Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to change the color of the layer "fog" from teal in 47.05?  (Read 301 times)

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
  • <dorf> has been possessed!
    • View Profile

I enjoy 47.05, I'd like to see if it's possible to change the layer "fog" from teal to maybe black or a dark green. I often play df in a dark room and go so far as to build and mine out dark layer colors to aid my eyes for lengthy sessions. The teal layer 'fog' can strain the eyes on a bright monitor.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

Yes, you can customize that in d_init.txt:
Code: [Select]
This controls the display of areas that are far below outside.  The format is SKY:<character>:<foreground color>:<background color>:<brightness>.  The <character> can be either an ASCII tile number or a character in quotes, like '#'.

[SKY:178:3:0:0]
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, you can customize that in d_init.txt:
Code: [Select]
This controls the display of areas that are far below outside.  The format is SKY:<character>:<foreground color>:<background color>:<brightness>.  The <character> can be either an ASCII tile number or a character in quotes, like '#'.

[SKY:178:3:0:0]

Ah yes, thank you, sir. I very much enjoy a [SKY:178:0:0:0] ATM. I have a vague understanding of what these values due from the description here and some trial and error but, is there some other more in depth documentation for editing these values specifically that you may know of?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

Instead of changing the sky color to Black, you could also change the character to either 177 or 176 to "thin" it out:
Compare (set the forum to Dark mode for optimal viewing):
  • 178: ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
  • 177: ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
  • 176: ░░░░░░░░
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not specifically, but these two wiki pages detail what each value will get you
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Character_table
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Color#Color_values

Thank you, sir!

Instead of changing the sky color to Black, you could also change the character to either 177 or 176 to "thin" it out:
Compare (set the forum to Dark mode for optimal viewing):
  • 178: ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
  • 177: ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
  • 176: ░░░░░░░░

That's a great idea! I'll give this a go as well.