Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Cracked Mirror  (Read 6043 times)

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cracked Mirror
« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2024, 09:00:24 am »

Taarkara perches on the human.
"So, what now?"
she/her

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 18, 2024, 09:38:45 am »

Taarkara perches on the human.
"So, what now?"

Duh?  Startled, it's no Duh? that I almost swatted that bird or ran from it when it moved from circling to swoop at me.  I've seen a lot of birds just land though, so I take the risk of raising my arm that holds the candlestick so it will - must!!!- land on that forearm (And I'm still trying to see what happens to the candle, is it even still lit?).  And I raise my other hand so it's a shield between the bird and my face.  I've seen crows go for eyes, and it's awful even if they just peck at lips or the nose, some can even punch out teeth.  I briefly review the multiple ways I can handle this bird if I have to, from suddenly ramming myself into the wall with the bird trapped between myself and the wall, to striking with the hand blocking it from my face, to bending my wrist to ignite its feathers with the candle; just making sure I have options should this bird prove a problem.  I make no effort to hide my expression; I am terrified of this bird and everything here.

I spend a moment struggling to compose myself, then ask in a strained voice, "I suggested you scout into that storeroom, Duh?  I asked you if you knew other languages.  Who are you a familiar to?"
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2024, 01:41:24 pm »

Taarkara sensed the fear of the human and she stood very still. In her calming voice, she spoke:
"Sorry, I wasn't paying much attention. The only other language is.." Her voice trailed off. What was the language of those caws?
"Nevermind, I don't know any other. I also don't want to go into the storeroom alone. I guess I am familiar with humans."
she/her

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2024, 08:11:08 pm »

Duh? takes a really deep breath, listening to the crow and thinking.  The crow seems calm, non-aggressive.  Maybe lying a bit or a lot; maybe easily confused.  But there's nothing obviously horrible about this.  Duh?'s gonna keep his free hand raised, guarding his face from the bird just in case it's smart enough to talk a little sense, seem a little neutral to score itself the chance to eat his eyes or some other disaster he can try to prevent, but he takes another look away from the storehouse, down the corridor that way and if he sees nothing new then heads back towards the storage area, slowly and carefully.  He's going to follow along the south wall, and he's mentally prepping himself to charge if he sees something alarming ahead; charge forward if the alarming something seems possible to face and handle... maybe a normal, physical opponent not better armed or stronger-looking than Duh?  And to charge away from whatever the terrifying thing ahead may be if it seems like a ghost, monster, or an otherwise incomprehensible horror.

Still got the horror-movie-vibe feels, has Duh?, and also... he's reviewing plans.  He can throw that candle... is it even still lit?... and the candlestand, or use the candlestand like a baton.  He can fling his arm to force the crow to start flying towards someone's face, and maybe attack their legs while the other's distracted and partially blinded.  He can even just meet only friendly folk who want to share tea and crumpets; that would be swell.  Duh? practically stalks along the south side of the corridor, heading back towards the storeroom.  Really bad feeling about this; a sense anywhere else to go isn't wise either.  He's psyching himself up for a fight.

If Duh? sees anything else happening down the corridor, like maybe a really calm looking woman (Hireshite, not that they've met yet) approaching, Duh? will instead stand still and watch them, then talk to them when they're still some distance away.  Calm stuff like 'That's close enough.  What's going on?' and other nice, perfectly friendly 'greetings'.  He won't even throw a crow or swing a candlestick at anything he sees, unless he's more sure it's a monster or other problem.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2024, 07:50:13 am »

Val chuckles ruefully and shakes his head, "Ah, hell, you ain't got a clue what I said," then beckons the girl over, "Wanna help me see if there's aught to eat in here?"

He continues his efforts to break into one of the crates, silently cursing his scrawny arms.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2024, 07:52:04 am »

Grumble and float along with Val.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2024, 01:41:42 pm »

Celosia jumps down from his perch, then jumps onto the crate Val is trying to open.  He sniffs it, checking to see if it smells like food.  If it doesn't, jump to the next, and then the next, sniffing them as well.  If none of them have any smell, start trying to claw at the wood of the third one, marking it.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2024, 12:50:49 pm »

You stand still for a while and your candle remains lit, but when nothing happens you return to the warehouse area and see what happened there.

Ignoring the obvious dining area on the far wall, you instead collectively cluster around a wooden crate that has been nailed shut and attempt to pry it open with your bare hands.

Shockingly, bare hands do not a good crowbar make, though Celosia's claws do leave a satisfying mark on the wood.

The crate doesn't smell like food, it smells like wood and dust mostly. So do the others. Maybe they aren't food crates?

Esselez does find that she can actually float... sort of. It's more like... like she falls unusually slowly. It's sort of like swimming in still freshwater while wearing a weight. But it wasn't like this earlier, just... just now, when she tried it.

Also Van's passenger seems to be settleing down to take a nap, and the flames from before seem to have faded, leaving only faint scorch marks on the wall.

Oh, and the man and bird from before are coming back apparently.

Spoiler: Hireshite action (click to show/hide)
"Staff such as the medical staff, the handyman, and the manager of course."

"The manager will make it clear I'm sure, you have to pass him in order to enter it anyway."

"Then go. You should get your first task shortly, use your remaining time to prepare."

Taking the candle and leaving, you return to the corridor, and see the man and bird as they leave. Given this, you head down the side corriror, finding yourself in The Mirror Room

You find yourself in a large open room, with a ring of stone benches surrounding a large bowl-shaped indentation in the center of the room. On the north wall, where you entered from, is a single open archway to the unlit corridor you went through, on the west wall is a pair of open arches leading to the warehouse, on the east wall is an archway covered by a white curtain with a red cross on it, and on the south wall is a giant pair of brass double-doors, decorated with designs of twisted and malformed faces, some showing looks of horror, some a predator grin, and some comepletely emotionless and placid. The doors are easilly large enough to fit a vehicle or wagon though them if they were open. They are not.

In the center of the indentation is a massive floor-to-ceiling mirror, its oval frame seemingly made of brass or gold. As you move throughout the room, it seems to turn with you, always facing you as you move.
And beside the mirror stands a short and overweight ?man? in a checkered orange and white suit with a black bowler hat and a massive toothy grin that is far oversized for his face, his pearly teeth each individually larger than his eyes or nose.
He's stands there leaning on a solid black cane, and checks his empty wrist as you enter the room.

"Well at least one of you have finally arrived." His jaw hinges open as he speaks, the connection between his upper jaw and lower jaw resting near the far back of his head, with only a tiny section of flesh holding them together.

"I was thinking I'd have to tell the Doctor to drag all of you into here. Now, sit down, I don't feel like explaining things twice."

He then bellows out a demand, heard to everyone

EVERYONE:

You hear a loud bellow from the room connected to the warehouse, the one with the giant floor-to-ceiling mirror
"ALRIGHT THATS ENOUGH LOLLYGAGGING. GET YOUR USELESS ASSES THE HELL IN HERE SO I CAN BRIEF YOU ON YOUR FIRST TASK!"
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2024, 05:06:13 pm »

Val mutters to himself, "Now that's a boss voice if I've ever heard one, and I ain't in shape to deal with a bad one..." With a nod and a "Good luck," directed at the slowly drifting girl he beats feet into the mirror room, trying his best to keep any nervousness off his face.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2024, 05:13:29 pm »

Go to the mirror room and flip off whoever's in there.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2024, 12:58:22 am »

Sit down, while putting the candle beside on the pew with slightly trembling hand and staring at the monster with terrified eyes.

((After that ominous and altogether unpleasant talk, she would rather like to just sit down somewhere for a moment (and to try newfound magic on dark patches in the hallway to make sure), only taking a quick look around side area on the way back, but it certainly wouldn’t be there.  :P ))
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 11:28:57 pm by MCreeper »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2024, 01:53:45 am »

Make a conscious effort to allow the kitty cat to stand on my shoulder. Let it sniff my hand.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2024, 03:34:26 am »

Jump onto the ghost girl's shoulder and ride her into the room.  If Celosia phases through her, he'll follow a safe distance behind her.
She is corporeal but you find that her skin deforms under you, bending inwards a bit.
Jump onto the ghost girl's shoulder and ride her into the room.  If Celosia phases through her, he'll follow a safe distance behind her.
This cat is HEAVY! You can handle the weight for now but wow.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2024, 12:25:36 pm »

Duh?  I freeze when I hear the voice, then continue to cautiously move into the storage area, faster but high alert.  Seeing the others heading towards a specific pathway in at least the generally correct direction, I follow them, quite quickly. That voice, I suddenly do not want to be the last one to be present.  And I'm suddenly certain I am likely to be the last, and it better not be by much.  I keep my hand raised just in case that bird does peck at my face, and I stay at least six feet behind the folks ahead of me, otherwise I try to catchup.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9