Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Apparently I don't understand fortifications  (Read 2118 times)

Rotinaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Apparently I don't understand fortifications
« on: June 15, 2008, 08:41:53 pm »

Assuming I survive this siege of over 100 goblins, how do I make it so my marksdwarves will shoot through the fortifications?

Also I'm getting below 1 fps, any way to rectify this?

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Apparently I don't understand fortifications
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 08:47:26 pm »

I dunno about the shoot through fortifications thing, but to get more than 1 FPS I strongly recommend killing off the goblins.
<_<

Sorry. I'm sure someone will come along with a better reply eventually.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 08:48:35 pm »

It's bugged, next release it will be fixed I think.  Something about their brains turning off when there are fortifications involved.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Rotinaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 09:03:50 pm »

Well they all died, with the exception of the captain of the guard, who ran away like a real dwarf

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 09:25:59 pm »

I'd also recommend making a channel just to the left of the fortifications,if not raising the fortifications one z level.(or just sinking the path one z level down)

Rotinaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 09:36:11 pm »

Thanks, but most of my marksdwarves are dead, we did get the goblins to retreat but only after losing almost 20 dwarves and two champions. I've undrafted the surviving military dwarves and shut us off from the world.

Rotinaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 09:36:53 pm »

JustinKace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 09:55:44 pm »

While I'm not sure why your marksdwarfs aren't firing through the fortifications, the way you have designed them kinda defeats the purpose. Shooting through a fortification is more difficult the further away from it the shooter is. So dwarfs that are hard up against the fortification can shoot through pretty much fine, but the gobbos who are kept 8 squares from the fortifications by your moat will have trouble shooting through the fortifications as they are further from it.

From the look of your tunnel, the goblins will be closer to the fortifications than your dwarfs are, so the gobs get the benefit of the fortification. Of course, it wont protect them from that nasty ballista... :)
K

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 10:41:38 pm »

Don't use fortifications; use channels.  That would solve your problem.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 12:48:39 am »

While I'm not sure why your marksdwarfs aren't firing through the fortifications, the way you have designed them kinda defeats the purpose. Shooting through a fortification is more difficult the further away from it the shooter is. So dwarfs that are hard up against the fortification can shoot through pretty much fine, but the gobbos who are kept 8 squares from the fortifications by your moat will have trouble shooting through the fortifications as they are further from it.

From the look of your tunnel, the goblins will be closer to the fortifications than your dwarfs are, so the gobs get the benefit of the fortification. Of course, it wont protect them from that nasty ballista... :)
That's pretty much the way I've figured out as well.  The creature that is closest to the fortification gains the most benefit.  Kind of like real life ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 07:54:21 am »

Don't use fortifications; use channels.  That would solve your problem.
Well, almost. If they have ranged weapons too, it would be a fair fight.
And we can't have that.

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 01:37:02 am »

also - for all intents and purposes fortifications are a LOS blocker for the dwarves, maybe jamming the xbow into the slit obscures their view or something.  You need something (ANYTHING, even a chained stray kitten - hey I've just found a new way of getting rid of them... :D ) to spot for the dwarves, just like RL howitzers, most ranges they are launching their shells they can't see where they are shooting, so they have someone spot for them and tell them what square on the map to shoot at ;)
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

Kyace

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 01:20:44 pm »

I'd also recommend making a channel just to the left of the fortifications,if not raising the fortifications one z level.(or just sinking the path one z level down)
I hope RotinaJ doesn't mind me asking in his/her thread, but I'm  building a raised causeway that marksdwarves can use but gobbies can't. I /assume/ raising it higher is an advantage but am unsure and as well as I am unsure as to if fortifications are need or not 3/4 z-levels above the ground. Any suggestions?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 02:49:58 pm »

Fortifications are useful so long as your dwarves are closer to them than the goblins are. By raising your dwarves up off the ground level, you simply create more distance between them and the goblins, thus forcing the goblins further away from your fortifications.

In other words, yes, they're still useful.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 04:07:43 pm »

Yeah. I'm REAL fond of archer towers. I've seen archers 5 levels up survive vollys of arrows from squads of enemy archers, while raining death down on them. And I've seen animals wander up to the unfinished top of a tower and get slaughtered because there aren't any fortifications up there yet.

So, in my experience, always use fortifications that are at least a few z-levels up. A single z level helps, but not a whole lot. Moats help too, since they increase the range the enemies are kept to. But keep in mind that distance itself doesn't matter much if there aren't fortifications involved.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One