Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Evil Overlord, a suggestion homage game  (Read 1289 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Evil Overlord, a suggestion homage game
« on: February 07, 2024, 06:29:33 pm »

This was one of my favorite games here.

Shadenight123 has been active within the last couple years, but actually hasn't posted in nearly a decade.  I'm not the writer they are/were (last they said, they wrote a book!) but I mean to 'blast from the past' and explore my own creative side.  Perhaps some of you would like to come with me, if so, let's see where together we go.

But since this is homage, this begins exactly like it did, once long ago.

You are an Evil Overlord.
First off however, is the world by itself.

Is the World Magical (middle-age like), Scientifically advanced (future), Steampunk (Renaissance-period), Grimdark (nineteen-eighty-four like), Sunshine and Bunnies (Other World completely) or Realistic (Nowaday-present)?

What is your Overlord style? Destruction? Control? A Mix of the two?

What is your 'Evil' meter like? You kick puppies? You steal candy from kids? You mug a woman? You rob a bank? You enter into the High-Security prison waltzing and spewing magma?

What is the one symbol that defines your Evil Overlordness? (A Symbol that all good guys will see and point their fingers, before claiming: AH! IT'S THE SHADOW'S SYMBOL! -The shadow? The shadow! The shadow...-)

Decisions:  I will go primarily with majority vote and/or find a way to blend near ties.  I may occasionally and randomly honor unusual suggestions even if they don't get popular support.

There are likely to be characters besides the Evil Overlord Themself (One does need someone to Overlord over, after all) and these characters will potentially be adoptable (and kidnapable, if we go on a mission and people want captives, that's entirely possible if things go well).
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Overlord, a suggestion homage game
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 08:36:46 pm »

1984-like sounds cool. No preferences on any of the other choices.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 09:27:12 pm »

Evil Overlord List. Worship it, embrace it, read it, follow it. And our symbol is a Scroll gripped in a hand.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 01:36:33 am »

I love it!

Will we follow the Evil Overlord List?  You'll all have plenty of chances to guide is that way, or not.  It is a suggestions game!  Rubs hands together and gets to happily plotting interesting joy for us all.

Starting to research Grimdark tonight, just in case!

Make most enemies human or at least humanoid. Killing a poor thief should feel worse than killing a strange monster.

Make actual monsters rare and dangerous. Keep their nature mysterious. Never call a monster by it's name...

More suggestions fully welcome!  I expect to leave this voting stage open until late Friday/Saturday, unless we get several suggestions before then.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 01:53:52 am »

1984 sounds like a fun place to start.

No idea what to pick on the others so I'll leave that up to someone else.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 12:36:32 pm »

Evil Overlord List. Worship it, embrace it, read it, follow it. And our symbol is a Scroll gripped in a hand.
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 07:09:16 pm »

Overlord style: Control.
Evil level: We do what we must because we can. Doing evil is instrumental to a goal, not a lifestyle choice of its own. But if the situation demands stealing magma from a puppy bank, so be it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 01:50:15 am »

Evil level: We do what we must because we can. Doing evil is instrumental to a goal, not a lifestyle choice of its own. But if the situation demands stealing magma from a puppy bank, so be it.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2024, 07:27:34 pm »

+1
+1
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2024, 11:33:16 am »

1984-like
Control
Wide spectrum 'Evil' meter, hard to predict what you'll do next with a lean towards pragmatism.
Symbol: Scroll gripped in a hand

You are an evil Overlord.
That much is a given. Your symbol is a scroll gripped in a hand, which you place whereever you see fit, though perhaps with thought to the consequences it may bring to be so obvious or even to be detectable at all.
You enjoy manipulating events and ensuring outcomes work to your plan.  Outwitting simpletons comes way too easy for you, but if you want some baby's candy, could anyone stop you?
You believe not in destruction, but in Control.

You now have to choose.

Are you a 1984-like-Magic Oriented, or a 1984-like-Technology Oriented Overlord?
Are your minions Humans or Monsters?
Are you a man or a woman?
Finally...
What is your name?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2024, 03:54:29 pm »

I'm voting for Magic, Monsters, Man, and... Magisterio the Magnificent, by day a popular stage magician for children. Contrary to the usual trope, we don't use the real magic of our demon servants in our act, because that would ruin the fun.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2024, 02:33:45 am »

I'm voting for Magic, Monsters, Man, and... Magisterio the Magnificent, by day a popular stage magician for children. Contrary to the usual trope, we don't use the real magic of our demon servants in our act, because that would ruin the fun.
+1

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2024, 01:55:03 pm »

I'm probably leaving current suggestions open until late Monday, and most game steps will be open 3-4 days for suggestions and discussion (once the game starts, and if people claim characters from the cast of choices you have, there could be some interest in discussion.  See the OP for link to the general design of this game that I'm following, while your choices have already changed important and major things, the general game format will be similar).

If anyone finds this pace too fast or too slow, please let us know!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2024, 02:18:55 pm »

+1
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2024, 09:58:21 pm »

1984-like-Magic
Monsters
Man
Magisterio the Magnificent

Your name is Magisterio the Magnificent! You are the terror of all humanity, for your mighty monster-mooks follow you blindly upon your quest for Evilness! Your powerful armies will be composed with mighty Magic, and none shall stop you!

You now have everything to Embark Upon Your Epic Quest for Evilness!
ARE YOU READY FOR EVIL!?

Year One of your Epic Quest for Evilness - Day One - Hour One - Your Evil Lair

The terrible monsters which belong to you are known as...

Albino Leviathan Gators

They are possessed giant albino sewer alligators, and they are extremely Evil.
Problems:  They are Static.  They are Complete Darkness Only creatures.  Your Lair is automatically Underground, Near the Water, and Dark.

The basic Mooks you can hire are known as...Arcane Swarm!

They are your fleshy sacs of defense, albeit they are actually conscripted from whatever avilable pests you can make your magic work on.  Currently you've enchanted 10 cockroaches to be larger, stronger, and smarter than average, and they obey simple directions well.  They also feed on debris, make messes, and are generally more suited on following normal cockroach behavior rather than actually being smart. You could call them your 'gutter guardians', but you might prefer to use them as your 'vermin vanguard'.
They are Undoubtedly Loyal however, and will never betray you.

The Dark Minions you can command are...Shadow Caw.

Once common city creatures, these winged Minions are eager heralds of your ominous power. Bearing the mark of your scroll clutched within your hand within their eyes and upon their plumage, they can unleash minor curses upon your foes, sowing chaos and fear with every beat of their wings and can manipulate observed small shiny objects from a small distance.
Problem:  They are show offs.  They will try to Distract and/or a Small Steal Shiny Object first, no matter what the Enemy is, what you asked them to do, or whatever else there is in the area. They do give a small bonus to control, but the dratted birds have no self control themselves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Your Lair is located deep under the sprawling City Named-A, a serpentine labyrinth of old and no-longer maintained sewer tunnels that have eroded in places to join with some natural karst caverns.  Too bad for this city; one day a few hundred years from now it'll probably have a lot of sinkholes, if the whole of it doesn't just collapse at once.  Good thing for those people above that you're far more interested in control than destruction; but tearing the entire city down early is a clear option should that become your goal instead - a likely Very Obvious and Multi-Turned action that might draw Much Attention.  But would they find you in time, or be able to undo the damage already done by time if you added your Effort to the Passage of Time?

Your Alligators patrol the tunnels and caverns around and throughout your base, every so often catching and almost eating one of your arcane swarm before their training kicks in and they release the creature again.  Your pair of Shadow Caw race about, playing tricks on each other and taunting your alligators, occasionally dancing coins, shiny trash, and razor blades through the air and squabbling about who get to catch and hide these treasures or keep them dancing mid-air.

Truly, you expected more when you committed to this, but apparently there's prices to pay and power to gain before things can be the way you want them. At least you have your Dark Advisor, the Scroll you've made your symbol, gripped within your very hand.  Those that think they are the Powers That Be are annoyingly ruthless, authoritarian, and bothersome.  All of your life they have limited your performances, required you to showcase their propaganda during your act, and even surveilled you in your home.  But with The Scroll now Gripped in your Hand, you have some real freedom again.

There's a Demon on the Other Side of the Scroll, you are sure of this.  Haven't learned Its Name yet, not sure the extent of Its Powers.  But It has honestly protected you and hidden your activities since right before you found It.  And It seems to be giving you far more than just the Illusion of Control, for all It has Told you that you Must Earn Your Happy Ending or whatever else you want, and far better is to come if you succeed.

Without It, you couldn't even enter the Forbidden Forgotten Sewers that hide your Lair.  Any deviation from your expected and assigned routine and you'd be Reeducated, or just Disappear.  But your Scroll and Its Demon possess strong illusion magic and have Hidden and Empowered you.  It cannot hide everything you might do, but when you're supposedly sleeping or reviewing the Government's Propaganda, the Scroll can take you away from that waste of time and leave you free to act as you choose, leaving behind the illusion of you doing only what the city-state expects you to.  You enter and leave your Lair by unrolling the Scroll fully and stepping through it, though It has warned you that you can still be seen if you allow that when as you go about on Missions or even Defend Your Lair.

You're not sure if the Scroll is an Object or a Demon, but it's definitely not human which makes it acceptable to your strict standards of 'No Humans Tolerated Within My Ranks'.

You now stand on your Overlord-Like throne, a platform of limestone that your Crows have been trained to keep trash away from.  Updrafts from the karst caverns keep the sewer stench at bay.  Your Scroll is spread across a stone protuberance, and It converses with you in your mind.

"My Nefarious Overlord!" the Demonic Voice within your mind is filled with glee, "Today we will do our first Evil Mission!"

Upon your Scroll forms a map of the continent with two locations outside of the City and a third within it each marked with a bright red X.  Sinuous underground paths show the way to each X, but the distant ones are Much Too Far To Walk.

Mission Number One: We need more money. Rob another City's Bank. Destruction.
Mission Number Two: We need more infrastructure. Kidnap a Submarine, it could probably be adapted to navigate through the underground tunnels, which we can work on Flooding Further if needed. (Even vehicles have souls!)  Mixed.
Mission Number Three: We need more minions. Kidnap and Corrupt People from this City's Streets. Control.

"So, choose one my Evil Overlordness!" burbles that eager Demonic Voice in your mind.  "I can transport up to 5 individuals to an Out-Of-City location and any survivors and a Reasonable Amount of Loot back afterwards, should this Scroll Remain Intact.  If you Take Captives from a Distant Location then bringing them back could be a problem for now if there Were No Casualties, but you can always choose to Abandon Someone To Find Their Own Way Back, and they might eventually do so.  We can replace small numbers of Arcane Swarm Mooks easily if you want that done.  If we can Empower Your Scroll, I may be able to help you even more, but today's Missions unfortunately are not directly going to help do that.

If you choose to Stay Within The City, you can send 10 individuals on the Mission.  As this is your first Mission, nobody's expecting you, and whatever you choose today is probably less difficult than anything is ever going to be again!"

Explanations

The Evil Actions and You!-The more You Know About Evil!
How does the Turn Work?

Money? Energy? Everything Nice?

End Note

Remember, think not what Evil can do for you, think what YOU can do for Evil!

Human Monstrous Resources at the Moment

Three Albino Leviathan Gators.

Ten Arcane Swarm.

Two Shadow Caw.

One Dark Advisor (Your Scroll that you often keep Gripped in Your Hand!)

You, Magisterio the Magnificent!
Pages: [1] 2