Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mayor assassination?  (Read 1682 times)

dUMBELLS

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Misc. Object User (RUSTY)
    • View Profile
Mayor assassination?
« on: June 21, 2008, 02:08:53 pm »

Would assassinating the mayor of your fortress be practical? If he made a very silly mandate that banned the export of one of our most valuable crafts could I seal him in his office using a complex lever system then slowly fill it with water or something? Would a new person be elected mayor afterwards?

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Mayor assassination?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 02:16:27 pm »

Would assassinating the mayor of your fortress be practical? If he made a very silly mandate that banned the export of one of our most valuable crafts could I seal him in his office using a complex lever system then slowly fill it with water or something? Would a new person be elected mayor afterwards?

The answer to the last two questions is 'yes'.

The answer to the first is... well, sort of.

Unlike a plain ol' noble, you have to keep in mind that a mayor is elected for a reason. That reason is that they have a LOT of friends. Therefore killing them off has very tangible risks. Only do it if you're prepared to counter the beginnings of a possible tantrum spiral.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 02:19:39 pm »

Actually, I have many friendless mayors.  And if you have a massive dining room making all your dwarves ecstatic, most of them will just shrug off a death of a friend.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 07:43:04 pm »

Actually, I have many friendless mayors.  And if you have a massive dining room making all your dwarves ecstatic, most of them will just shrug off a death of a friend.

dude that's sad..  One time my ecstatic miner's lover died and he carried her starved corpse across the fort. His status is now "happy".

The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 10:50:32 pm »

"oh I feel so depressed, all my best friends rotted away in the sun, woe is me, etc"

"hey ablel did you see the new magnificently royal dining hall carved and engraved in a gold vein, walled with platinum statues and with aluminium seats and tables?"

"oh what was that I was sad about? oh well I'm feeling GRREEAAT!"
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 11:05:43 pm »

If he made a very silly mandate that banned the export of one of our most valuable crafts

The hassle of doing that probably wouldn't be worth it, just focus on your other crafts for this caravan: mandates usually expire after about a year anyway.
Magma is overrated.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 03:02:34 am »

Half the fun is thinking up creative ways to kill nobles. A way I heard once that I liked is you setup a small room, like 3x3-5x5 and put a spike every other tile, only one spike. Hook all the spikes up to a lever. Toss in the mayor and pull the lever repeatedly, eventually he WILL bleed out. Or, lock him in a room, starve him. Or, break the mandate, have nobody assigned to sheriff position, nobody should get in trouble for it I THINK. Alternatively, just roll with it, export something else.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 04:45:00 am »

The answer to the last two questions is 'yes'.

The answer to the first is... well, sort of.

Unlike a plain ol' noble, you have to keep in mind that a mayor is elected for a reason. That reason is that they have a LOT of friends. Therefore killing them off has very tangible risks. Only do it if you're prepared to counter the beginnings of a possible tantrum spiral.

Fortunately dwarves are remarkably simple creatures, and munching raw mushrooms in a really expensive dining room generally allows them to reason away the death of a beloved friend as being nothing more than "bummer... oh well"

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 05:37:40 am »

My last two starting dwarves went a bit odd, shall we say, as they got older.
I had to put tunnels to their tombs to their house to cheer them up.
A bit morbid, to be honest.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

iskurthi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 01:56:58 pm »

If he made a very silly mandate that banned the export of one of our most valuable crafts

The hassle of doing that probably wouldn't be worth it, just focus on your other crafts for this caravan: mandates usually expire after about a year anyway.

Well, unless he has a mandate barring the export of Rope Reed. That's like a permanent tantrum the moment it shows up.

I had to entomb a mayor with that mandate recently. Fortunately his mother the champion wrestler/hammerdwarf was too busy eating masterwork biscuits in the legendary dining room to care...