Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Best Military Force  (Read 3132 times)

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Best Military Force
« on: June 16, 2008, 08:19:01 pm »

So, whats everyone's best military squads here? Any race, even modded.

Mine would be my one-man squad, he doubles as the fort sheriff. Legendary marksdwarf using dual crossbows, no armor, adamantine crossbow and bolts.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Best Military Force
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 08:33:23 pm »

How is he using two crossbows?  I mean, I know about the number selection in the weapons menu, but I thought crossbows took two hands to use...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 08:34:42 pm »

Actually, they only use one hand.  According to the raws, a squirrel could use a crossbow using only one hand (paw?).  However, that still doesn't mean that he's using two.  He's using one and is keeping the other around for some reason.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 08:37:45 pm »

Oh, well then he's doing that. He's set to use two though.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 08:38:03 pm »

Ten elite wrestlers.

Sure it isn't as useful as weapon-wielding guys, but whats more cool than a personal army of wrestlers?

Seriously, I'm making masks for them. No other armor except shields. Not as useful, but +10 to awesome.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 08:46:28 pm »

I believe they use the second weapon in case the first gets stuck in their unfortunate victim or if their weapon arm gets sliced off.

I've never seen it happen, personally. Maybe it isn't fully implemented yet.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 08:49:14 pm »

3 champions, all legendary wrestlers, swordsdwarves, and shield users, with varying levels of armour skill (between master and legendary) equipped with steel plate, shields and mastercrafted obsidian shortswords. Oh, and the leader has an artifact bone shield :D

They ran head long into two squads of goblin bowmen, both lead by elite bowmen. It looked like something out of 300, twas so cool...
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 08:51:51 pm »

I think it only comes up if the dwarf gets his weapon stuck in an enemy and then loses his grip on it, due to the enemy moving away or doing some other stupid thing like that.  But even then, the dwarf may prefer smacking stuff with his shield rather than pulling out his extra spear/sword/axe.

And even if you've got multiple ranged weapons, you can only use one at a time...  At least that's the way it goes in adventure mode. 

Well of course I've tried it, wouldn't you?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 08:59:38 pm »

My military consists of whatever I still have hanging around since the last siege, plus whatever got drafted to make up for the losses caused by said siege. Usually they're around Skilled-Expert in Wrestling and Shields, and some of the luckier ones are Novice at hammers or axes. I haven't bothered training up weapon use much.

Note that I've removed bows and crossbows from the dwarves and goblins, to avoid dealing with how badly they ruin game balance. Also I only use cage traps, in limited quantities. Combat is much more interesting this way.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a comfort sash, ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 09:06:12 pm »

My military consists of whatever I still have hanging around since the last siege, plus whatever got drafted to make up for the losses caused by said siege. Usually they're around Skilled-Expert in Wrestling and Shields, and some of the luckier ones are Novice at hammers or axes. I haven't bothered training up weapon use much.

Note that I've removed bows and crossbows from the dwarves and goblins, to avoid dealing with how badly they ruin game balance. Also I only use cage traps, in limited quantities. Combat is much more interesting this way.

Seriously? Come on, ranged weapons are the only reason Goblins are even slightly dangerous. You get a decent squad on your hands and they can slaughter armies of melee gobbies.

Ararius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 10:19:30 pm »

I tend to go overboard with my military, because when immigrants come I tend to draft all the dwarves who I don't think can do much else to help.

In my current fortress I have about 30 champions (A few are in the royal/fortress guard >.>), and assorted masters (and below) in their respective arts. All the melee guys are fitted with either steel or iron armor and iron (or obsidian) weapons.

Also, the entrance to my fortress is surrounded by a valley and on the top level of the valley there are rooms where my marksdwarves take up residence (along with ammo stockpiles).

And the entrance is a 3x49 tile hall way with traps that start half way through a pressure plates that release about 20ish wardogs at the entrance.

^-^

The most epic fight I had consisted of a goblin siege being repelled by 3 champions. Body parts were shewn across the entire map, and only 1 goblin escaped.

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 10:30:58 pm »

I made a race called the lorgons which breath fire but use wood everywhere because they live in the swamp.  Collateral damage is very common to say the least.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 10:31:36 pm »

Seriously? Come on, ranged weapons are the only reason Goblins are even slightly dangerous. You get a decent squad on your hands and they can slaughter armies of melee gobbies.
My goblins are made out of metal.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 12:44:13 am »

My goblins are made out of metal.

Rockin' :P
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.