Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 386701 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #1755 on: January 30, 2009, 12:10:10 pm »

Holy mother of jesus on a boat on a river with cellophane trees.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Keifru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: January 30, 2009, 12:16:12 pm »

Running with things here...

Holy kleenexes batman, it was right under our nose and we blew it!

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: January 30, 2009, 12:24:29 pm »

Robin: Holey rusted metal, Batman!
Bman: Huh?
Robin: The ground, it's all metal. It's full of holes. You know, holey.
Bman: Oh.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: January 30, 2009, 12:28:32 pm »

On a side note, HF thinks that it's a capital idea to try to hug Tankers to death in Left 4 Dead!

I couldn't hug you, you were too far away, I was a twelve-pack in, and I'd already high-fived the hell out of Zoey!  What else did you want from me!  Wait, I just realized what you wanted - for me to stop hiding in closets when the Horde would find us and leaving you all to handle them while I laughed over team speak.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:48:14 pm by Heavy Flak »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: January 30, 2009, 09:06:14 pm »

The Notes of Hikan Riddlewire, kept on his person.
The entry for 27th Granite, 1068.

I had forgotten what dwarven alcohol can do to somebody, especially if they haven't drunk any of it in a long time. I think I may have told Vatek I loved him, and I think I may have bought Udib an anniversary present.

And I think I got into a deep and involved conversation with a philosophically minded Zefonist about the dwarven condition, and how alcohol plays a role in it, and I think I may have gotten on Dodik's makeshift stage and sung a happy song. And I think for a while I was actually friendly to people. I know that when I walked into Aryn's office today I smiled and asked him how his day was.

I remember now why I got addicted to water. The clear head, the sour personality, restraint, and much more.

Now that I've collected myself, I can now ask the question I've been thinking about since last night: What in the fuck was that?

I get attacked by a bunch of Grovellers, all mentally unstable, and then a black leather clad dwarf with a black leather mask comes and rescues me by throwing them all in the lava! I seem to be tangentially connected to many strange happenings in Migrursut, and it's freaking me the hell out!

I would tell Vatek about it, but I just told him I loved him, and I doubt he would believe me anyway. Hell, even with all the crazy crap that's happened here, it's still a hard tale to swallow.

Heh, I guess all those Grovs explains Glacies' gruesome magic tricks. I was wond--

Glacies.

That bastard book keep will pay for this.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: January 30, 2009, 11:31:23 pm »

When I get back I will be dead. That'll be akward to explain away.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: January 30, 2009, 11:37:42 pm »

All the Zefonists would probably have a great time with it though

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: January 31, 2009, 08:05:06 am »

All the Zefonists would probably have a great time with it though

HALLELUJAH HE IS RISEN AGAIN!

It really wouldn't work out like that, though.  Zefonists believe you have to worship Zefon to be reborn.  Glacies is a Lenodite if I remember.
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: January 31, 2009, 01:04:09 pm »

The events of the 2nd of Slate, 1068

"Mr. Estetar, I must say, I am quite impressed with your initiative and drive."
"Why thank you, Miss Deerowl.  I've certainly tried."

They lounged in his office, sipping fisher berry wine.  Diplomat Deerowl smiled fondly at Aryn.  For his part, the lines of worry and annoyance had faded some, the hard scowl that had seemed etched on his face had vanished.  He looked almost relaxed. 
"I didn't think it was possible, but that little garden you have outside is simply a marvel.  With the history of this place, with the very sands spawned from elven bones and the cloven hooves of foul demons, to find a way to coax green life to grow is... simply amazing."
"Err, yes," Aryn said, averting his eyes briefly.  "indeed, it's been the most important project on my mind."

There was a brief knock on the door before it opened.  Madam Dodik-Come-Lately strode in, her dress brushing the stones on the floor.  Diplomat Deerowl looked moderately amused, but Aryn's eyes narrowed.  "Doesn't anyone have the damn courtesy to wait until I'm done meeting with important guests before coming in to ruin my day?"

"Aryn, I believe we have a problem."
"Yes.  You're interrupting my meeting."
Dodik-Come-Lately flashed a smile at the diplomat, who gave a small nod of her head.  Her gaze swung back towards Aryn.  "I have some information that you might be interested to hear.  It concerns many things, Aryn, many things you might have an interest in.  Things like... stolen jewels, and a theft of months worth of profit, and contraband being sold to unwitting traders-"

At that last point Deerowl nearly choked on her wine.  She sputtered, a dribble of red running down her chin.  She began to speak but Aryn quickly held up a hand.  "I'd suggest you give that information up, for the safety of this fortress."
"I'd suggest you inquire about a price first," she replied with a smile.
"This isn't a negotiation.  This is about security.  This is information that, if withheld, would get a dwarf locked up in The Black Cells until their tongues are loosened."
"Oh?  This is information that is only known by the offending party and myself," Dodik said cooly, the lie rolling off her tongue without a second thought.  "And it is information you would not even be aware of, had I not felt it my duty as a concerned citizen to discuss.  I'll tell you what Aryn.  Come visit my establishment sometime, aye?  If you want to be reasonable and discuss terms, come enjoy the waterfall, have a drink, and we'll discuss just what this information may be worth to you.  Good day!  And Miss Deerowl, it is such a pleasure to see you."

As Dodik Left, Diplomat Deerowl gave a small shrug.  "She seems helpful enough, Mr. Estetar, though I greatly dislike her insinuations that our nations traders are smuggling illicit goods from neferaous sources here in your home."
"She's not helpful at all," Aryn growled.  "This is going to cost me dearly.  Maybe I should just lock her up and be done with it..."

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: January 31, 2009, 08:59:22 pm »

The events of the 9th of Slate, 1068

Dust and smoke was still spiraling into the air, three days after The Events.  Rice had pulled himself out of bed, the bone in his arm mended but the wound infected.  He kept it wrapped in tuber leaves soaked in brine to keep the swelling down, but the small fever had already taken it's toll.  Rice looked old, haggard, his hair and beard streaked with lines of gray.

He stood at the edge of the cliff supported by Lucy.  To his side stood Howard and Istrath, the pair bent over the set of blueprints that had been finalized almost a month ago.  All around him, Dwarves staggered past, coughing and wheezing into kerchiefs, many with blood clotting around the corners of their mouths from lung-and-mouth damages.

"How could this happen?"  Rice asked quietly.  "Lucy, could it have been prevented?"
"I don't know, love," she said.  "Madam Dodik, and that dock worker Rinsesilver were asking me to design the water works for their establishment.  I haven't been in this hole for... since the last implosion."
"What's the count now?"
"Five dwarves recovering from concussions.  The miners have recovered the bodies of a child, a jeweler, and a stone worker... I hope there aren't any more."
"One of the Orbsbarb children was snatched last week, wasn't he?" Rice asked.
"Yeah... that family is nearly extinct now."

Rice shook his head sadly.  "This is a disaster.  This place is crumbling.  The soldiers dead, a total collapse due to negligence, goblins sneaking off with our children... it's hard to do this."
"I know it is... try not to think about it, it'll just make you depressed."
"I'm already depressed."
"Then it'll make you more depressed."  Lucy sighed, and leaned in to give Rice a hug. 

After a moment in the embrace, Rice slowly made his way to the pair of architects.  "How does it look, Istrath."
"Amazing.  Roaroak's designs are... highly unusual, so much glass, so much steel instead of good Dwarven stone... but this is, quite possibly, the most structurally sound piece of construction I have ever before looked at.  It's a technical marvel."
"It has to be," Roaroak said quietly.  He gave a small, insolent shrug, and drew a line from the base of the main dome up to it's tip.  "This will all be under great pressure from the water run-off.  Aryn's bleeding the ocean, diverting it's power to enclose this dome from the rest of the world.  Of course it's a marvel - nothing else would do.  You wouldn't want that much green glass imploding inwards, would you?"
"How long will my workers be toiling down there?" Rice asked.
"Hard to say.  Depends on how many you have left."
"Well... there are only four of my core crew left, and Aryn has placed all but a few of the decommissioned guardsmen on masonry detail.  That, along with the miners - minus Archin, gives us... almost twenty five?  That should go fast."

Howard nodded once, a curt tilt of his head.  "I'll go inform Aryn, then.  As soon as the dust clouds clear, we'll begin work.  I suspect you'll want this to go quickly, Mr. Relicmastered."

At Rice's startled look, Howard offered a small smile, a thin slash across his mouth.  "Don't look surprised.  You look like you need a good sleep.  Some rest.  to relax.  Be thankful for that, Mr. Relicmastered.  Some of us only know how to push, and work."

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: February 01, 2009, 01:01:57 am »

Dust and smoke was still spiraling into the air, three days after The Events.

Heh. Three days ago... The Events. That sounds a lot more ominous than just a cave-in.

Rice and Lucy's perspective on these events was an eye-opener. That through all the death, rebellion, deceit, sabotage, greed, anger, and everything else that describes Migrursut (and Dwarf Fortress, incidentally), there was actual tragedy occurring, and dwarves we're becoming weary and depressed from it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: February 01, 2009, 01:47:44 am »

The events of the 15th of Slate, 1068

Thumbing through his notebook, Hikan trudged out into the harsh sunlight.  The instant he was in the open he was sweating horribly, and a stained kerchief was lifted to mop at his forehead.  He rounded the corner and paused for an instant, watching the clean-up crew gingerly preparing for another venture down into The Pit, while the build team assembled and were briefed by Rice and Howard. 

The groups gave him a wide berth; being "Aryn's Man" certainly had a few perks, though it left friends far and few between.  And though he wouldn't consider Vatek a 'friend', the Dwarf was privy to one of the bigger mysteries of the fortress, and had been a valuable resource in uncovering clues on the bodies found around the grounds. 

As he entered the ever-growing construction site, he once again became a little antsy.  The majority of dwarves wore small cloth masks over their nose and mouth, aprons and gloves lines with led plates, all carrying large blocks of cinnabar.  Pushing the paranoid thoughts aside, he entered the Poison Temple itself, walking towards Stravitch's assigned guard.

"Hoy, what the hell are you doing?" Hikan barked, giving Vatek a shove.  "Did the poison finally get to you?"
"Huh?  Uh!  Oh..."  Vatek jumped, and blinked, his hand on the hilt of his mace.  He looked bad-off, his eyes bloodshot, dark circles forming under his eyes.  He blinked, clearing the cobwebs from his mind, finally focusing on Hikan.  "Oh.  What the hell?  I'm busy out here... Stravitch is... where is he?"

"I saw him heading to the mess for an afternoon drink.  Look, I've noticed something I wanted to go over with you, but what the hell is wrong?  You look terrible."
"I don't get much sleep these days."

Hikan gave him a critical look, but quickly shrugged it off.  "Look, see this map of the fortress?"
"That's... done in pencil and crayon.  It's not even to scale."
"Just shut up and look.  See where the bodies are?  They start out at the edge of the terrorist, by the pumps to the aqueducts.  That's where the first body was found.  And as others were discovered..." 

Vatek looked at the small map and gave a slow nod.  "So... it's spiraling inwards?"
"Aye.  Mayor Ineth was the last, along the scaffolding of the pit."
"Hmm... then we need someone to keep watch down at that construction site.  Assuming your map is actually accurate."

Hikan nodded and quickly slipped his notebook back inside his pocket.  "I'll do my best to watch people going down the access hatch.  With the top level dropped in, that's the only entrance.  You're not too far from the cliffs at this post.  Keep your eye on it too, will you?"
"Sure... I'll do just that, lieutenant." 
"What?"
"I need a damn nap.  Stravitch is having a drink?  Good, maybe I can sneak in a bit of shut eye before he wanders back out here..."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: February 01, 2009, 08:47:11 am »

Hehe. Guess that solves one mystery.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: February 01, 2009, 11:23:31 am »

Diary of Maggarg.
This place is insane. Not the good Abbeyverse benign insane, but the bad Waterbore insane insane.
That, um, Event, killed 5 dwarves and ruined the health of some others. I heard the crash , and i was on the other side of the fort. Aryn is mad.
Stravich is madder. Aryn might be insane in a big way, but he's kind of directing it. Stravich is absolutely batshit. I saw Vatek not long ago and I reckon he's had it. He looks like he should be wearing one of those black masks and lurching around the place.
Riddlewire is beginning to dig all kinds of stuff up because of those murders, and I'm getting uncomfortable again.
I'm staying away from that damn quarry at any rate.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: February 01, 2009, 06:26:51 pm »

I hope in the future Hikan gets to man some sort of call, or maybe a signal, that will alert the caped dwarf that he wishes to speak with him.

The Notes of Hikan Riddlewire.
Entry for the week of 15th Slate, 1068.

On map of Migrursut, locations and times of bodies indicates spiral. Need accurate map; might be able to narrow search. However, bodies could be moved to locations. Will talk to Aryn about map; he commissions accurate map every year, likely has one in stock. Will need someone with advanced mathematical knowledge to help plot spiral. Will talk to Bertrand.

Might need to expand law enforcement net. Could pay Dodik's women to watch locations and report to me; could also hire former guards. Military also an option; will talk to Merkil to have their patrol reports sent to me. Excess of Grovs also an option. No, nevermind. Bad idea.

Told Vatek about spiral. Seemed out of it. Felt like asking him about his plan, but left him alone about it.

Black cape dwarf's presence bugs me. Looks like a batman. Will talk to Makrond about black leather he may have worked on; will talk to Kuli about studded black leather he or his workers may have come across; will talk to traders about black dyes that may have been used if other approaches turn up nothing.

People keep calling me lieutenant. I like it. Will demand people refer to me as Lieutenant Riddlewire from now on.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 189