Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hippo Mounts...  (Read 443 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hippo Mounts...
« on: March 09, 2024, 05:49:08 pm »

Having read American Hippo and learning about the American Hippo Bill I want hippos that can be mounted in Adventure mode.  And, yes, can swim across rivers with you on their back.   :D
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Hippo Mounts...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 06:02:28 pm »

Should already be possible if you begin as a member of an elven civ that's tamed hippos.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 08:05:30 pm »

Should already be possible if you begin as a member of an elven civ that's tamed hippos.

Really?   Have to keep an eye out for that after the Adventure update!
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 08:59:09 pm »

Except Hippos lack the MOUNT token, so not unless elves can just ride any thing. But how would that work? There's need to be some size limit to keep them from riding around on things the size of hedgehogs.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 01:40:46 am »

I wasn't aware hippos lacked the [MOUNT_EXOTIC] token (I knew similarly-sized animals such as rhinos did, so just assumed the same for hippos by extension). Even so, should be as simple as modding the necessary token into the hippo's raws.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 02:52:06 am »

This is a very inspiring suggestion. Thank you for posting this.
Max avatar size is 80x80

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2024, 08:16:39 am »

If you ride a amphibious mount through water though you'll be in the water too and drown if you can't swim.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 05:07:41 am »

If you ride a amphibious mount through water though you'll be in the water too and drown if you can't swim.

I recall that being an issue with amphibious mounts, but is it still relevant now that the mounter is in control rather than the mountee? Like would an elf riding a hippo path through water (this should be testable in Arena Mode)?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2024, 12:12:26 pm »

Start on cave crocodiles which are amphibious and can be mounted, and work your way up onto hippos i suppose.

The most common fatalities on cave crocodiles from fortmode at least is drowning, but i do believe i remember that horses and the like have difficulties fording rivers in 47.05.