idea up and decided to make a tower, then flood the area, which leads me to my current fortress.  My embark gave me a volcano in the NW end, and a river in the SW, on a totally flat map.  Now, as we all know, the only thing more awesome than a gnarly flood, is a flood of liquid hot magma.

But the position of these features made me wonder about doing both, i.e. flooding the north half with magma and the south with water.  And lo, it was good.  But after starting on this project, I've run into a couple snags.

First, is there a way to get rid of the tiles on the very edge of the map?  I'd hate to have to build a wall all the way to the top of the map to keep the river/volcano from flooding my compound.

Second, will immigrants/invasions start on those edge tiles?

Third, I plan to make the pools by channeling out the areas outside the compound 2 z-levels, then unleashing the fury. Any tips on flood control that would allow me to completely remove the edges of the river and the volcano for both levels?

Finally, the point of all this is that once I get the above sorted out, the pools are going to be separated by a glass walled channel, about 5x50, with floodgates built at intervals to release the fluids.  The idea being that I have a bridge or bridges setup over the channel to drop opposing invasions in, then releasing the flood, (hopefully) encasing their force in car... I mean, obsidian, and at the least killing them horribly.  Fail plan, or awesome?

aelystur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tower on a lake, also Han Solo traps
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 08:14:20 pm »

1) edghe tiles are un-minable, and walls cant be any closer than 6 tiles away from edge of map (im a flooder too, usually just water)

2) yes invaders will start on those edge tiles even if theres no acess to the rest of map from them. or at least in the previous version.

3) not too sure on this point, I rarely work with volcanoes and I prefer to use aquifers instead of rivers. you can do all your digging and leave 1 tile between rest of project and river. when your moat is ready, and you have your planned drainage (if any) set up, dig awqay the last 2 tiles. I know brooks are digable, even though they show being a full zlevel) (my dwarfs can walk accross and brooks wont power my waterwheel, at least in previous version) if this is the case with the river you have , set your diggers to tunnel from the surface.  this will however flood your  moat. if you want a drainable moat, you will want to simply wall off the river without digging into it. which means leaving the 1 tile between your river and moat.    I usually encounter enough disasters with waterworks without risking catastrophe with magma, so I can offer any help with. that

4) sounds lieka  nifty idea. as far as I rememebr walls dont burn in magma, but again, I jsut updated my fversion so that may have changed.  you may want to do a test witha  glass wall in magma to be sure it wont melt.

LostEnder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 09:37:08 pm »

Glass is listed as magma safe on the wiki, and I have used doors of it before.

If the dwarves will walk on the edge tiles, I ought to be able to make them just leave a ring around the crater and then channel it out behind them after the flood starts.  Not something im going to try with my legendary miner though.

Has anyone done enough obsidian creation to know how the merging sides will behave?  I'm trying to see if I need to be able to pump out the channel, or if it will all turn to stone fairly uniformly.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 12:31:35 am »

When water meets lava, they will form obsidian. Typically what this ends up giving you is a wall of obsidian with pools of still-liquid magma and water on either side. To get a consistent obsidian coating, you need to first flood the area with magma, and then pour water over the top.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

LostEnder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 02:48:40 am »

Hmm, that is easily possible, but not quite as awesome as pure encasement of living goblins.  Ah well, fiery death it shall be.  Are flows enough like real liquids that I can assume realistic reactions then?   Like pouring the water on from above will turn the  block under it to stone, and then radiate outwards?

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 07:56:09 am »

When water meets lava, they will form obsidian. Typically what this ends up giving you is a wall of obsidian with pools of still-liquid magma and water on either side. To get a consistent obsidian coating, you need to first flood the area with magma, and then pour water over the top.

so it's an interface reaction like when making nylon?
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF