Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Iron Wood  (Read 1717 times)

Himmelhand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Iron Wood
« on: May 31, 2008, 03:48:00 pm »

Is it possible to make a tree that can be cut into wood that has bonuses like iron, or any other material, for that matter?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Wood
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 03:52:00 pm »

No, wood does not have such properties yet. You can have it weigh like iron, and be resistant to burning and melting, but you cannot change the damage and block values.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 06:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>No, wood does not have such properties yet. You can have it weigh like iron, and be resistant to burning and melting, but you cannot change the damage and block values.</STRONG>

Although theoretically you could make lava-safe waterwheels and windmills.

Which sounds awesome.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 07:59:00 pm »

Or you could make a reaction in the smelter to "refine" said log into usable iron...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 09:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by jaybud4:
<STRONG>Or you could make a reaction in the smelter to "refine" said log into usable iron...</STRONG>

Though if we're going to outright cheat by smelting trees into metal as opposed to just creating a ludicrously buffed lignum vitae, we might as well just make a reaction sans reagent and have the iron be free.

I say "we" because I'm a windbag and prone to such things.

[ June 01, 2008: Message edited by: MuonDecay ]

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 09:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by MuonDecay:
<STRONG>

Though if we're going to outright cheat by smelting trees into metal as opposed to just creating a ludicrously buffed lignum vitae,
we might as well just make a reaction sans reagent and have the iron be free.
[ June 01, 2008: Message edited by: MuonDecay ]</STRONG>

I think he wants it to only work for a particular tree though. At the moment all trees are basically the same except for the feather tree (which is far lighter than the others).

Modding in reactions like this means some trees will be more desirable then others.

[ June 01, 2008: Message edited by: Ramirez ]

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 12:32:00 am »

I'm not really a hard-core modder, so I may be wrong on this one.

Would it be possible to create a "metal" with wood as a reagent from a reaction at the smelter?  You would basically have the imput as your normal iron wood, and your output as something like "hardened iron wood," which would basically be iron by a different name.  This would allow the iron wood to take on the same properties as iron.  It also makes sense that the wood wood (pun!) need some sort of processing to make it as hard as iron.

Of course, this means that your smiths would be beating the iron wood with hammers at the forge to make your -iron wood sword-, but nobody ever accused dwarfs of being smart.

All generalizations are false....including this one.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »

Not necessary.
Just transform it in the smelter into the [SHARP] rock named "hardened iron wood" and you'll be able to make items from them in craftsdwarf's workshop.
Cool idea! I'm gonna add this to my modpack =).

[ June 02, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

sillybear25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 05:30:00 pm »

Just for the sake of realism, why not have your dwarves "fire" this wood in the wood furnace with the wood burning skill instead of "smelting" it in the smelter? I'm pretty sure it would not be difficult to implement...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »

The smelter is the only workshop where we can make new things.  Every other workshop is hardcoded, but the smelter has a nice little text file with all the stuff we need for making custom processes.

If we had access to the build lists of other workshops, then it'd be no problem.

Oh, Deon...  If you turn it into a [SHARP] rock, then you won't be able to build a lot of things that you would normally be able to make out of wood, and it would also be turned into weapons by a stonecrafter.  Not that a metalworker would be any more suited for the task of handling a chunk of hardened wood, mind you.

sillybear25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Oh, Deon...  If you turn it into a [SHARP] rock, then you won't be able to build a lot of things that you would normally be able to make out of wood, and it would also be turned into weapons by a stonecrafter.  Not that a metalworker would be any more suited for the task of handling a chunk of hardened wood, mind you.</STRONG>

I think the idea there was that if you harden wood, it's more like a rock. So you could make "raw ironwood" furniture at the carpenter's workshop and "hardened ironwood" stuff at the mason's workshop/craftsdwarf's workshop.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »

Yeah, so I don't see this problem: if you want beds, you make beds. If you want weapons, you harden it and carve a blade out of it.
I've added this into my Merged Modpack and it works fine.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository