Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Multi-Racial Fortresses HOWTO [UPDATE: doesn't work ful  (Read 3276 times)

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multi-Racial Fortresses HOWTO [UPDATE: doesn't work ful
« on: November 15, 2007, 12:26:00 am »

It isn't that easy, and its bound with a little trickery. I don't know if it will break your game, so do it at your own risk.

First, add the [PET] and [COMMON_DOMESTIC] Tag to the creature, you want as useable in your fortress-Setup.

1. start a new Fortress. Plan carefully. Buy the Creature as pet in the planning-Screen

2. Enter the Area and Quit&Save the game immediately.

3. Quit the game.

4. Remove the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] and [PET] Tags from the creature.

5. Load up and have fun, you crazy bastard.

http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=desktop26ia3.jpg

Some things to Consider:

Creatures who can't equip&haven't Hands aren't very useful as workers obviously. I think they need the [INTELLIGENT] tag (thats the cause the dog in the screen got a name) I'm not entirely sure through.

[ November 18, 2007: Message edited by: Mover#005 ]

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Racial Fortresses HOWTO [UPDATE: doesn't work ful
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 12:35:00 am »

Clever.
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 12:42:00 am »

I was wondering about this. Thanks  :)

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 12:53:00 am »

I can't play now because I'm at work ATM but I think it could give problems with the job manager, because of the TAME flag. It will probably not work with some jobs.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 12:55:00 am »

humans and dwarves living side by side!
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 01:40:00 am »

Is it just me or all all your screenshots dogs?

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 02:44:00 am »

I'd guess that the screens are from before he removes the tags. Or that the game calls these guys dogs, and that we should rally support for the ability to implement non-homogeneous fortress mods in the suggestions forum.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 03:07:00 am »

Sorry, if this wasn't really clear. I did start a fortress with humans, and did make the dogs selectable, with the mentioned method. they were normal dogs, just selectable and with the labor menu enabled. It would work with any creature really. I did have a Fortress with harpies who did the hunting for me. They couldn't work because they had no hands (or so i thought)

I did the same experiment with a dwarven fortress + human pets. They could also fish. I didn't had the time to check for much other professions but i think most of them didn't work. I have to recheck when I come home from work.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 03:09:00 am »

Sounds a bit like slaves. Could they do most of the hauling tasks?
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 03:13:00 am »

They did drink and eat, but I didn't check hauling,sorry. (no time left, had to went for work) Found it interesting enough to share it with the Forum. I will make a few tests when I come home.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 01:28:00 pm »

I tried this before in the old version unsuccesfully.  Does not work maybe if you added proffessions to the other creature never got it workin.....
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 05:09:00 pm »

Nope, no hauling. I think the TAME Flag on the creatures is maybe to blame that most jobs don't work. Will look into this, allthough I don't think there is really much one can do.

EdIT: Funny thing is, if you make Dwarfs to pets, you can buy additional dwarfs as pets in the embarking-screen. (they show up as peasants  and children) You can't add skills to them, but after you embark, they work like normal citizens. I want my ape-butlers damn it.  :D

[ November 15, 2007: Message edited by: Mover#005 ]

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 05:20:00 pm »

I don't suppose you can kill the [TAME] tag on a (new) race after you do this, to solve that problem?

Somebody ought to try a Human, Elf and Dwarf Fortress. It would be like one of those stupid reality television shows with all sorts of diverse sorts living in one house. Except it would actually be worth watching.

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 05:44:00 pm »

I think (and take that with a grain of salt, because only toady really knows) the engine is sorting creatures in factions. Pets, tame animals, dwarfes all belong to the "Outpost" faction. Because I deleted the [PET] flag (and added the [INTELLIGENT] flag) the engine recognized the tested creatures as normal, intelligent outpost dwellers for some functions, but for some reason or other, not for all functions.

I think the creatures lose their [PET] status on reloading (because the selected creature can't be a pet after the txt changes) but they don't lose their [TAME] status. which make them recognizable by the internal Job-Manager etc.

I think "tame" is just another AI-State, like "Eating" and "Drinking". there are some jobs which go over the priority of tame, but only a few.

Maybe intelligent, workable fortress beings can be on their own internal list, or determined by race, or completely another internal objects alltogether. then we are totally out of luck. But I don't think this is the case, because then this here probably wouldn't work.

EDIT: Now, I'll try flags wich could knock out the TAME-Flag.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 06:14:00 pm »

Stupid question:

Has anyone tried adding two [CREATURE:x] tags to an entity?

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.
Pages: [1] 2 3