Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Self-reference  (Read 1130 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Self-reference
« on: June 23, 2008, 10:09:43 am »

My brave engravers have started decorating my walls with images of dwarves engraving. This makes sort of sense, I suppose, but what actually causes it? Does the game track masterpieces like it tracks deaths and artifacts? So every masterpiece engraving has a chance of having it's creation referenced at a later engraving?

Also, what's the best use for an artifact silver anvil? Anvil quality doesn't really affect metalsmithing, right? I was thinking of constructing a forge in a meeting hall and never ever using it.

Also, is there any way to increase tree growth? I'm considering designated low travel cost roads to avoid walking on saplings. You can't farm aboveground trees like you can farm tower caps, right? They never start growing on new areas, no matter how much mud you pile there?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Self-reference
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:17:37 pm »

1. Every masterpiece engraving has a chance of a 'rendition' made of it by another engraver.

2. As far as I know, anvil quality does not improve quality. But it might increase job satisfaction, although I'm not sure about that.

3. I think tree regrowth is based on the number of trees left on the map. So, the more you cut down, the more saplings will spawn. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Setting sapling spots to 'restricted traffic' area's is indeed a smart thing to do.

And no, indeed, you cannot farm aboveground trees with mud.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 01:15:10 pm »

I had this dwarf version of MC Escher.  There were a line of masterpiece engravings in the corner of the throne room.  Each masterpiece was a reference to the previous masterpiece.  The reading went something like "This is an engraving of a dwarf engraving..."  I figure there's the chance that it could have been "of a dwarf engraving or a dwarf engraving" etc.  I wish I still had the world to go back to the fortress in adventure mode and see if they were all referential, or if they were referring to other masterpieces of an image of the dwarf engraving.

In any case, it made me grin to think of a very narcissistic dwarf making some very self referential, obscure references in the corner of the throne room.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 03:36:06 pm »

That anvil is actually quite neat. I boosts my fortress value a fair bit, and the dwarves keep putting pictures of it everywhere. I like to think of it as the new symbol of the settlement. I put it in a forge in a statue garden, maybe it'll boost room value or something.

In other news, some of my military dwarves apparently named their child Murdermine. And the whole family worships the god of sacrifice. I guess they know what they're in for. It's these little bits of apparent synchronicity that make this game awesome. Like the Dungeon Master liking tentacle demons.

Sindayven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 06:11:27 pm »

I had a strange mood weaponsmith craft an artifact black bronze spear with and engraving of a black bronze spear on it.
He had actually engraved a picture of the very spear he was creating, onto the spear itself.
I didn't think that was possible.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 12:09:46 am »

I had a strange mood weaponsmith craft an artifact black bronze spear with and engraving of a black bronze spear on it.
He had actually engraved a picture of the very spear he was creating, onto the spear itself.
I didn't think that was possible.

Yeah, it happens frequently.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 12:11:37 am »

Yeah, these recursive artifacts tend to happen occasionally. The fun part is of course visualising them, as the engraving of the artifact would have an engraving of the artifact on it, which would in turn have an engraving of the artifact on it... paradoxically these would continue forever, but unless dawrves can work on a molecular level they would probably stop at some far more reasonable recursion factor.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 01:02:43 am »

Yeah, these recursive artifacts tend to happen occasionally. The fun part is of course visualising them, as the engraving of the artifact would have an engraving of the artifact on it, which would in turn have an engraving of the artifact on it... paradoxically these would continue forever, but unless dawrves can work on a molecular level they would probably stop at some far more reasonable recursion factor.

I don't think that comes into play until the Nanotechnology Arc.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 03:10:31 am »

I don't think that comes into play until the Nanotechnology Arc.

Now there's a world flood I can get behind.  I imagine Greg Bear will have issues though.

Urist McHunter cancels job: Hunt: interrupted by grey fog.
Urist McHunter has dissolved.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.