Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32

Author Topic: Mod: Legendary Lands = Released 1.11e 20-July Read first post!  (Read 78904 times)

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mod: Legendary Lands = Released 1.11 20-DEC Read first post!
« Reply #285 on: January 27, 2009, 11:25:21 am »

Do you get counterstrikes in fortress mode?

Certainly.  It's the reason fish are deadly.  They bite at the dwarf, he counterstrikes and charges into the water.  Whether he hits or not is irrelevant.  Now the fish are much faster than he is and can nibble him to death while he's stunned from the fall.

BirdoPrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 01, 2009, 10:58:24 pm »

I understand that mods (especially mods this extensive) make DF more unstable in general, but this is the 5th time i've lost more than an hour of gameplay because the game randomly crashed on me. Is there any way to make this happen less? Playing the same season over and over again is starting to really sap my will to play.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 02, 2009, 12:37:58 am »

I understand that mods (especially mods this extensive) make DF more unstable in general, but this is the 5th time i've lost more than an hour of gameplay because the game randomly crashed on me. Is there any way to make this happen less? Playing the same season over and over again is starting to really sap my will to play.

Understandable. I honestly have been looking for the reason that this occurs. But the problem is, there's just no error to tip me off as to what is happening.
Can you tell me a bit about your fortress, and when it is crashing (as in the date)
I would also like to know the biome details if you can provide them.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

BirdoPrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 02, 2009, 08:08:03 am »

Understandable. I honestly have been looking for the reason that this occurs. But the problem is, there's just no error to tip me off as to what is happening.
Can you tell me a bit about your fortress, and when it is crashing (as in the date)
I would also like to know the biome details if you can provide them.

Hmm, do you know the best way to find the biome information for a site after i've already embarked? I can tell you that it's a pretty diverse area, 5x5 with a pit, chasm, magma pipe, underground river and HFS.

Immigrants seem to be one aspect of the problem. Earlier on (in mid-summer i think) I had just backed up the game when it crashed 2 minutes later. Loaded it up again and it crashed at the same place. Tried it one more time and instead of crashing I got a wave of immigrants. I know that immigrants aren't the only problem though, since on a couple occasions it has crashed, and when i played back to that point there was no mention of immigrants.

I'm going to train myself to back up every month or so and I'll try to keep better track of these occurrences so I can hopefully be of help :)

I should mention that despite the crashes, I'm getting a huge kick out of your mod. The more difficult farming makes it much more gritty-feeling, and I'm getting enormous amounts of traders. I love how I can request ridiculously awesome animals from elves. Can't wait till the attacks start in full force!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 02, 2009, 09:01:35 am »

I'm glad you're enjoying the mod.  :D

I can probably tell your biome from a few bits of info:
How hot and cold does it get?
How many trees?
What kind of animals?
Is it a mountain square?

I can't imagine that the migrants are the problem. From what I can tell though, it sounds like a spawn problem for an event. Events include megabeasts, invasions, ambushes, traders, etc.
As I type this, I got an idea that maybe the problem is the Lizardmen or the Skalassi.
You'll find them mentioned in creature_civvers.txt
Please try removing the following tags from them, it will not require a regen:
[AMPHIBIOUS][UNDERSWIM][FISHITEM]

BirdoPrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 02, 2009, 09:14:17 am »

Okay I removed those tags, will let you know what happens. I have seen both skalassi and lizardmen in my game so far though...

As for biome... Not sure about temperature but it hasn't been so cold/hot the water freezes/dries up so I guess it's pretty temperate. The lower half of the map is a mountainous area, and the top part seems to be more grasslands. To the right there are occasional trees and to the left there are tons. Animals I've seen so far include porcupines and moose.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 02, 2009, 09:33:53 am »

Okay I removed those tags, will let you know what happens. I have seen both skalassi and lizardmen in my game so far though...

As for biome... Not sure about temperature but it hasn't been so cold/hot the water freezes/dries up so I guess it's pretty temperate. The lower half of the map is a mountainous area, and the top part seems to be more grasslands. To the right there are occasional trees and to the left there are tons. Animals I've seen so far include porcupines and moose.

Hm, fairly temperate climate. Moose and porcupines share the temperate forest biome, so I suspect it's a temperate forest. Porcupines also hang out in temperate grasslands.
Since these are living animals, and not savage, I'll choose to believe it's a normal wilderness map, not particularly savage or benign, and not 'good'.
That limits it significantly. Since it sounds like a time trigger event, it's not likely to be an animal. Therefore, a megabeast, or a civ race is at fault.

BirdoPrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 02, 2009, 09:50:47 am »

Since my fortress population isn't even 30 yet and my net worth still less than 100k I don't think it's a megabeast at this stage.

a.f.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 02, 2009, 10:46:09 am »

Migrants are definitely a problem, to be precise the time when they arrive.. As you know, they and all the stuff with them are generated at this moment. So i suppose it's related to several things like:
- stuff they are wearing - check all the THREAD plants and make sure they are working ok, i remember that removing those THREAD tags from new ones gave me much less crashes; also check MILL - DYES, this can be screwed up too.. - maybe there're some issues with animals' leather used for clothes or even with bones/metals/stones for art improvements generation?
- so if there's a problem with metals there can be problem when generating equipment..
- pets? i think this can be a problem too.. there're lots of new creatures with with pet tags.. maybe some creatures are working wrong and couldn't be generated in fortress mode?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 10:56:45 am by a.f. »

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 02, 2009, 11:12:03 am »

Migrants are definitely a problem, to be precise the time when they arrive.. As you know, they and all the stuff with them are generated at this moment. So i suppose it's related to several things like:
- stuff they are wearing - check all the THREAD plants and make sure they are working ok, i remember that removing those THREAD tags from new ones gave me much less crashes; also check MILL - DYES, this can be screwed up too.. - maybe there're some issues with animals' leather used for clothes or even with bones/metals/stones for art improvements generation?
- so if there's a problem with metals there can be problem when generating equipment..
- pets? i think this can be a problem too.. there're lots of new creatures with with pet tags.. maybe some creatures are working wrong and couldn't be generated in fortress mode?

That's something I hadn't thought of before. It may certainly be that this is the case. I'll have to check over the stuff they might be wearing.
It could possibly be a dye from one of the additional plants.

knowbuddyuno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 02, 2009, 02:57:29 pm »

Hey Captain, I was having crashing problems, too. Removing those tags worked like a charm. If I run into any more crashes, I'll let you know.

Thanks for the mod.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 02, 2009, 09:06:13 pm »

Hey Captain, I was having crashing problems, too. Removing those tags worked like a charm. If I run into any more crashes, I'll let you know.

Thanks for the mod.

You're welcome. I hope getting rid of those will do the trick.

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 02, 2009, 10:09:15 pm »

A consistent issue with crashing since using the LL mod is that I crash when trying to reclaim forts. Thought I'd throw that one in but I don't have any ideas of reasons yet.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 02, 2009, 10:13:29 pm »

A consistent issue with crashing since using the LL mod is that I crash when trying to reclaim forts. Thought I'd throw that one in but I don't have any ideas of reasons yet.

Hm, possibly an issue regarding some kind of subterranean animal.

knowbuddyuno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 03, 2009, 11:58:06 am »

I'm having issues with my dwarves harvesting food. 'Dwarves all harvest' is selected, but I still have plump helmets sitting there and rotting while workers sit without jobs. Not all my plump helmets are left to rot, but enough that my people are starving when they really don't need to be. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32