Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Multi-Racial Fortresses HOWTO [UPDATE: doesn't work ful  (Read 3274 times)

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Racial Fortresses HOWTO [UPDATE: doesn't work ful
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 10:32:00 pm »

Cool! Elves who actually don't suck!
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 12:42:00 am »

Do these non-dwarf "slaves" appear on the pop count in the 'Z' menu?  If they don't, then you've stumbled across a peculiar way to have a large fortress while bypassing (with a small population cap) such things as the mayor, true nobility, and all other things that require a large pop.

Also, two (three?) words:  Troll hunter-killers.

[ November 16, 2007: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 09:20:00 am »

If you have animals with sufficient skills, do they get renamed to "Craftsdogs"/"Axedogs" etc?
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 09:30:00 am »

No.
The names of professions are in the raws.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 04:07:00 pm »

It's not working with me. I put the tag on, but they aren't on the list!
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2007, 06:36:00 pm »

It doesn't work for most professions, unfortunately. i didn't find a way to remove the tame-tag, maybe there isn't one without memory/savegame-editing. (It isn't even clear if this would solve the problems)

It does work with the jobs hunting and fishing. Your creature needs be able to equip i think, to pick up fish&their kill.

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2007, 06:41:00 pm »

What I mean is that I can't buy the creature, even with the tags on it.

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2007, 07:03:00 pm »

Oh yes... you have to generate a new world, so that the creatures start to show up as pets in the civs.

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2007, 07:46:00 pm »

Still not working!

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2007, 10:08:00 pm »

No idea. Some flags like [evil] do block creatures from becoming pets in civs without the use evil animals flag, for example, regardless of other flags.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2007, 03:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Furious Fish:
<STRONG>If you have animals with sufficient skills, do they get renamed to "Craftsdogs"/"Axedogs" etc?</STRONG>

The only time you get specific names is when they're already defined with those names; by default everyone is a Craftsman/Axeman. Dwarves have manually written exceptions, but others don't.

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Mylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2007, 04:21:00 am »

Oh, well if the world is generated with a pet tag and then the tag is removed, I would expect some wonkiness as well!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2007, 01:39:00 pm »

You can use EVIL creatures by adding USE_EVIL_ANIMALS to your civ (as already mentioned), but there's no way to use SAVAGE or GOOD creatures yet, unfortunately.

ssorion

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2007, 07:42:00 pm »

Played with this idea for few days. So heres what i found out :
1) Strip all [EVIL][GOOD] and [FANCIFUL] tags from creature, or it just will not appear.
2) Its not (tame) tag which blocks the working.
I was trying to strip it by memhacking, and while doing it found how to change races of existing units.
I was playing a new civilization of demons, with intelligent imps as pets. Done remove-the-pet-tag-on-saveload. So we get imp who can only hunt and fish. Now i memhack it into demon race, and boom. He keeps his (tame) flag but now he can do all the jobs and listed in 'z'. He keeps his body layout, but tile is demon's instead of his original.
Then i tried reverse way, found original demon peasant, and memhacked him into being an imp. Obviously he didnt have (tame) flag. And now he acts like tame ones - only hunting and fishing. Tried changing him to other races, like humans and elves, nothing works. He do jobs only if his race ID matches my original fortress race ID. http://ssorion.info/misc/df2.jpg  http://ssorion.info/misc/df3.jpg

quote:
If you have animals with sufficient skills, do they get renamed to "Craftsdogs"/"Axedogs" etc?

Sure.
I got plenty of "Tentacle Demon Hunter" and "Tentacle Demon Fisherdemon" in one of my longer test games.

[ November 17, 2007: Message edited by: ssorion ]

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2007, 08:21:00 pm »

Really interesting. Didn't have time to mess around with DF due to rl constrains. That means the engine selects the intelligent, working cave dwellers after a set "race" of the fortress, and probably a faction. (Because merchants aren't controllable)

Did you try to safe and load after the memhack? Did the creature keep its racial abilities? Was it wounded?

[ November 17, 2007: Message edited by: Mover#005 ]

Pages: 1 [2] 3