Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Obsidian trap components  (Read 1248 times)

ZedEh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Obsidian trap components
« on: April 15, 2008, 08:09:00 pm »

I tried some searching and didn't turn anything up.  Does anyone know how to mod the RAW files to make obsidian serrated disks?  Or wooden weapons, for that matter?
our sig will appear here

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian trap components
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 10:04:00 pm »

[CAN_STONE] may do it, add it to the entries in item_trapcomp.txt
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 11:38:00 pm »

I was totally unsuccessful in modding trap components....
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

ZedEh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 12:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fleeb:
<STRONG>[CAN_STONE] may do it, add it to the entries in item_trapcomp.txt</STRONG>

Tried that, no luck.  Maybe with a restart.  Won't work with arrows, either.  Which is both too bad and a good thing.  Legendary stonecrafters are a dime a dozen, after all.
our sig will appear here

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 01:44:00 pm »

CAN_STONE only works for weapons.

Ammo only accepts NAME, DAMAGE, CLASS, and STICK_CHANCE tags.

Trapcomps accept NAME, ADJECTIVE, DAMAGE, STICK_CHANCE, WEIGHT, MATERIAL_SIZE, CRIT_BOOST (chance boost to damage internals), HITS (number or hits per attack), IS_SCREW (can be used as screwpump component), IS_SPIKE (can be put into upright spike traps), and WOOD and METAL for materials. No other tags will influence them, alas.

If Toady read all my comments, he's probably tired of them already, but I'll say it again. DF needs to have all item classes unified. A weapon is just an item with a damage boost. A trap component is just a weapon you can't wield. A rapier provides armor for hands. An iron gauntlet adds to your melee damage. If all items have the same tags, and only differ by their use, making a real-looking world is a lot easier, methinks.
(I understand that such restructuring is a huge amount of work and won't happen even if Toady wants to do it, but I never heard his opinion on this)

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India