Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 265

Author Topic: Nist Akath - The Complete Story  (Read 602863 times)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nist Akath. Brethren of the Tundra
« Reply #2520 on: January 10, 2009, 02:25:58 am »

I am le impressed. And like others before me Nist Akath has brought me forth from obscurity to register and post. I am enjoying it greatly and hope to see many more story posts.

And also like others I would request my own little dwarf in the fortress.

Name: Haika
Profession: Smith(any type will do, want them to work metal/furnace operator/wood burner, something in the metal industy)
gender: preferably male, but Haika is neutral enough to use a female dwarf if that helps.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Moose Fisher

• Bay Watcher
  • [DEBUG ERROR: THIS TEXT DOES NOT EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: January 10, 2009, 06:58:04 pm »

After reading your story, I have decided to register and tell you just how awesome it is!  Thank you for all your efforts!

Also, a dwarf request.

Name: Bara

Profession: Moose Fisher (But in reality, a Speardwarf)

Special: Bara is a Fisherdwarf, specializing in catching moose.  Bara keeps the secret of his profession closely guarded, but usually mumbles something about using the right 'bait'.  Since there is no real use for a Fisherdwarf in Nist Akath, Bara uses his spear to hunt the local skeletal elk populations.

But if you want to use Bara as a Fisherdwarf, by all means go right ahead!
"I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?"
-Elderly Hive Dweller

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: January 10, 2009, 08:05:43 pm »

After reading your story, I have decided to register and tell you just how awesome it is!  Thank you for all your efforts!

Also, a dwarf request.

Special: Bara is a Fisherdwarf, specializing in catching moose.  Bara keeps the secret of his profession closely guarded, but usually mumbles something about using the right 'bait'.  Since there is no real use for a Fisherdwarf in Nist Akath, Bara uses his spear to hunt the local skeletal elk populations.

Actually, there are plenty of fish. I have also had a problem with turtles crawling around the icy tundra until they die of cold.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: January 10, 2009, 09:25:46 pm »

Wow, four post in a row declaring having finished reading this thread, three of them from people who signed up for the forum just for this story.  Nice haul, Captain.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: January 10, 2009, 09:28:00 pm »

Actually, there are plenty of fish. I have also had a problem with turtles crawling around the icy tundra until they die of cold.

Artic turtles :o

Well at least they arn't skeletal
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: January 11, 2009, 03:19:33 am »

Wow, four post in a row declaring having finished reading this thread, three of them from people who signed up for the forum just for this story.  Nice haul, Captain.

Actually. . .  Make that four out of five as I signed up to the forum just for this thread as well after reading it completely.

I was just a bit too shy to say so.

Although in all fairness I did also sign up for one of the Future of the Fortress threads as well.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Moose Fisher

• Bay Watcher
  • [DEBUG ERROR: THIS TEXT DOES NOT EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: January 11, 2009, 12:04:27 pm »

Also, a dwarf request.

Fisherdwarf it is then (with a bit of skill in using a spear for whenever you feel like drafting him/her into the military)!

I'll be waiting for the next chapter in the Nist Akath saga! ;D
"I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?"
-Elderly Hive Dweller

Shikon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: January 11, 2009, 06:53:40 pm »

ok so since i am loving this story like the rest of us and  you are clearly lacking the kobold hero that you sought.
i'm going to egocentric make an absurd request as if i was a noble.  mind you if you do not fulfill my mandate i'd have no hammer to hammer you ..

the other issue i want to address is the clear lack of dogs in your company

therefore i would like to be:
name: Shikon
Race Kobold
Job: trainer of war dogs
request: once on arrival he would first explain why the hell he is here ( count ironblood cleared his old kobold cave from what ever was in side and followed the count ever since. (but you can make up what you want your story =p)) after his explanation he would request to have brought to him at least 4 dogs if you don't have them he would hammer the liaison to send some.

he will use tose dogs to breed them and have a personal army of at least 8 war dogs (preferably 20 training) them ( not adopting) this way you can kill excess dogs need to be but they would still follow me)
you can recruit him in the army  so his dog can fight but make sure he is always able to tame/train animals. he would wear a crossbow if ordered to fight

i'd want him to be a fighter guy for your army with a lot of war dogs  himself not much of a fighter but his dogs tearing trough every thing that gets trown at him.  hoping he becomes a legendary animal trainer ^_^

compromises:
don't want a kobold?
elf/dwarf/human is fine ( that order =p )

dog die of freezing outside.. / dogs make me have 7fps.. / can't be arsed to such a weird request its too much trouble
well damn i didn't know that. Crossbow/spear kobold then if no kobolds human/dwarf/elf ( that order again) ( if human pike over spear pike over spear =O)

Ok so i wanted to make a non standard character for you to abuse as a plot twist, meat shield,  heroic/death dood.
i dunno ^_^

edit: i suck at typing and just learned about pikes =D ( shows how new i am XD)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 08:49:55 pm by Shikon »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: January 12, 2009, 06:19:52 am »

Wow. That's a mighty interesting story you got here. And long, too.

Allow me to congratulate you with this post, on being the second thread on this forum to overtake the original Future of the Fortress in number or posts, this post being the one that brings it equal.

Continue your fine work.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

sir diesalot

• Bay Watcher
  • WAIT IT'S A NINE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: January 12, 2009, 01:42:06 pm »

Seeing as i appear to be one of a few people who arent in this awesome fort I would like to become a member:

Name: Sir Ongu (or Eri for elf, Ospum for goblin or Nil for dwarf)
Race: Human (if possible, if not ill have any race)
Profession: Hammerthing (points for anyone who gets the name thing)/weaponsmith/armourer
NOT THE BEES!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: January 13, 2009, 06:43:53 am »

The captain should change his last name to Birdseye.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: January 13, 2009, 04:29:59 pm »

BLASPHEMY.

Also, why?

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: January 13, 2009, 07:03:23 pm »

BLASPHEMY.

Also, why?

Because birds have sharp eyes that can notice really small objects, even from far away.  This is especially true for Hawks and EAGLES

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #2533 on: January 13, 2009, 07:07:11 pm »

BLASPHEMY.

Also, why?

Because birds have sharp eyes that can notice really small objects, even from far away.  This is especially true for Hawks and EAGLES

But can birds strangle a hydra to death while drunk, naked, and poisoned? I think not.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: January 13, 2009, 07:24:39 pm »

BLASPHEMY.

Also, why?

But can birds strangle a hydra to death while drunk, naked, and poisoned? I think not.
Touche.

Its not that hard to notice something dark green against snow.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 265