Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 265

Author Topic: Nist Akath - The Complete Story  (Read 603415 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Nist Akath. Blood and Bones.
« Reply #3795 on: March 18, 2010, 04:53:44 am »

Events of the 9th of Slate, 1091.
Stepping into the tower was the final step in the plan.
  With her presence, Xotes knew that her master would at last be able to break free. As it always had been, the Hammer Tower was the key. Power flooded down from the tower, striking deep into the far off forgotten parts of the fortress.
  Somewhere deep below stirred her master, choosing a corpse to inhabit for himself. The flesh and bone that would allow him to walk the world once more.
  When the power had dispersed, she stepped down into the fortress. She was half-aware that some hopeful heroes followed her, too slow to keep up. It didn't matter, they would get their chance eventually. She was heading directly for the barracks.
  As she rounded a corner, a bolt zipped past her. She turned and saw BingBing standing there, locking another bolt into place.
  "Unforgivable!" she shouted, slipping into a rage, and unleashing all those years of pent up anger on the hapless crossbowdwarf.

Outside the battle still raged. The creatures of flame had managed to push the dwarves back from the pit, allowing more of their number to emerge unopposed.
  Darktongue had fallen and was rising again, and more of the dwarven soldiers were rushing towards the pit, unaware of the happenings within the fortress itself.

Xotes crushed BingBing slowly, mercilessly, and savouring every gasp of pain.
  She was insane, and totally focused. And so it was that she didn't notice Bricktop until he'd struck her with his axe hard enough to throw her off of BingBing.
  Three more soldiers were behind him, originally intending to head to the battle outside. In their number were Id, Killheart, and the Captain.
  She spun around, dodging Bricktop and ripping off Id's leg. Id blacked out immediately, blood pouring from his severed arteries.
  The pushed on, though, until she erupted with flame, scattering them backwards.

"FALL BACK!" shouted Captain Ironblood as the hallway filled with fire.
  He was furious that he hadn't spotted Xotes as the acolyte all along, and that she had now forced him into retreat was unforgivable.
  Waving others into the internal defense, he sought a new way to reach the battle raging outside.

As he reached the scene, it was clear that the battle was already nearly over. Assisting in the destruction of the final few creatures, he found some of the survivors to interrogate.

"What the hell happened out here?" he asked, shoving his way to the centre.
  "Captain!" saluted Adalore. "I just got the story myself. Seems somebody dug into a pit here, and released a load of monsters."
  "I can see that." he replied. "What about Xotes?"
  Adalore was confused. "What about her?"
  "She's behind this whole thing!"
  Adalore shook his head. "I don't know anything about that. All I know is that we've got an open pit of creatures that will turn you into them if they get you."
  Ironblood blinked. "What did you say?"
  Adalore shrugged sheepishly. "I didn't believe it myself, sir... but if you're killed by them, you're changed by their fire... into one of them. Ghastly."
  Ironblood paused. "Stay here and guard the pit, I need to get back to the fortress... Gods help them in there if this has gotten out of control."
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: March 18, 2010, 05:04:18 am »

Events of the 9th of Slate, 1091.
The Soulsmith sat, brooding, in the tomb of Baron Lorn. It had seemed an appropriate vessel to choose.
  He was not pleased with how things had gone. The burning bonemen had been dispatched with far more power than he had estimated. And despite a valiant effort, his acolyte had been swamped by the Fortress guard.
  Still, all was not lost. He was, after all, sitting in a graveyard full of bodies, old and new. He just had to wait for the dwarves to finish packing away the bodies into the stone boxes, and then begin his plan.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: March 18, 2010, 05:30:31 am »

heheheh....... found a spiritwood update yesterday and one massive nist akath update today.. must be Christmas :D
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: March 18, 2010, 07:02:55 am »

Oh My God!... I mean, Oh My Captain!

The wait was worth of it.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: March 18, 2010, 08:06:26 am »

This is incredible!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: March 18, 2010, 10:00:53 am »

The Passage of Time
The Soulsmith sat, and waited. The dwarves above would grow complacent, and then he would strike. But that did not mean he could not enjoy himself in the interim.
  His hold on Xotes' soul had not diminished with her death. It wasn't a member of the Progeny who had struck her down, and so she still belonged to him. She had proven worthless at the critical moment, but he was a merciful god, and was willing to grant her a second chance. The horrible torture was just a means to an end.

Above, the stress of the battle had weakened fragile minds. Families mourned their dead, and killers mourned the victims they had once called friends, or at least fellow citizens.
  It made minds easy to influence, and break.
  In plain view of everybody, Vugor snapped, striking down Fireheart and the Colonel in a berserk rage before being shot to death by Peekama, a relatively recent arrival at the fortress.
  The bath-house turned bloody when Onol Claspbreeds, legendary hammerdwarf went mad, and crushed the unsuspecting Nagash II in a single bloody strike. She waited there, waiting for justice or her next victim. She wasn't picky.

Not all of his minions had died, either. One remained alive, and crept into the fortress quietly, murdering dwarves left and right when he was discovered.
  He had struck down Katsuun and Rhynac before meeting with Thingymaster in fair battle. Unfortunately, his skill in battle allowed him to distract the creature for long enough to have reinforcements arrive.

The distraction, however, allowed for more victims to be claimed by the bath house butcher, Athel the Guard, and Monom Lerommeng, one of the few remaining children of the last Baron.
  But better than that, he had broken Nok.
  Cracking after the loss of too many children to the monsters, Nok had hurled her baby across the food stockpile, and had gone on a rampage. Mostly people had fled successfully, except for Zon the leatherworker.
She fled through the fortress, chased by Alath and Captain Ironblood, slowly being hacked to pieces as she struggled, her child bleeding out nearby.

Oh, but it grew better. The Fortress guard slowly maddened under his grip, and the next killer was Libash the Guard, murdering one of the daughters of Kodor Ironblood, thus extinguishing another potential line of the Progeny.
  And it had happened within shouting distance of his brother. How could Kodor ever forgive his brother that? The Soulsmith delighted in the ruin of their family.

Wild Goose drowned himself as he opened the gates on the bath-house, emptying the pool in a flood that filled his lungs. Unfortunately no harm was done apart from causing greater confusion to those battling the insane Bath House Butcher upstairs.
  Adalore and Vanon arrived, chasing the Butcher to her hiding hole, where she launched ambush, mangling Adalore's leg and dashing off into the fortress.
  Starhammer locked her crossbow, giving chase down the stairwell. The Butcher had cunningly hidden herself until Starhammer entered range, and had, ironically, smashed her into a mangled corpse with her steel warhammer.

Nosey, Royal Guardsman and surviving husband to Nok, found himself locked in battle with Libash in the storage room. Libash had crushed his body at least. After all the death in the family, Nosey's spirit was already well and truly gone.
  Captain Ironblood gave chase, and Libash fled up the stairs, finding himself in a room with Duncan the Tax Collector and Melica Ironblood, who screamed and ran, clutching her infant.
  Libash was in hot pursuit, a look of delighted madness on his face. Captain Ironblood slowly closed the gap as Libash closed the gap on Melica.
  Stopping unexpectedly, he whirled on the Captain, striking him in the back as he passed, sending him sprawling and winding him. He brought down his hammer again, breaking the Captain's arm, and then the other. It seemed Ironblood had no chance! There was no help in sight, no help that could possibly reach him. There was nothing he could do!

A blow across the face knocked the Captain unconscious. This was it! This HATED dwarf was about to die.
  The Soulsmith broke into a chuckle, and then into laughter. The Fortress would crumble without this dwarf! There would be no stopping him, then!
  And the best part was, even though the Captain would awaken again, there were no choices he could take that would...
  He stopped. When had Ironblood slept last?! WHEN!?
  "NO!!!!!!" he roared, as the fatal blow was struck. When had Ironblood last slept?!

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: March 18, 2010, 10:48:00 am »

Ahahaha, oh shit. That's mean.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm thrilled to read how it all comes to an epic end.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: March 18, 2010, 01:31:57 pm »

Wow, Epic!

Can't wait to see how it all plays out in the end.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: March 18, 2010, 05:02:01 pm »

Holy shit. My fingers apparently hold unimaginable power.

Mayday, never stop kicking ass.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: March 18, 2010, 08:50:42 pm »

Crushed by a hammerdwarf? Laaame

For once, Nagash II could not conveniently happen to not be where the trouble was.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: March 19, 2010, 09:27:40 am »

Crushed by a hammerdwarf? Laaame

For once, Nagash II could not conveniently happen to not be where the trouble was.
A Nist Akathian Hammerdwarf, though. that makes it at least a bit better, i guess.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: March 19, 2010, 12:25:59 pm »

Note, the rest of the progeny woke up that morning, one of them getting the mark of Armok whenever the party wiped.   Since the captain has not done this yet, thanks to us voting he survive the hydra attack, he wakes up -much to soulsmith's dismay on the timing- possibly before the pit is even opened.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nist Akath. Betrayal in the Tundra.
« Reply #3807 on: March 19, 2010, 12:41:51 pm »

Came across this gem from early in the thread.

Xotes for some reason elected to forgo the training. Instead she planted more crops. Possibly sowing the seeds of our destruction!? I shall keep my eye on her!

Foreshadowing?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

underdark

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: March 19, 2010, 04:53:42 pm »

What I'm wondering is this:  By dying the day resets and everybody but Captain Ironblood loses their memory of the previous day; are gods exempt from this?
Quote from: Captain Mayday
In any case, having a ceiling fall on you is not fun. Nor is falling through one, plummeting a few stories. Note to self: Sand can still be hard.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: March 19, 2010, 05:43:08 pm »

Can't believe I actually managed to appear.  :) And die of course; but thats to be expected.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 265