Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Single-player shooters with good stories  (Read 1504 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Single-player shooters with good stories
« on: July 23, 2024, 06:07:18 pm »

Have there been any good and engaging single-player campaigns without RPG mechanics in any recent shooters? I'm talking about things similar to FEAR, or Half-Life. Or the fun, cinematic campaigns of Halo and Call of Duty. I just wanna shoot some bad guys and have a good story, I don't wanna bother with multiplayer or grind for anything.

I've played and enjoyed:
CoD4:MW 1-3 + Black Ops 1
Halo 1-4 + Reach
Half-Life 1-3 + A bunch of source mods
Black Mesa
Space Marine
FEAR 1-3 (Yes 3 was good)
Spec Ops: The Line
Max Payne 1-3
Hatred
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Titanfall 2 (RIP to my homie BT)
Boltgun
DOOM 1-2
New DOOM 1-2
Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Bad Games:
Turok 1-2 + Evolution
Doom 3
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Single-player shooters with good stories
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2024, 03:30:27 pm »

DUSK DUSK DUSK DUSK DUSK DUSK

it has as much story as DOOM 1-2 does, but it's about as tight as it gets for the boomer shooter genre; there's no upgrades or experience points, just your handful of guns, your handful of levels, and your handful of bad guys.

Honorable mention goes to Northern Journey, which is a shooter in abstraction (you start with a sling and get a small assortment of medieval projectile weapons) and absolutely drips atmosphere. Probably not close enough to what you're after, but maybe?

rip turok though

i might also reco-

I've played and enjoyed:
Half-Life 1-3+ A bunch of source mods

excuse me how did you count past two

« Last Edit: July 24, 2024, 03:34:54 pm by None »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2024, 10:13:11 pm »

I've played and enjoyed:
Half-Life 1-3+ A bunch of source mods

don't worry about it

Anyway yeah DUSK looks sick. I haven't played Northern Journey, but I saw a full playthrough and I think that's enough for me. Quite a nice game! That music for the dancing scene was surprisingly funky.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2024, 10:14:36 am by tonnot98 »
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2024, 08:43:44 pm »

Hush hush, three doesn't exist. It's OK.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2024, 03:39:59 am »

Link to Ashes 2063 on ModDB

If you like original Doom and games like Fallout 3 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R., "Ashes 2063" is really good. It doesn't have the RPG elements of Fallout, though it does have simple weapon upgrades, and it's got huge levels to explore and scavenge around, a neat story and a really good soundtrack.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2024, 09:57:10 am »

Yeah honestly the GZDoom mod scene is a great place for classic-style shooter experiences. Even if you're not getting a TC, individual mods and maps can be combined together for a multitude of different experiences - some with fun stories and interesting changes to the Doom formula.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2024, 01:09:52 pm »

Hrot

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2024, 07:36:46 pm »

:\  back when it first came out I liked Doom 3 so much I would play it on the hardest difficulty and treat it as an action horror.  Very satisfying.

The whole 'flashlight thing' is silly enough sure, but if youre treating the game as a deadly and horror-filled experience it was trying to be it's forgivable.  It never bothered me that much since since it was part of the atmosphere.

Doom 3: RoE was just mediocre trash though.

Most recently I picked up the early access for Ultrakill, I like the combat enough though it's meant to be played fast.  Im currently finishing up on the second playthrough on hard and also toying around with a fist-only run.  I got turned onto it via the 7th layer soundtrack, violence.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2024, 10:34:18 am »

if youre treating the game as a deadly and horror-filled experience it was trying to be it's forgivable.

Most recently I picked up the early access for Ultrakill, I like the combat enough though it's meant to be played fast.  Im currently finishing up on the second playthrough on hard and also toying around with a fist-only run.  I got turned onto it via the 7th layer soundtrack, violence.
Doom 3 definitely would've been better if it wasn't a DOOM game.

Ultrakill is pretty fun, but trying to P-rank all the missions is a real pain. I really wanna fight those secret bosses :(
Meow.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2024, 10:40:42 am »

Shadow Warrior (1-3, 1-2 are the better ones)
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2024, 08:49:14 am »

Strife: Quest for the Sigil

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2024, 08:27:02 pm »

Quite old now, but I think you can still get them: the Marathon trilogy.

An ok puzzle-shooter, but a fantastic story and world building. And some very memorable sound bites... ("Frog blast the vent core!")

I can still remember the theme music...

It's what kicked off Bungie as a developer for the most part.  I'm still bitter that Microsoft bought them; one of the earliest purchases of a game dev and made their previously cross-platform work Microsoft-exclusive.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2024, 10:08:58 pm »

Turok might have been fucking stupid but it was fun as hell when you're 14.

I'd actually almost like to get ahold of a copy of them again.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2024, 08:03:44 am »

Quite old now, but I think you can still get them: the Marathon trilogy.

An ok puzzle-shooter, but a fantastic story and world building. And some very memorable sound bites... ("Frog blast the vent core!")

I can still remember the theme music...

It's what kicked off Bungie as a developer for the most part.  I'm still bitter that Microsoft bought them; one of the earliest purchases of a game dev and made their previously cross-platform work Microsoft-exclusive.

I played through the Marathon series recently. They're still quite playable if you're used to older FPS design. There's some levels that are tedious (mostly the level "Colony Ship for Sale Cheap") but overall I found them quite enjoyable.

They're free to download and play too. You can either get them from the AlephOne website or get them on Steam as they're currently in the process of being added there, for free still too. Though only Marathon 1 and Marathon 2: Durandel are available so far.

The Steam versions are the same as the ones you can download from the AlephOne website, they just have achievements and maybe some other slight changes to default settings.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2024, 09:37:38 am »

Turok might have been fucking stupid but it was fun as hell when you're 14.

I'd actually almost like to get ahold of a copy of them again.
Turok Evolution was actually one of the first FPS games I've ever played. I only recently tried it again and even nostalgia couldn't save it for me.
Meow.
Pages: [1] 2